Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2016, 10:34 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
Also will depend on the condition of the holes and threads in your heads as to what they will take. Best to get as much thread engagement as you can.
Maybe if we just substitute JB Weld for antiseize we can get by with three threads or less.
Old 06-08-2016, 10:41 AM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Not Ranked     

Amazing...122 posts all about two bolts! They got in there somehow!!
If you can find a Snap-On or Mac tools truck in your neighborhood, maybe see if they can fix you up with the right tool on an individual basis.
My 2 c.
Old 06-08-2016, 10:42 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernica View Post
Amazing...122 posts all about two bolts! They got in there somehow!!
If you can find a Snap-On or Mac tools truck in your neighborhood, maybe see if they can fix you up with the right tool on an individual basis.
My 2 c.
No, I'd rather spend two grand having a custom tool made for me.
Old 06-08-2016, 11:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA, 428, 4 speed Toploader, Jag rear, Red with White stripes
Not Ranked     

Understood Dan, thanks
ERA#698 428, 4 speed Toploader, 3:31 Jag rear
Old 06-08-2016, 11:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA, 428, 4 speed Toploader, Jag rear, Red with White stripes
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
No, I'd rather spend two grand having a custom tool made for me.
Yeah, what he said!
Old 06-08-2016, 11:39 AM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Go to NASA, JPL or MIT then.
They will surely whip something up for you!
Old 06-09-2016, 08:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well my laziness kicked me in the a**. I took the carb back off and things became more do-able. Still difficult, but do-able. The front fastener that I thought was going to be the more difficult of the two proved to be the easier of the two. For that rear one I end up using a 1/4 inch drive 12 point swivel universal socket combo, 4" extension and a 1/4' to 3/8" step up adapter (made in Taiwan), it did not break! All ten fasteners Torqued to 25 ft lbs. I also needed to compute on a few of them for the added length of the wrench. . I ended up setting the wrench at 23.5 for those. I am happy because now I have a good starting point. I will search for any vacuum leaks once I get it running again. Also took off the distributor cap off to gain access to the front driver side bolt. Good thing I did because my terminals INSIDE the cap had lots of blue corrosion on them. This was a new MSD street-fire cap less than two years ago with only 1000 miles on it!. I cleaned them off with scotch-bite along with the edge of the rotor. I applied a little dielectric grease on all the terminals inside the cap and on the edge of the rotor. I don't know if this is the smartest move. Worst that can happen is that is doesn't run. I will then just clean it off. I also put lots of grease around the sealing lip and the points adjusting sliding door of the cap. I wonder why the terminals are corroding so much?

Thanks everybody for your help. Hopefully this longer than expected thread will help somebody in the future. Biggest advice for a Blue Thunder manifold...CARB OFF!
I had an Aluminum manifold (don't recall the make) on my last Cobra. Also a 428. I routinely re-torque everything one a year. I remember doing the manifold with the carb and Turkey pan in place with no issues at all. I guess that is what threw me.
Dave
Old 06-10-2016, 06:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Let us know what happens with the Dielectric grease on the distributor cap terminals. Not sure I would try that although I use in on all sorts of electrical connections and have never had an issue. Dielectric grease is supposed to inhibit electrical conductivity but most spade type connectors make hard physical contact and scrape through the grease to make connection.

Not sure about a distributor cap where there is an air gap - it may inhibit spark energy across the gap. Heck - I don't know, maybe it will increase potential and increase spark energy??? They make a conductive grease that is better suited for this sort of thing but I haven't run across it - would need to find it on-line.
Old 06-10-2016, 06:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Exactly my thoughts Dan. I use it liberally on anything that makes hard contact, plug wires /both ends, battery terminals, spade connectors etc, etc.
I am a ways from running at this time but I will let you know
Old 06-10-2016, 06:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by davids2toys View Post
Exactly my thoughts Dan. I use it liberally on anything that makes hard contact, plug wires /both ends, battery terminals, spade connectors etc, etc.
I am a ways from running at this time but I will let you know
Reminds me of when I was a kid and always washing the engine compartment of my Plymouth which of course got the inside of the distributor cap wet and resulted in having to dry it out with towels, etc, etc, to get it started. Someone told me to spray it with WD40 and reinstall it and it would start fine. I was highly suspicious of this until I tried it - to young and ignorant to know what WD40 stood for at the time.
Old 06-10-2016, 07:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 714
Not Ranked     

Dave,

MSD recommends drilling two holes in the cap to allow moisture to escape. Shocking I know, but I also replace my cap annually. I just replaced the last distributor with a new one as a result of all of the corrosion. Next time it will be a Petronix.

Phil
Old 06-10-2016, 07:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I am trying to rule out vac leaks. I want to re torque the intake.
Thanks...Dave
So, after 7 pages - going back to post 1 Dave, do you suspect a vacuum leak or are you just trying to take precautions against one developing? When you say "trying to rule out" that indicates you are trying to deal with an issue and a vacuum leak is one of the possible sources. Are you experiencing low vacuum or is there an engine performance problem?
Old 06-10-2016, 01:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Large Arbor View Post
Dave,

MSD recommends drilling two holes in the cap to allow moisture to escape. Shocking I know, but I also replace my cap annually. I just replaced the last distributor with a new one as a result of all of the corrosion. Next time it will be a Petronix.

Phil
I had a Pertronix in my old Vette, it worked flawlessly, no issues ever.Where do they recommend drilling these holes and what size? While i was typing this I decided to call MSD...I'm on hold at the moment, #11 in Que...LOL

So here I am trying to seal any air entry point with Dielectric grease
They also recommend drilling two holes in the 6AL box if mounted upside down(which mine is). They say condensation will form and collect on the electrical board. They want these holes in the base(feet side)
Old 06-10-2016, 01:23 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

All the more reasons I ripped everything out and went with Pertronix.
Also, I could swear that a few years ago when I was still on MSD they actually had a special cap available with holes already in it. I could be wrong.
Old 06-10-2016, 01:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Reminds me of when I was a kid and always washing the engine compartment of my Plymouth which of course got the inside of the distributor cap wet and resulted in having to dry it out with towels, etc, etc, to get it started. Someone told me to spray it with WD40 and reinstall it and it would start fine. I was highly suspicious of this until I tried it - to young and ignorant to know what WD40 stood for at the time.
OMG, you just bought back some really great memories! Also one really bad one.
Washing the engine in my 56 Chevy Hot Rod. Got water in the oil and wiped out one the crank bearings. That really sucked. Tender age of 24,. Then I sold the car (stupid move), bought a house and got married. Well, the house was an OK move I suppose!
Old 06-10-2016, 01:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
So, after 7 pages - going back to post 1 Dave, do you suspect a vacuum leak or are you just trying to take precautions against one developing? When you say "trying to rule out" that indicates you are trying to deal with an issue and a vacuum leak is one of the possible sources. Are you experiencing low vacuum or is there an engine performance problem?
Actually both. I just had the carb rebuilt. I installed it and took it for a ride. No more stumble when I get on it, but just cruising it will just die for a split second and the come back to life with a little surge. Hard to explain
I really don't think it is a vacuum leak, but it is an easy place to start. now that I saw all that corrosion in the cap, maybe that might have something to do with it.
Just talked to MSD. They recommended (2) 1/8" holes 180 deg apart in the base of the cap. this would also explain very heavy rust on the module. I purchase a new module last year but MSD said at the time it is an item that will work 100% or not work at all. So I held off doing it. Her said a light coating of dielectric grease should be fine if it is very light. He also said to put some on the reluctor for corrosion protection.No electrical there, just magnetic
Old 06-10-2016, 01:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernica View Post
All the more reasons I ripped everything out and went with Pertronix.
Also, I could swear that a few years ago when I was still on MSD they actually had a special cap available with holes already in it. I could be wrong.
Yes, that cap is there HEI style cap. It has a single breather on top. It is not enough, they still recommend one additional hole. so the air has a pathway in and out. Hmmm, why dont they just build it that way.
My cap has no vent because I wanted the old school socket style look.
Old 06-10-2016, 02:00 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
He said a light coating of dielectric grease should be fine if it is very light. He also said to put some on the reluctor for corrosion protection.No electrical there, just magnetic
FWIW, I have put dielectric grease on every electrical connection, every plug, every screw, you name it, and have done it for 40 years. I put it on spark plug connections, the distributor cap, the rotor, everything. It's great. It will never interfere with any connection and any threads that say "no, dielectric grease is an insulator and will block the electron transfer, blah, blah, blah..." is just a crock o' shi*. Put it everywhere, just don't glob it on.
Old 06-15-2016, 04:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Been busy with house projects so have not got back to the car yet.
I had a thought this morning that I never considered when re-torquing the Intake. Some of the bolts were looser than others so I did get movement. Are any of these bolts thru bolts that hit coolant and are installed with RTV to seal them?
Just a thought on creating a new problem by moving them and disturbing any cured sealant possibly creating a leak somewhere.
Dave
Old 06-15-2016, 04:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

None of the bolts hit water.