Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree25Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-25-2015, 01:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default FE Fail

Building and maintaining a replica Cobra can be a rewarding experience. The efforts result in great rides down the highway, a gnarly exhaust rumble and just plain fun. And when the occasional voltage regulator or MSD box fails, you'll repair those small annoyances and then get back on the highway for more driving pleasure.

Sometimes other unexpected interruptions surface and impact the fun factor. Some interruptions are severe and have negative consequences. However, knowledge can be beneficial, and when replica owners share information, it provides for an information pool that can be an asset to future and current owners.

I'm nearing the closing stage of investigating why a custom-built engine has been fraught with multiple internal failures. Soon I'll add more information to this thread that will provide an accurate history of observations, findings, opinions, even multiple speculations about why this engine reached its demise after sustaining only a dyno session and 903 driven miles. I'll also support the thread with substantial photo documentation. I don't intend to use specific names or business references.

To be continued.......

Last edited by HTM101; 11-26-2015 at 06:45 AM..
Old 11-25-2015, 02:54 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Intriguing. We haven't had a really good "I got big time screwed by my FE builder" thread in a while now.
Old 11-25-2015, 04:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Oh no....
Old 11-25-2015, 05:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KIRKHAM 427 S/C, SHELBY 427 ALUM. STROKER
Not Ranked     

......................waiting for the other shoe..............
Old 11-25-2015, 06:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, 427SO
Not Ranked     

Hmmmmm

Old 11-25-2015, 07:22 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Intriguing. We haven't had a really good "I got big time screwed by my FE builder" thread in a while now.
7 posts....
Let's see if he returns with details about what went "wrong"
Old 11-25-2015, 07:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

It doesn't take Sherlock Holmes to figure out who this "new guy" is. If you search his other posts, you will see that it used to be 601HP.

Using a little deductive reasoning, you'll know that I am the engine builder that's being put under the microscope with this thread.

I'm not much into playing the "he said, she said" game. So this will be my one and only post.

I haven't seen this engine in person for about 13 months. However, I've been in correspondence with 601HP/HTM101 ever since he picked it up last year. He called me concerned with very bad oil consumption....along the lines of a quart per 200-300 miles.

The short and skinny of it is that I sent some parts back and forth trying to pinpoint exactly what was going on, but we couldn't really point a finger at any specific thing, so it was mutually decided to bring the engine back to me so I could tear it down and take a look. It was still under warranty.

The second to last email that was sent was a verification that I was bound and determined (I think my exact words) to figure out what the problem was and even mentioned that I would disassemble the engine in front of Mr. 601HP. He replied and stated that he was pleased to hear that and he would see me the following Friday. The day before, I received another email stating that he was taking the engine to a "third party engine builder".

My last email stated that my warranty boldly implies that if a problem develops with an engine that it comes to my place first. If someone else tears down the engine first, the warranty is void. Pretty simple. If you haven't noticed, engine builders have a tendency to be a little on the cocky side and we all like to point out how we do things much better than the other guy. It's like a feeding frenzy when the competition's hurt engine comes into the shop...."Oh, his bearing clearances were .0018" and I like to see them looser than that." "Oh, his 2nd ring gap was a lot looser than this 1st ring gap. We set them tighter." The problem list could get extensive.

Regardless......the engine never came back to me.

Now, my next statement is that everyone makes mistakes including myself. I am not perfect. I'm not admitting guilt in this particular instance, but my point is that since problems do occur and mistakes do happen, the saying, "Problems happen. It's how you take care of the problem that proves your integrity..." holds true. I offered to take the engine back, tear it down, and see what was going on. If the issue was a result of my own actions, then it would be taken care of. Pretty cut and dried.

I'm somewhat upset that 601HP waited until the day before Thanksgiving to bring this to light publicly. Building engines for a living is not without its ulcers, but it sorta ruins a good family weekend when dirty laundry is aired across Club Cobra. I also can't really figure out the motive behind posting. If everything was supposed to have been anonymous, then why show a bunch of photos with pointing fingers? That "information pool" would kinda be pointless without naming names.

So, in the spirit of transparency, I'll go ahead and nip the anonymity in the bud. No need to grab popcorn or wait to see who the other shoe is. I have nothing to hide. I also don't know what all has occurred to this engine in the past year, nor do I know who has had their hands inside. Not really sure what was going on with the engine and I suppose the "speculations" and "opinions" don't offer much concrete evidence either, but regardless, I would have been happy to get the engine back in-house and take care of any problems. No one wants to take a reputation hit, and in most cases, engine builders will usually go out of their way to offer good customer service.

Still living in that spirit of transparency, I have all emails saved and can post them if necessary.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone...
MOTORHEAD, Blue66, Nedsel and 12 others like this.
Old 11-25-2015, 07:50 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Well done Brent!
As a builder (of buildings) I can somewhat relate. I take pride in everything I build and stand behind it, sometimes far and beyond.

But I have also had the client that just tells me "I brought somebody else to fix it" without giving me a chance to make things right.

It always grinds me big time! The best moments have been when I run into the guy they called in and he tells me he never got paid or was still waiting for his money!
Old 11-25-2015, 08:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

I think it is sneaky, deceitful, disingenuous and flat out dishonest for someone to change their username to go behind someone's back and do business like this. Bad Form. Period. HTM101 hang your head in shame.

Brent, kudos!!!

Last edited by twobjshelbys; 11-25-2015 at 08:28 PM..
Old 11-25-2015, 08:51 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
OK. That was funny.
Old 11-25-2015, 08:56 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

BTW wasn't the last one of these types of threads posted by "Damage" from Austrailia? His engine grenaded after something like 50 miles although I believe that was a SOHC engine.
Old 11-25-2015, 08:57 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

I see no redeeming value in the OP's post. Other than a shot over the bow to try to start something here. No one here can help this matter and I for one see another ***** session that I care not to hear. Take your issues up with your builder(s). You made your bed, now sleep in it....
Nedsel, twobjshelbys and Al G like this.
Old 11-26-2015, 02:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Coombe, Shelby Block 496
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
I think it is sneaky, deceitful, disingenuous and flat out dishonest for someone to change their username to go behind someone's back and do business like this. Bad Form. Period. HTM101 hang your head in shame.

Brent, kudos!!!
As a friend of Davids I would like to say, I do not think changing his user name was the intent for dealing with this unfortunate problem as you can see here,

Retired Member Name
Old 11-26-2015, 03:54 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Also from knowing David on another site and he changed his user name there also, it had nothing to do with this unfortunate incident. Maybe it would be best if the people jumping to conclusions about a user name change would find out why it was done before posting their views.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 11-26-2015, 06:14 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTM101 View Post
I don't intend to use specific names or business references.
OK, I guess we can all just pretend like we don't know who the players are. I have to say, this is kind of a goofy way to air a complaint.
Old 11-26-2015, 06:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

I too agree. Take this offline until it is concluded.

If still in process, or if a cause has not yet been determined, keep it between the two of you unless an impass is reached and neither party is happy. If that point has been reached, then let's hear all the facts as well as the cause of the problem. I had an oil use problem with my rebuilt Roush engine a few years ago and even after a complete tear down and evaluation, no smoking gun was found.

Changing your user name is no big deal, but, in this case, APPEARS to be deceptive. Perhaps a qualifier would have been appropriate somewhere in the post.

So, if you want to solve this problem, take it directly to Brent. I have found him to be extremely approachable and he backs his engines completely.

Even Ford requires the customer to return an engine to them if problems arise. Tear it apart yourself, or having it torn down by another mechanic, voids their warranty. If you have chosen not to return the engine to the builder, then you have opened up a can of worms that could be impossible to contain.

Good luck, keep your cool, and let us know what the two of you decide.
joyridin' likes this.
Old 11-26-2015, 06:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

These types of stories amaze me. I run into these situations all the time myself. It is a warranty and by the sounds of it, Brent was willing to help in any way possible. What is the worse that would have happened? The guy gets the engine back and it does the same thing, or Brent rebuilds it again from scratch and the guy gets a great engine.

It is/was under warranty. USE THE WARRANTY especially since he is/was willing to stand behind his product! It really can't be more simpler than that!
Old 11-26-2015, 06:57 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyridin' View Post
These types of stories amaze me. I run into these situations all the time myself. It is a warranty and by the sounds of it, Brent was willing to help in any way possible. What is the worse that would have happened? The guy gets the engine back and it does the same thing, or Brent rebuilds it again from scratch and the guy gets a great engine.

It is/was under warranty. USE THE WARRANTY especially since he is/was willing to stand behind his product! It really can't be more simpler than that!
Nope, sorry. I want a pound of flesh. I want the engine builder to open a vein and bleed before me. I want the whole world to see the river of blood trailing out the shop. Yes, I will take nothing less.
Old 11-26-2015, 07:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I created the thread as a source of information for anyone interested. The first of many issues became apparent within the first 35 miles of driving. By the time I shut down the engine at 903 miles, the magnitude of issues had grown.

By the time I had dismantled the engine to a short block condition, I realized my original expectations hadn't been met for a number of reasons. I then evaluated quite a few factors, and decided to decline the warranty offer. When I moved away from the original assembler, we both understood the business relationship had ended. I have no additional expectation of him. Subsequently I contacted a 3rd party engine builder who has no horse in this race. His service is to finish the final tear-down and provide me with a rebuilt engine. To him, I'm another paying customer.

The history of this engine fail has provided me with some more engine education and I thought some people may find this reveal to be educational. An example......in April I returned from a 4 mile drive in mixed traffic. I was 35-45 miles into driving the car with the new engine. I may have reached 4k rpm during that short drive. Upon return to the garage I raised the hood and discovered oil had belched from 2 of 3 breathers and was running off the valve covers, down the cylinder heads and onto the primary headers. I did apply a Band-Aid to that condition, but didn't discover the root of that problem until the engine tear down occurred months later. So many indicators during the 903 miles and so much to evaluate. Goodness, the Blackstone Labs oil analysis is quite interesting. And the punch list grew.....

David
http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/pict...ictureid=14460
http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/pict...ictureid=14459

Last edited by HTM101; 11-26-2015 at 09:05 AM..
Old 11-26-2015, 07:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTM101 View Post
I created the thread as a source of information for anyone interested. The first of many issues became apparent within the first 35 miles of driving. By the time I shut down the engine at 903 miles, the magnitude of issues had grown.

By the time I had dismantled the engine to a short block condition, I realized my original expectations hadn't been met for a number of reasons. I then evaluated quite a few factors, and decided to decline the warranty offer. When I moved away from the original assembler, we both understood the business relationship had ended. I have no additional expectation of him. Subsequently I contacted a 3rd party engine builder who has no horse in this race. His service is to finish the final tear-down and provide me with a rebuilt engine. To him, I'm another paying customer.

The history of this engine fail has provided me with some more engine education and I thought some people may find this reveal to be educational. An example......in April I returned from a 4 mile drive in mixed traffic. I was 35-45 miles into driving the car with the new engine. I may have reached 4k rpm during that short drive. Upon return to the garage I raised the hood and discovered oil had belched from 2 of 3 breathers and was running off the valve covers, down the cylinder heads and onto the primary headers. I did apply a Band-Aid to that condition, but didn't discover the root of that problem until the engine tear down occurred months later. So many indicators during the 903 miles and so much to evaluate. Goodness, the Blackstone Labs oil analysis is quite interesting. And the punch list grew.....

David
And the tear down discovered what? Specifics please.