Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Barry_R

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-16-2015, 07:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 S/C, FE 440, top-loader, 3.31
Not Ranked     
Default FE Leaking oil at distributor

OEM block. Mallory Diz. Edel manifold. Started leaking at hole badly 2 k miles ago. Put in a new felpro seal. Slid in fine all is aligned in hole. After 3 heat cycles leaking again. Motor has 14 K on it. I have a Pcv valve in manifold. A k and n breather on valve cover. I have increased blow by being a bit messy around breather. What can I do with this distributor leak? Messy motor in FL
Old 06-16-2015, 09:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #2660, FE-406
Not Ranked     

Well you want to ask why now. I'd guess a recent development that compromises your venting properly. Replace PCV valve and check hoses for cracks, blockages, clamps tight, fittings sealed properly.
Old 06-16-2015, 09:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #2660, FE-406
Not Ranked     

Well you want to ask why now. I'd guess a recent development that compromises your venting properly. Replace PCV valve and check hoses for cracks, blockages, clamps tight, fittings sealed properly. I'd guess you already checked oil overfill. If nothing, pull 1/2 to 1 quart out, see if that helps.
Old 06-17-2015, 02:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 S/C, FE 440, top-loader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Will venting to the air cleaner base be a help also ? I can add a fitting there with a hose and change oil filler to one with a male nipple .
Old 06-17-2015, 03:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Blow by??

Young1 There might be a problem with the surface on the manifold where the distributor goes through it.
Quick questions, Can you turn the distributor my hand with it bolted on the manifold? If yes may need to get a stronger retaining plate or new one. If no lets look at the bolt that retains the fork on the housing and add sealer to the threads and retork to spec. If this doesn't change anything and it still leaks lets start the motor and to a couple of revs to 2,500 rpms and see if blue smoke or any smoke comes from the valve covers Make sure the PVC is also sucking. If all this checks out,
Iwas going to add dye and find where the leak is coming from. We have had guys think there rear main seal is leaking and it turns out to be the oil pan from the front of the motor.
The last thing is how much machine work was done to the block, heads, and manifold. Where the gaps the same on both sides front and back of the motor. I am thinking the intake manifold may have shifted and added stress the the distributor and causing the leak. With distributor out, pull the oil pump drive and check it for wear. Sam with the gear on the bottom of the distributor. May be worn out and causing same problem. Might want to replace the gear even if it looks OK. PS I had nothing but problems with Mallory and went to Accel and then MSD. Good luck Rick L.
Old 06-24-2015, 03:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

If its leaking at the distributor you can add a rubber band (or similar) behind the angle cut O-ring seal to tighten & dry things up.

Check your valve cover breather to make certain it has not become clogged over time. Might need to be replaced or soaked & washed out.
PJ UPTMOR likes this.

"I can do that....."

Engine Masters Challenge Entries
91 octane - single 4bbl - mufflers
2008 - 429 cid FE HR - 675HP
2007 - 429 cid FE MR - 659HP
2006 - 434 cid FE MR - 678HP
2005 - 505 cid FE MR - 752HP