Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2015, 05:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default 1963 1/2 Ford 427 Timing question

Hi Everyone, I just put in a 282 competition cam into my ford 427 63 1/2 center oilier. Looking at what my timing should be at. Im finding that she is running hotter then what it should be. Above the 200 degree mark. Also put in a new Puller fan to help cool it. What temp should i have it to turn on. Right now its in the 190-200 range on turning on.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thankyou
Nelson
Old 06-13-2015, 03:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

+/- 16-18 deg BTDC.

190 deg is good.
Old 06-15-2015, 03:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thankyou, is that at idle for 16-18 degree or at higher RPM
Old 06-15-2015, 04:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

I anticipate he means initial timing which is all that would show at idle. But - it also depends on how your distributor is set up. My 427 dual point distributor provides 22 degrees centrifugal advance at the crank - so I run 14 to 15 degrees initial timing for a total of 36 to 37. I could go up a bit more with my modest compression motor but that's where it is for now. If you don't know the advance curve in your distributor then you should have it checked on a Sun machine or use a dial back timing light to time it so you don't end up with too much total advance.
Old 06-15-2015, 05:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automan View Post
Thankyou, is that at idle for 16-18 degree or at higher RPM
idle.
Old 06-15-2015, 09:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Wow, im way off. Currently i am at 10 degrees. So would my engine run cooler then when i increase my timing?

Also, my distributor has two ports for vacuum but currently not running them. Never could get the engine to run well with them hooked up.
Name:  DSC09108.jpg
Views: 571
Size:  94.7 KB
Old 06-15-2015, 11:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Your timing is not way off - at least it's on the right side of TDC But a little more timing at idle will smooth it out some and should cool it down. You can get there either through more initial timing (as long as total initial and centrifugal advance don't exceed 36 to 38 deg) or run vacuum advance to a full time vacuum connection on your carb (not ported vacuum).

From the description of the distributor (two vacuum ports) it sounds like a later 60s model smog distributor. They had some crazy stuff back then - I think it brought in vacuum advance in some situations and then the other port took it back out in others - definitely not good for performance.

So in short - I would forget the vacuum advance and get a dial back timing light and check your total of initial and centrifugal advance and see what it is. If the total is only about 32 or 33 degrees then you can safely crank in another 4 or 5 degrees of initial timing. However, if this is a smog distributor it probably has a lot of centrifugal advance built in it and 10 deg may be all you can time it for. In that case I would find another distributor or get someone to re-curve yours for you. I know someone who can do that if you want to send it to him.
Old 06-15-2015, 11:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here's the guy who can custom tune your Ford distributor. Tims a real nice guy and did great work on mine.

Tim O'Connor Distributor Rebuilding and Restoration - Home
Old 06-15-2015, 11:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

I think everyone here is on the right track. I have the same engine and cam as you but I am running some other things to help it out a bit. Heads, Intake, ROller rockers, solid lifters, etc.

I run about 37 degree all in timing and I don't run hot but I am only bored .015 over stock (I left a little room for another complete rebuild down the road). Also, start your engine and crack the front of your intake manifold just behind your thermostat and crack that fitting and allow all your air to purge once your engine gets up to temp.

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 06-15-2015, 12:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

So you think i might still have air in the system. I have noticed since the rebuild, only 20 miles on since the rebuild, that the rad cap is still venting hours after running it.
Old 06-15-2015, 05:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have heard that FEs are hard to bleed all the air out of the cooling system. It's possible you could still have some air in there. I have not experienced that problem but I did take ERA's advise and drill a small hole in the thermostat and orient it at the top.