Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2014, 09:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     
Default Lykins Motorsports 427FE Build...

Doing this one as a follow-up engine for a local KY guy. If you followed this build, Lykins Motorsports 347SBF Build... , this FE belongs to the same guy. Lucky guy.

The small block was built for an FFR Daytona Coupe and the 427 is being built for a FFR Cobra.

There weren't many stipulations on this build, just that it came in at around 427 cubes and it was a little peppy on the cam side, with little to no maintenance. So...the recipe consists of:

*Pond cast iron block, 4.280" bore
*Factory $ crankshaft, fresh at .010/.010
*Scat H-beam FE rods
*Diamond forged pistons, 10:1 SCR, 1/16, 1/16, 3/16 ring pack
*Pond aluminum CNC ported heads
*Edelbrock Performer RPM intake
*Bullet solid flat tappet cam, 243/249 @ .050", .620" lift, 109 LSA
*T&D street rockers
*Refinished/rebuilt Holley 750 carburetor

Should be fun, and I will post build pics and results as always.

I'm having a little contest with a forum member, Rick Bagley. I built his 427 several months back, which made 476 hp and 489 lb-ft of torque. If this build makes 525 hp, he's buying me a cheeseburger.
Old 11-11-2014, 05:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Should be a nice motor with those heads Ithimk you get that number and your cheeseburger
Old 11-11-2014, 06:02 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Not Ranked     

Solid Flat Tappet. PatrickT needs to build a bigger clubhouse!
Dimis likes this.
Old 11-11-2014, 06:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 838
Not Ranked     

Brent,

What is the price range on an engine like this? Rough estimate is fine. It sounds pretty straight forward

John
Old 11-12-2014, 02:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

John, $18-20k depending on what heads, options, etc. This one is parked at almost $20k, but has CNC ported Pond heads, port matched Performer RPM intake, EDM solid flat tappet lifters, Diamond pistons, etc, etc. It's also ready to drop in, down to the coil, plug wires, alternator, brackets, pulleys, belt, etc.
Old 11-12-2014, 03:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Some goodies....

Pond block:

The Pond cast iron blocks are a little meaty and heavy, but they will also take a 4.400" bore size. Really nice pieces though, aluminum screw-in freeze plugs, billet main caps that are doweled, etc.

I'm used to looking at stroker pistons with compression heights down to 1.100"...this one is at a robust 1.775" because of the short stroke and factory sized rod journal/length.

Haven't got it to the balancer yet, but here's the factory steel crankshaft...

It's a little grimy from sitting, but it will clean up very nicely.

And finally, the Pond heads that we're using on this build. 2.250/1.750 valve sizes, springs set up for a solid flat tappet camshaft. You'll notice that the inner springs are missing for break-in. Chambers are cut down to 78cc.

BTW, is anyone using Photobucket for their pictures? It has turned into a steaming pile of poo as far as software goes. I've wasted a good 10 minutes trying to rotate the cylinder head picture.

Last edited by blykins; 11-12-2014 at 03:15 AM..
Old 11-12-2014, 05:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 758 482FE
Not Ranked     

That should be a very cool revvy big block. I understand why you run a single valve spring for break in, but what did they do on the original factory engines in every day cars? Or was it unnecessary due to the less aggressive cam profiles?
Old 11-12-2014, 05:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Dreaming of a 427 Competition car...
Not Ranked     

I enjoy reading your posts, Brent. This engine looks great and the specification sounds good too.

For what it's worth, I agree about Photobucket. I have a slightly less polite name for it that sounds similar...

Paul
Old 11-12-2014, 05:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Rub,

Cams were a lot less aggressive back in the day. The valve spring pressures back then were basically the spring pressures that I'm using now, without the inners.

There's also a general disagreement as to why flat tappet cams fail these days....metallurgy, oils, lobe aggression, spring pressure, etc. I don't do a lot of these, but when I do, I have all my ducks in a row: make sure the lifters all rotate, run Brad Penn break-in oil, take inner springs out, and I usually run a Bullet cam since they have more taper in their lobes, which helps the lifters spin. I also run the Crower EDM lifters as well, as they have a direct oiling hole that keeps the lobe wet.

Cobraboy, I didn't have any issue until a few weeks ago when I updated by Photobucket app on my iPhone. I snap all my pictures with my phone then upload it directly through the app. The new version of the app just plain stinks. I'm looking for something different.
Old 11-12-2014, 06:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I just checked the cam card, I fat-fingered some of the specs. LSA is 108, lift is .610".
Old 11-18-2014, 11:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by blykins View Post
Some goodies....

BTW, is anyone using Photobucket for their pictures? It has turned into a steaming pile of poo as far as software goes. I've wasted a good 10 minutes trying to rotate the cylinder head picture.
I've used Photobucket for a few years, and before the software update it was simple to use but very very slow which was my gripe, and at first I didn't like the upgrade, but after using it for a while and being able to figure out how navigate thru all the new options it became much easier to use. So I flipped your picture for you.

Old 11-20-2014, 02:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I have used Photobucket for quite a while, and after the software update it was harder to maneuver around the updated site at first, it's just a minor learning curve.

Any pic that is loaded to the site, move your cursor to upper right corner then click on edit then click on orientation then rotate your pic as needed, then save it, then copy & paste away.

I rotated the pic of the head for you and tried to post it, but Club Cobra won't let me post pic's yet.

Brent couple of questions, but first I wanted to say how you made me laugh when you were referring to the Diamond pistons pin height and the cranks short stroke, referencing a stock stroke as a short stroke crank, and I know it may seem that way to you now after all the stroker motors you have built, but it did make me laugh...

I was wanting to know what the weight of the crank is and the weight of the pistons ? The reason I am asking is I have a factory steel crank but mine has 2 extra counterweights off the center main, so I was curious as to what one weighs with out the center weights.

Thanks

Last edited by 1967 XR7 GT; 11-20-2014 at 07:14 PM..
Old 11-21-2014, 04:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

My biggest issue with Photobucket is that the iPhone app interface is totally jacked up. Once I actually get a picture to the website, I prefer the online application. However, the app on my phone is so horribly inefficient. Takes an hour to get it uploaded to the website sometimes.

I've already got the rotating assembly loaded up to go to the balancer this morning, but I'll be more than happy to weigh stuff for you when it gets back. I'm thinking the pistons were on the extreme high side of 500 grams.
Old 11-21-2014, 05:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

595g....
Old 11-21-2014, 09:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Is that a little or a lot?
Old 11-21-2014, 10:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Pretty heavy for a modern forged piston, but my hands are tied when I'm working with such a tall piston. 1.775" is tall compared to 1.300" pistons for longer stroke engines.
Old 11-21-2014, 07:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Brent I use to take pics with my phone but it was such a pain, that I went out and bought a camera, best thing I ever did, I've changed phones over the years, but I still use the same camera and it still takes excellent pictures.

Let me make a suggestion, try taking pictures with your phone but don't use the iphone photobucket photo app, then email the pics to yourself at either your shop or home computer which ever one it is, then down load the pics to photobucket from your computer. It's an extra stept, but you may save the time your wasting on the iphone app by going around it.

Thanks for the piston weight. 595gr. is not that bad, a TRW 427 piston weighs about 800gr.

I found the C4AE 6303 G cranks out of the High Riser had a 2,303.5 gr. bobweight, so Brent I would also be interested in what bobweight it took to balance out the crank your using.

Last edited by 1967 XR7 GT; 11-21-2014 at 07:41 PM..
Old 11-22-2014, 04:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967 XR7 GT View Post
Brent I use to take pics with my phone but it was such a pain, that I went out and bought a camera, best thing I ever did, I've changed phones over the years, but I still use the same camera and it still takes excellent pictures.

Let me make a suggestion, try taking pictures with your phone but don't use the iphone photobucket photo app, then email the pics to yourself at either your shop or home computer which ever one it is, then down load the pics to photobucket from your computer. It's an extra stept, but you may save the time your wasting on the iphone app by going around it.

Thanks for the piston weight. 595gr. is not that bad, a TRW 427 piston weighs about 800gr.

I found the C4AE 6303 G cranks out of the High Riser had a 2,303.5 gr. bobweight, so Brent I would also be interested in what bobweight it took to balance out the crank your using.
I'll post the bobweight when I get it.

As for using BBC rod journals, we do it all the time, and the oil hole isn't the issue. The issue, is using a wider rod on an FE rod journal, as the journal has to be widened considerably. This can't be done on a crank grinder as it would make quick waste of the wheel, but it has to be done on a mill. Just gotta have access to the right crank guy...

I've used BBC rods on several factory cranks, and have even used SBC rods on some aftermarket cranks.

Last edited by blykins; 11-22-2014 at 04:03 AM..
Old 11-22-2014, 03:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the bobweight and the weight of the crank when your able, that will help me out a lot. Which factory crank are you using on this build ?

So to keep the stock stroke and go to a BBC jrl, a .100" or so has to be removed from the jrl, but that's .100" or so from the top & bottom, and when you remove over .100" from the top of the jrl, the oil hole moves toward the jrl radius, which can be an issue, so I stayed with the stock jrl size.

I am trying to keep from taking your Thread off topic.
Old 11-22-2014, 03:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I started a thread of my own but it has pictures, and it's currently in ClubCobra Limbo until my post count gets above some amount ? But the weight specifics of the parts you are using in your build, are around what I may need for mine.

Last edited by 1967 XR7 GT; 11-22-2014 at 04:02 PM.. Reason: This was a double post so I edited it.