Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By RICK LAKE

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-25-2014, 05:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrison/Side Oiler
Not Ranked     
Default FE Harmonic Balancer and Pulley?

My stock 427 fe harmonic balancer has a single integral v pulley(about 6.5" dia.), which is attached to the assembly, and the whole assembly is held in with one bolt to the crankshaft.

While removing the cast iron water pump to install an edlebrock aluminum water pump, I noticed the original aluminum water pump pulley, will not fit the edlebrock water pump. The spacing for the 4 bolts is wider on my original aluminum pulley. What is needed to install the edlebrock aluminum water pump? I already have given you information about my harmonic balancer above. I have already called edlebrock to see if there was an error on their 8805 water pump, but everything checked out.

Please Chime In,
Tom

Last edited by talos; 11-25-2014 at 11:29 PM..
Old 11-26-2014, 04:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

As far as I know there is only one popular pulley bolt pattern for FE water pumps.
We install a lot of them. Maybe some industrial application might be different - but not anything normal.

Your lower pulley/damper arrangement sounds pretty typical for an earlier FE. Romac offers a very nice aluminum outer replacement that would look good with your other alloy parts.

"I can do that....."

Engine Masters Challenge Entries
91 octane - single 4bbl - mufflers
2008 - 429 cid FE HR - 675HP
2007 - 429 cid FE MR - 659HP
2006 - 434 cid FE MR - 678HP
2005 - 505 cid FE MR - 752HP
Old 11-28-2014, 02:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default superdampener

Talos Superdampener makes a dampener to work on an FE crank shaft. It is fluid encased. This is from ATI. Here's the issues I have with it.
When the fluid is cold, takes from 1-3 minutes for the weight to adjust and remove vibrations from the motor. you sometimes get a wicked vibration. I have used the same one for 15 years. After the fluid warms, the weight moves and the vibration stops. You should always allow a motor to warm up before driving or racing alway. This also allows the enging oil to do the same.
Other problem is the bolt pattern on the ATI is for BBC pulleys. Here you have a choice of either drilling out the pulley for BBC bolt pattern or getting a pulley with the correct depth and pattern that clears. I have done the first and now have a BBC crank pulley of 6" on the bottom with a dual belt. I run P/S system on my car. If you have an extra $500.00 ATI will send a guy out to custom match the dampener to the motor for less vibrations. If you google FE dampeners or look on e-bay, there are a couple of after market ones.
Couple of opitions, ASP racing in Texas makes custom pulleys from scratch Ask for Lee. 24 hour turn around. you just need the correct size diameter, bolt pattern, number of grooves depth and inner diameter to have it mount flush and coating of clear or any other color you may want. I got a P/S pulley from him, works great and has 15 years on it of racing. It's one solid made pulley. There is extra meat on it. You can have lightening holes drilled to drop weight. You know about CVF. Iwould think they could also hand your problem. The other thing is have the water pump mounting surfaced machined down to clear the pulley and drill 4 new holes. Watch the depth and make sure the pulley doesn't rub on the water pump housing. I had to trim off a pulley outter groove to clear with march pulleys and water pump snout. Good luck Rick L.
Ralphy likes this.