Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   FE TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/fe-talk/)
-   -   FE builder / Pro in NC? (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/fe-talk/136791-fe-builder-pro-nc.html)

willtwallace 06-22-2016 07:18 PM

FE builder / Pro in NC?

hello, im doing some initial planning for an upcoming build. I want a 428, but the budget will not allow for that. therefore, i am looking for a good reputable builder in NC to source and build a stroked 390.

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance

blykins 06-23-2016 07:47 AM

I don't know of any in that area. Blair Patrick would probably be the closest one to you. He's in southeastern TN. Oh, Jon Kaase is a little north of Atlanta.

fordracing65 06-23-2016 08:32 AM

Holman moody.

CHRIS POTTER 06-23-2016 09:15 AM

Brent Lykins is in Kentucky, but he's worth the drive. He won't disappoint you.

Large Arbor 06-23-2016 09:28 AM

I would second what others have said and add that my FE was built by Danbury Racing Engines in CT, about a 45 minutes from ERA. ERA recommended them.

Phil

RockBit 06-23-2016 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHRIS POTTER (Post 1395907)
Brent Lykins is in Kentucky, but he's worth the drive. He won't disappoint you.

X2 on Brent Lykins. Get a quote from him - he will make you happy.

Bernica 06-23-2016 10:17 AM

Any of the above are good choices. Brent is very active here and received a lot of praise.

fordracing65 06-23-2016 11:14 AM

Use Blykins. He is not far and he ships anywhere.

Bernica 06-23-2016 11:21 AM

And if you ask nicely, he may start a thread on your build here for us all to see. I would be interested in what he can do with a 390!;):cool:

cycleguy55 06-23-2016 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bernica (Post 1395927)
And if you ask nicely, he may start a thread on your build here for us all to see. I would be interested in what he can do with a 390!;):cool:

Here's one example from Brent's site (http://www.lykinsmotorsports.com/dyno.html): 445 ci FE, 525 hp @ 5500, 588 lb-ft @ 4200. 4.080 x 4.250, Scat 9000 series crankshaft, Scat I-beam rods, Racetec pistons, 10:1. Comp Cams custom hydraulic roller cam, 235/241 @ .050", 110 LSA, .610" lift. Survival Motorsports as cast cylinder heads, Performer RPM intake, Quick Fuel HR-750 carb. Stuska dyno.

390 is 4.050" bore, so above example is 0.030" over. This looks like a good, streetable engine to run on pump gas.

Bernica 06-23-2016 12:54 PM

Yup. That's quite a stump puller!:cool:

Dimis 06-23-2016 04:15 PM

Wilt, Congrats on joining the ERA club. I wish you all the very best with your build.

On a side note: If you are chasing a 428 build at a reasonable price, you may want to start frequenting FordFe.com
You have a fair bit of lead time before before you need the engine. You may find some good, well priced parts fishing over there.
Most of those guys are FE junkies and well meaning blokes, and will help steer you on your engine build.

Enjoy

PS: Fwiw, Blykins built me my engine (and supplied the drive train) from the other side of the world. For me distance (and money) wasn't as important as who I could trust.

willtwallace 06-23-2016 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimis (Post 1395959)
Wilt, Congrats on joining the ERA club. I wish you all the very best with your build.

On a side note: If you are chasing a 428 build at a reasonable price, you may want to start frequenting FordFe.com
You have a fair bit of lead time before before you need the engine. You may find some good, well priced parts fishing over there.
Most of those guys are FE junkies and well meaning blokes, and will help steer you on your engine build.

Enjoy

PS: Fwiw, Blykins built me my engine (and supplied the drive train) from the other side of the world. For me distance (and money) wasn't as important as who I could trust.

Sounds great, thanks to all!

427 would be the dream
428 super happy
390 stroked happy

Bernica 06-23-2016 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willtwallace (Post 1395966)
Sounds great, thanks to all!

427 would be the dream
428 super happy
390 stroked happy

That's pretty much it! But any of those engines can give you plenty, trust me.
I've had a 390 before that would burn down the house! :):):)

RodKnock 06-24-2016 04:08 PM

From time to time, you could probably find a pretty decent deal on the FE Forum. It's just one example, but here's a complete center-oiler 64 427 for $9,800:

FordFE.com Classifieds: 1964 427 R code engine

RodKnock 06-24-2016 04:10 PM

428 SCJ for $7,000:

FordFE.com Classifieds: 428 SCJ Engine

willtwallace 06-24-2016 04:22 PM

Thanks, the problem is i don't have the 5Ws

who?
what?
where?
when?
why?

A $7k "as is" gamble is a tough proposition. Im probably going crate, unless its someone i know or someone thats been thoroughly vetted.

DanEC 06-24-2016 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willtwallace (Post 1396109)
Thanks, the problem is i don't have the 5Ws

who?
what?
where?
when?
why?

A $7k "as is" gamble is a tough proposition. Im probably going crate, unless its someone i know or someone thats been thoroughly vetted.

I had the some of the same reservations - not having any real experience with FEs. It's not uncommon for FEs to be mis-represented. The 427 engines (especially side oilers) are reasonably easy to distinguish due to the core plugs and side oiler main in the casting. But 390s are often represented as 428 and short of a partial tear down, it's not always easy to tell what it is. Also FEs have a few idiosyncrasies in their design and assembly and you never know if the last guy that built it knew what he was doing. For that reason I decided to pay up to have someone experienced in FEs built my motor.

willtwallace 06-28-2016 09:47 AM

Seriously considering a Bear Block, as the foundation, still doing some due diligence in research.

Secondary, a Pond block.

Tertiary, find a Shelby block that falls off a delivery truck?

The only thing im undecided on is Fe or Al....leaning heavily toward Al

Bernica 06-28-2016 10:12 AM

You might check with Mike Lefevers to see if he has any Shelby blocks. He worked for Shelby Engine Co before he went on his own. Don't know anything about his current operation but have talked to him a couple of times about my CSX engine that he assembled. Check their site and history. Worth a try anyways...;)

Welcome to Mitech Racing Engines