Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2016, 11:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 714
Not Ranked     
Default Head Gasket Part 2

Well what started as reasonable became more laborious. The drivers side #8 cylinder head bolt was not accessible no matter what I did so the engine is coming out for all new gaskets. I would post pics but everything is oily and dirty. The engine will be pulled Sunday and then the fun will start. All for a leaky head gasket. I did find that #2 and #5 exhaust ports had leaks through the exhaust gaskets. Lots of tedious little things to do to make it right, lots of cleaning, but I want it done right so that's the plan. Transmission is out. Engine will have to come out through the passenger side of the vehicle. Copper coated exhaust gaskets ordered. The cleaning process is also taking time. I am wondering if I should re-do the oil pan gasket and seals to dry up some of the leaks. The intake had cork gaskets on the fron and rear and they leaked. I suspect that was where most of the oil was dripping from.

Phil
Old 03-09-2016, 11:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

Phil,

If you are not already planning on doing so, I would suggest that when you replace the intake manifold that you use RTV on the front and back instead of the cork gaskets. Sounds like you have a lot of work ahead. Make sure that there is no warpage on the heads and check the block to see if it was properly decked to begin with.

Good luck and keep us posted with pictures.
Old 03-09-2016, 11:41 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Large Arbor View Post
Well what started as reasonable became more laborious. The drivers side #8 cylinder head bolt was not accessible no matter what I did so the engine is coming out for all new gaskets.
Phil, do you mean bolt #8, which is the lower, all the way to the front, head bolt (at least in the torque sequence on my Edelbrock heads), or do you mean cylinder #8, which is all the way to the back? What's in the way of the bolt?
Old 03-09-2016, 12:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427, 427/487 side-oiler
Not Ranked     

Phil,
I recently pulled the heads off my car (ERA 797) with the engine installed. It was no problem, likely because I have studs that can be removed with the heads on the block, so the heads can then be removed. Do you not have studs? If not, I recommend you get the ARP head studs. They will make this work much, much easier in the future.
Old 03-09-2016, 12:21 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by lippy View Post
Phil,
I recently pulled the heads off my car (ERA 797) with the engine installed. It was no problem, likely because I have studs that can be removed with the heads on the block, so the heads can then be removed. Do you not have studs? If not, I recommend you get the ARP head studs. They will make this work much, much easier in the future.
Note that his car is before the "big change" that took place with car #731. Now I'm just guessing, but it could be that pesky footbox is in the way and that got modified with the 731 and up cars.
Old 03-09-2016, 01:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Smile

Patrick is correct. I have ARP studs in the block with ARP nuts which I think is different. The #8 cylinder bottom right head bolt would hit the foot box as well as the head when lifting off of the studs. I will try to post some pics tonight. It won't be that big of a deal to pull since I am this far along. It's the old "one thing leads to another!"

I bought a tube of the Motorcraft TA -31 for the intake so is the consensus to use that instead of the cork, which seemed to leak like a pig!

Sage advice is always appreciated as my learning curve is steeper than most of you.

I cannot even get a extension on socket on the head bolt. Even if I could, I could not lift the head up high enough to clear the stud. No worries as it has given me the opportunity to polish all those hard to get to aluminum places!
Old 03-09-2016, 05:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

A couple of pics for what it's worth...
Attached Images

Old 03-09-2016, 05:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

One more...
Attached Images

Old 03-09-2016, 05:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 FE Shelby aluminum block, dual quads on Dove high rise, 5speed Tremec
Not Ranked     
Default Head bolt

I just did this. The motor mount on the frame is slotted. Loosen the one big nut on each side and then pick up one side of the engine with a jack underneath the car. The engine will tilt quite a bit, enough to get to that bolt. You will have to take the trans bolts out on the trans crossmember and remove the hydraulic clutch assembly that bolts to the bottom left of the block. Remove the tunnel and related parts too. May have to take off lines from above the oil filter housing if you have that set up. The point is that you tilt the engine enough to get to that stud nut, or bolt if you don't have studs. Hope this makes sense. It's actually easier than it sounds. It permitted me to remove the head nut on the stud, then to remove the head since I could not remove the studs as they were too tight. Works for the other side. Nothing damaged and it sure beat removing the engine and the associated risk. Needed my heads redone mostly. Good luck.
Old 03-09-2016, 05:57 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well damn, that is indeed a tight fit.
Old 03-09-2016, 06:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Car guy,

I will give that a try on Sunday! Thanks for the post. I was scared of pulling the motor. Had visions of dropping it on the Fiberglas.

Phil
Old 03-09-2016, 08:04 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

try Cometic head gaskets. I would order them from Keith Craft

FORD FORD BIG BLOCK FE Cometic Head Gaskets - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing

I have great success with Percy's laminated aluminum header gaskets. They work when copper, Fel Pro, Mr. Gasket and many others failed.
They are the only header gasket I will use. Sometimes my flanges are so warped that I have to use one and half Percy's gasket.

But they hold!
I don't know if Percy's make one that will fit you heads but you need to check them out.

Percy's 66053 Header Gaskets Aluminum Ford FE 332 428 Rectangle Port | eBay
Old 03-10-2016, 03:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

Head studs can actually put a big hurtin' on you on some cars with tight engine bays. It's a little more work since you have to back every stud out to have enough room to lift the head off. In older times, the head studs didn't have allen-heads on them and it required a lot more effort. Bolts are better in most situations, but on an aluminum block, you can't use bolts......

Also, you have to watch about randomly recommending head gaskets for engine blocks.

On a Pond block, there are head gaskets that match the sleeve diameter better than others. In some cases, you can still get some sleeve setting over time and you want the head gasket's fire ring to match the sleeve so that it will take up the slack.

On a Windsor block, there are head gaskets (such as the Felpro MLS) that don't reach all the way up to the china wall. That leaves a nice little crevice for oil to reach out of and it's not something that would jump out to most guys.

FWIW, I sell Cometic head gaskets too.
Old 03-10-2016, 09:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Brent and Dwight. I went with the Cometic gaskets as that was was Danbury Racing Engines recommended. I would have bought them from Brent had I known as I like the little guys and Jegs has become a Chevy shop by what they have in inventory. (:

The copper gaskets leaked on the exhaust side for cylinders two and five. I do not know whether the bolts loosened or it was just a bad fit. I have replacement copper ones but may revisit if there is consensus of something working better.

Phil
Old 03-10-2016, 09:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Was it you that called me a few weeks ago and emailed not too long ago?

Honestly, if it were me, I'd return those Cometics and put Felpro 1020's on it.

Last edited by blykins; 03-10-2016 at 09:32 AM..
Old 03-10-2016, 10:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yes that was me that called. Since Danbury recommended the Cometic brand and size, in this case will stick with them. I have a 4.25 bore and the 1020 Felpros are for a larger bore. The thickness is .040 on the Cometic and .041 on the Felpros so not much difference that I can see.

Any thought on the exhaust gaskets? Seems to me the copper coated ones are thin and do not leave much for compression between the header and the head. I am a little concerned they will leak.

Phil
Old 03-10-2016, 10:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Maybe call Danbury and ask?
Old 03-10-2016, 10:27 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

If ERA dropped the engine in the car, they would have been the ones to choose the exhaust gaskets, if any.
Old 03-10-2016, 10:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Brent,

Thanks and I did what you suggested and the response was Felpro did not make them in that size and his experience was good with Cometic. I also did not mean to be flippant, it just makes me nervous to move away from what the builder recommends, I certainly have seen your work and do respect your opinion.

Pat,

The owner dropped the engine in.

I was just curious what others are using and what has worked for them.

Phil
Old 03-10-2016, 10:59 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Large Arbor View Post
Pat,

The owner dropped the engine in.

I was just curious what others are using and what has worked for them.

Phil
This thread comes to mind:ERA / FE Header Gasket Tip