Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2014, 02:50 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default The Lykins 496 Post Dyno

LoBelly and Dimis like this.

Last edited by 601HP; 02-20-2015 at 07:24 AM..
Old 11-09-2014, 02:55 PM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 427 S/C, Twin Paxton 511 FE
Not Ranked     

Very pretty!
Congrats.
I recognize a few of those parts
Old 11-09-2014, 06:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Coombe, Shelby Block 496
Not Ranked     

So nice!, I want one!
Thinking you may have to consider changing your log in name, (601HP)
Maybe upping that 6 to a 7?
Old 11-09-2014, 07:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427, 427/487 side-oiler
Not Ranked     

Nice. Very neat and clean work, obviously. What is that intake?
Old 11-09-2014, 08:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by lippy View Post
What is that intake?
A Tunnel Wedge I believe...

I once found one jogging
In the park I found...

Where's RK?
1795 likes this.
Old 11-10-2014, 02:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

It's an impressive piece. I especially like that you're dressing it up with period style accessories. Very nice!
Old 11-10-2014, 03:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Beautiful motor. I also like the understated, original style accessories - fuel log, wires, fuel filter and lines, etc. That is classy motor.
Old 11-10-2014, 04:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

Well, it wasn't really stripped down, we just can't use some of the parts on the dyno....fuel log, filter, lines, etc. I can usually dyno with the pulleys on and let the engine turn the water pump, but to be honest, I didn't find the water pump pulley until the evening before David came to pick the engine up.

As for the period correct items, they certainly do look classy and awesome. However, I have been discussing with David about changing some of those items for the sake of being able to feed 700 hp. In my estimations, he has picked up about 185 hp over the last iteration and the fuel demand has changed in proportion. There's only so much fuel you can push through a 1966-ish style fuel filter, log, and line.

She's a beaut' for sure. Love looking at the pictures.
Old 11-10-2014, 05:32 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by blykins View Post
Well, it wasn't really stripped down, we just can't use some of the parts on the dyno....fuel log, filter, lines, etc. I can usually dyno with the pulleys on and let the engine turn the water pump, but to be honest, I didn't find the water pump pulley until the evening before David came to pick the engine up.

As for the period correct items, they certainly do look classy and awesome. However, I have been discussing with David about changing some of those items for the sake of being able to feed 700 hp. In my estimations, he has picked up about 185 hp over the last iteration and the fuel demand has changed in proportion. There's only so much fuel you can push through a 1966-ish style fuel filter, log, and line.

She's a beaut' for sure. Love looking at the pictures.
I may stop by the local volunteer firehouse and look for some unused hose to cobble into a larger fuel delivery line!
Old 11-10-2014, 09:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: # 757 ERA 427 SC , 482 Al. big block
Not Ranked     

Brent , David ... beautiful engine ! Now comes the fun of getting it to hook up !

Brent ... curious what the restriction on the fuel system is ..... log , filter and lines or all three ?? I have a log I`m wanting to put on mine ( only 612 hp ) and it looks like it has about the same internal volume as the AN fuel lines that connect to a Holley .
Old 11-10-2014, 09:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Just going off of conversations that I've had with fuel system manufacturers in the past, a true 700 hp engine needs at least a -8 AN (1/2") feed line from the tank/cell to the pump, and of course no restriction to the carbs.

If I were building David's car from scratch, I would use a big electric pump, a -10AN line from the tank to a dual outlet regulator in the front of the car, and then branch out from each outlet to each carb with at least a -6 line, if not a -8.

I didn't take a good look at the filter he was using, but I can't imagine a stock-ish style filter designed to handle 425 hp would suffice here. Plus he had a 3/8" hard line going from the pump to the carbs, which doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling. The log is designed for a typical factory Ford 2x4 setup, so again, the volume is not going to be there.

Knowing what I know about the dyno I use, I definitely would not want to supply this engine with anything that's considered "borderline."

I have also advised David to ditch the rubber hoses as they have a bad habit of breaking down from today's pump gas. Since there are no filters in between the rubber hoses and the carbs, all of that would end up in the fuel bowls.
Old 11-10-2014, 09:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sorry, double post.
Old 11-10-2014, 10:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

I have wondered about the fuel log and overall fuel delivery capability. My fuel log from Keith Craft looks very similar to David's going by the finish which looks like a dull Cad plating. I recently replaced mine with another one from Cobra Restorers that has a shiny Cad plating but the 45 deg fitting was not as well drilled out and looked more restrictive. I may go back to the dull, finished one. Also the 5/16 inch fuel hoses to each carb seem a bit marginal - nice if they were 3/8 inch. And the filter - well, what can you say if your are trying to keep to period details for the most part? I can rationalize by acknowledging that I'm not trying to feed 700 HP anyway.

Old 11-10-2014, 11:12 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
I have wondered about the fuel log and overall fuel delivery capability. My fuel log from Keith Craft looks very similar to David's going by the finish which looks like a dull Cad plating. I recently replaced mine with another one from Cobra Restorers that has a shiny Cad plating but the 45 deg fitting was not as well drilled out and looked more restrictive. I may go back to the dull, finished one. Also the 5/16 inch fuel hoses to each carb seem a bit marginal - nice if they were 3/8 inch. And the filter - well, what can you say if your are trying to keep to period details for the most part? I can rationalize by acknowledging that I'm not trying to feed 700 HP anyway.

Dan,
The barbs on my log are 3/8" diameter, just to let you know they exist. I believe mine came from Carl's Ford Parts. When I had the tail end -4 male fitting welded on for connection to a fuel pressure gauge, the original finish became nasty looking from the heat. I powder coated it to the current finish.

Thank you for the compliments on the engine! If I keep staring at it, it may end up in the family room instead of the car.

David

Last edited by 601HP; 11-10-2014 at 11:15 AM..
Old 11-10-2014, 03:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimis View Post
A Tunnel Wedge I believe...

I once found one jogging
In the park I found...

Where's RK?
Don't start that again...

It is a beautiful looking engine. Awesome!
Old 11-11-2014, 03:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 601HP View Post
Dan,
The barbs on my log are 3/8" diameter, just to let you know they exist. I believe mine came from Carl's Ford Parts. When I had the tail end -4 male fitting welded on for connection to a fuel pressure gauge, the original finish became nasty looking from the heat. I powder coated it to the current finish.

Thank you for the compliments on the engine! If I keep staring at it, it may end up in the family room instead of the car.

David
Ah - 3/8 inch barbs and fuel line sound a bit better for feeding those two carbs. Is the repro set up from the pump also 3/8 inch or is it up-sized?

It is a great looking engine.
Old 11-11-2014, 04:12 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
Ah - 3/8 inch barbs and fuel line sound a bit better for feeding those two carbs. Is the repro set up from the pump also 3/8 inch or is it up-sized?

It is a great looking engine.
The hard lines are also 3/8" for now.

Brent suggested I enlarge the fuel pump's IN and OUT ports, increase line size from pump to filter and to the log, and use a larger log. So those lines will be increased to 1/2" and cobrakiwi will fabricate a new log.

David

Last edited by 601HP; 11-11-2014 at 04:15 AM..
Old 11-11-2014, 06:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thats beautiful, what distributor is in there Ihad a unilite but when Iput duel qauds on was to tall for aircleaner so I got stock distributor and put pertronix in it but yours looks like it might work on mine . Although Ihave a lowriser if anyone wants to chime in on a distributor which will work with lowriser
Old 11-11-2014, 06:33 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangman View Post
Thats beautiful, what distributor is in there Ihad a unilite but when Iput duel qauds on was to tall for aircleaner so I got stock distributor and put pertronix in it but yours looks like it might work on mine . Although Ihave a lowriser if anyone wants to chime in on a distributor which will work with lowriser
An MSD.

David
Old 11-11-2014, 07:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

That isnt a low riser intake though I wonder if that will fit under air cleaner with my manifold

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: