Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        
Old 02-21-2016, 07:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Starter needed for 427 FE

I'm looking for a good starter for my ERA. It has a 427 FE. I'm finishing up replacing the ring gear on the flywheel (184T) and don't want to risk running the old starter. I'm looking for alternatives. The PowerMaster that was on there sure didn't last long, but I don't know if that was the flywheel's fault, the starter, or the installer.

I thought I remember a thread recommending one from O'Reilys or something, but couldn't figure out if that was for an FE or a SBF. I believe I'm running a Lakewood Bellhousing with my Toploader.

Thanks!
Troy
Old 02-21-2016, 07:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classics, red white stripes
Not Ranked     

I've tried a lot of mini starters. I was only happy with one - from Rob McQuarie from Denver Colorado. He makes a new nose and uses, I believe, a V-10 Ford starter. Class act part, from a class act person.

I can't find his website. I think it was lost to a company called Blue Oval Performance in Washington. That isn't Rob.

This is Rob:

332-428 Ford FE Engine Forum: Visit to Blue Oval Performance shop

Original Ford starts are very good too, but they are big and sometimes difficult to fit with certain header designs.
Old 02-22-2016, 02:10 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I went to a starter shop here and had them build me a high torque one for mine and it has been on there almost 20 years with no problems. It is not a mini but is not as large as the stock ones and that gave me enough room for a heat shield.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 02-22-2016, 03:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Coombe, Shelby Block 496
Not Ranked     

IMO these guys make a great starter, I have never had a failure with one of there starters to date.

Welcome to RobbMc Performance Products
Old 02-22-2016, 04:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Troy - I think Large Arbor went through a starter fit issue on his car in a series of threads. You might search for them and look them over.
Old 02-22-2016, 04:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I also am running a RobbMc starter in my KC 482" FE. Best darn starter I've ever run. It was easy to clock and spins the engine well.

Robb has a top notch company and very respected in the FE community.
Old 02-22-2016, 08:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 714
Not Ranked     

I have been through a myriad of started issues. The culprit was with a Bellhousing aligned too far toward the passenger side of the car. I think I have that sorted out, but still can only use a Robb MC starter which had the best alignment with the new Bellhousing. If you get one or any after markets, double and triple check the clearances. I would also get the pinion support as over time most starters seem to get a little sloppy. If I had a choice, I would run the dynaforce, however, it would not align enough to get good engagement with the flywheel. Good luck with you selection and feel free to message or call me on my starter woes which I think (crossing my fingers) are all sorted out.

Phil
Old 02-22-2016, 09:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thank you everybody.
Old 02-22-2016, 12:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Survival Motorsports aluminum FE 482
Not Ranked     
Default CVR Starter

I am using this starter on my 482 FE. It spins it with no problem.
I have not had it long enough to vouch for its durability.

CVR Protorque Starters 5049 - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing

Good luck
Old 02-22-2016, 05:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

great input ...

Now ... The dogs car
Mercedes E63S station wagon. 603hp
Old 03-03-2016, 07:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Starter problems with lakewood

66gtk Troy if you look at some of the old threads on starter problems, you will see Lakewood shields are a pain in the butt. Alignment of the bell to the block is very important. Try to center it under .005" if you can. max measurement is .010". Here's the other problem, engagement of the gear of the starter to the flywheel. You want an air gap between teeth of .035" to .050" with engagement of the bendix on the starter. If you are running a block plate, you will only get about 50% of engagement. I have not tried a Rob starter. I have used mini's because of Shelby blocks. Some guys get the starter mounting face machined back .250" to get full engagement. I cut out where the block plate sits around the opening and get 75% gear engagement. No noise on engagement or release against the flywheel. I went through two Tilton mini starter bendix drives before changing design. Quicktime bells are centered on the blocks without a lot of adjustments. My Lakewood was .038" off center and low left. It took 3 hours to center bell and weld washers on bell to center the bell everytime to the block. This also prevents clutch problem if running a fork and linkage. For the starter I use studs in the bell housing and nuts to tight it to the bellhousing. I tried bolts without lock tite and the bolt loosened. Good luck with your setup
Old 03-03-2016, 08:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thank you all. I've purchased an OEM style starter to try. I'm also going to drill out a "sight hole" so I can see how it is engaging with the flywheel and can plug up the hole easily with a grommet. The last thing I want is to do another flywheel ring gear anytime soon!
Old 03-31-2016, 05:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #816, 427 Side Oiler
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66gtk View Post
Thank you all. I've purchased an OEM style starter to try. I'm also going to drill out a "sight hole" so I can see how it is engaging with the flywheel and can plug up the hole easily with a grommet. The last thing I want is to do another flywheel ring gear anytime soon!
I run stock starters on all my performance engines unless it's got some ridiculous compression ratio. I just buy a good NAPA starter. ZERO issues + a lifetime warranty! And I don't have to order one out of a catalog/online if it takes a crap.

I prefer the KISS principle

K eep
I t
S imple
S tupid
Old 03-31-2016, 07:28 AM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 427 S/C, Twin Paxton 511 FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrakiwi View Post
IMO these guys make a great starter, I have never had a failure with one of there starters to date.

Welcome to RobbMc Performance Products
Excellent fuel pumps and regulators, too.
Old 03-31-2016, 08:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 739
Not Ranked     
Default Starter for my ERA - tried them all

Tried them all- I like the RobbMC the best- PM if u want to discuss
Old 03-31-2016, 10:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The OEM starter bolted up with no issue and there was a TON of room to work with, so I don't know why a previous decision was made to go with the mini-starter. Works great, and cheap, too! Mine was in stock at my local O'Reilys.
Old 03-31-2016, 01:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 838
Not Ranked     

66gtk,

Does your car have an aluminum block? That is the usual reason a stock starter won't fit. They have more material areas that interfere with the starter.

John
Old 03-31-2016, 02:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubby View Post
66gtk,

Does your car have an aluminum block? That is the usual reason a stock starter won't fit. They have more material areas that interfere with the starter.

John
Thanks John. No, it's an old school iron block (:

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: