Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 06-30-2015, 09:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #684, 482FE, Mike Mccluskey build
Send a message via Skype™ to fordracing65
Not Ranked     
Question Side oilder gargae 427 block

Anyone seen or used the new Genesis block, (side oiler garage), it is closer to a Pond block than a Shelby, Barry has had a few im sure he will chime in, compared to a Pond I wonder how they differ and if one is better or more desirable to build with...
Old 07-01-2015, 02:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

I thought you bought a Shelby short block from Keith.
Old 07-01-2015, 03:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 744/428/TKO 600
Not Ranked     

I couldn't be happier with my first generation Genesis 427 side oiler. Best of luck to the new management.
Old 07-01-2015, 03:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Survival Motorsports aluminum FE 482
Not Ranked     

My engine is a side oiler garage block, Barry build it and said it looked good. Should be on the road in a week or two.
Old 07-01-2015, 06:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroit Bill View Post
My engine is a side oiler garage block, Barry build it and said it looked good. Should be on the road in a week or two.
Sounds great, I think its cool these new blocks are usa made, I was thinking on an iron block for my dads truck build...
Old 07-03-2015, 08:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I've done several now. I think we received about 8 or 9 iron ones and a larger number of aluminum. So far they have been pretty decent. Not perfect, but few things truly are. All have been built or are in process somewhere with a single exception noted below.

The first run of iron ones had a couple teething problems. A machining index issue on the oil feel hole from the oil pump put the passage too deep into the casting and we had to repair those (not too hard and a nearly invisible fix). One of them has a failed water jacket core where a glob of iron broke free and caused the casting alongside the starter to develop a crack as it cooled. That one has been fixed - not pretty but functional - and will likely be my EMC entry this year.

Bill's aluminum one ran pretty well here with no real issues. (OK - an oil pressure line blew off during a pull and I fell on my ass when I ran into the dyno cell to see what happened...but that had nothing to do with the engine.)

I have a few others in process as well. Truthfully, the aluminum looks better than the iron ones as far as visuals go. The very first aluminum one I had here (a cut up prototype - not Bill's) showed a leak in the oil feed leading to the deck when I pressure tested it - like an original block sometimes had. I was not able to duplicate it, so it could have just been "me", but I decided to sleeve them in any case out of fear/confidence/caution.... They are now vacuum impregnating the aluminum ones which should help insure a leak free casting.

"I can do that....."

Engine Masters Challenge Entries
91 octane - single 4bbl - mufflers
2008 - 429 cid FE HR - 675HP
2007 - 429 cid FE MR - 659HP
2006 - 434 cid FE MR - 678HP
2005 - 505 cid FE MR - 752HP
Old 07-03-2015, 06:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Do you have the same problems with the Shelby or Pond blocks, or is this just because they are new and still working out a few bugs...
Old 07-03-2015, 08:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I have seen issues at times with every block we build. These are pretty new so we really looked hard at them. I would say that they are better than the original Genesis product was, with opportunities for further refinement. Of the original run of iron ones I believe I have completed and dyno'd/shipped three and Kaase has done one. There are at least a couple others in process and a few that are probably just parts waiting for their turn.

We have spotted and addressed minor machining and casting issues with factory blocks, Pond blocks, Shelby blocks. I have only had two of the BBM blocks so far - both for the same mild application customer (Chris Craft boat) so far those two appeared perfectly fine. I do not think we have found anything yet from any manufacturer that could not be fixed up in house and made into a sound usable part. Some of the stuff we address might not even matter to most folks.

Since I use and sell most everybody's parts I try to be fair. I suppose the right thing to say is that they were all perfect pieces of jewelry that should be put on display under lights in glass cases - but that ain't my style.

"I can do that....."

Engine Masters Challenge Entries
91 octane - single 4bbl - mufflers
2008 - 429 cid FE HR - 675HP
2007 - 429 cid FE MR - 659HP
2006 - 434 cid FE MR - 678HP
2005 - 505 cid FE MR - 752HP
Old 07-03-2015, 08:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

They seem to making some good numbers with the BBM block and heads, I think the BBM, pond and side oiler are close in design as per original look the shelby has its own design, and a price hike...
Old 07-04-2015, 08:14 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates, Genesis 427 S/O
Not Ranked     

I have one of the first Genesis blocks, a bare block from Keith Craft. I love this block, for me, this was a no brainer. With the original blocks, they upgrade the cross bolts and the webbing. This change resulted in the block loosing some of its cooling between the cylinder walls. A 20% upgrade in water pump production and the use of an Evans Cooling System, problem resolved.
Old 07-06-2015, 05:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by blykins View Post
i thought you bought a shelby short block from keith.
nope
Old 06-06-2016, 04:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Lone Star 427SC.
Not Ranked     

Any updates ?

I don't see a Side Oiler Garage website ?

Last edited by FUNFER2; 06-06-2016 at 04:10 PM..
Old 05-16-2018, 04:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I see this is an old thread but thought I would add some information for those considering aftermarket FE blocks. Sideoiler Garage is run by Tim McLoughlin who was also connected to Genesis. I contacted Sideoiler Garage back in early 2017 and was told that a batch of blocks were just being finished off. We paid Tim for a block on the understanding that a block would be dispatched that week. It’s well over a year now and we are still yet to receive a block or our money returned as promised. Apparently there were casting issues and all blocks were scrapped. Have also heard that several batches that followed were also faulty. Despite many many efforts to communicate with Tim, he pretty much just ignores me and fails to return our money despite promising for more than 9 months to return it. Wish we were warned before we transferred money!
Old 05-16-2018, 12:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 838
Not Ranked     

Rob,

Thanks for the update. I had hoped for better.

John
Old 05-20-2018, 04:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks John, I wish I could report more positive news. This has been dragging on since April 2017. It seems that we have been blatantly scammed and these blocks obviously aren’t cheap. I am still hopeful that Tim McLoughlin of Sideoiler Garage will do the right thing and return our funds as he has promised on several occasions going back nearly a year. I am sympathetic if there are casting problems but it’s hard to believe when I have emails promising shipping documentation the following day. Obviously blocks ready for shipping never existed. We paid for the block on the understanding it was ready to be shipped. It’s hard to see why this organisation deserves anyone’s support. I will be happy to report back if the situation improves.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: