Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2016, 11:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars, Ford 427 FE Side Oiler
Not Ranked     
Default Too much power too quickly with 8 barrels !

Hi folks,
I purchased an original Ford riser with the dual Holley carbs and got all this setup in the Cobra. I can handle it, however the car has become too scary for my wife to drive it, and I'd like to keep her alive.
I don't drive the car much because of health issues, however when I do, I love the kick in the butt when the eight barrels open! But it's true that it becomes very aggressive - the car feels like a race car, no longer a street car even with the fairly conservative cams. My other sport cars now feel like the most boring cars compared to the Cobra

Is there a trick to easily tranquilize the engine?
I was thinking of removing a rod to keep one of the two carbs closed, but this will obviously result into terrible carburation for the affected cylinders.
Something to trick spark advance easily, maybe?

Thanks,
Luke
Old 09-12-2016, 02:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Fordstroker 408w custom solid roller-Craft ported Brodix 17*heads-CFM ported Vic Jr. intake-1 3/4 primaries- 575hp-TKO-600RR Liberty upgrade- -Moser 8.8 trutrac-McLeod Street Extreme--QA-1-Wilwood brakes, Classic Chambered 3" Cobrapacks, Avon's
Not Ranked     

What is your wife doing to make it undriveable for her?, matting the throttle?. If that's the case limit the throttle rod movement. If it's the short wheel base light weight, 427 combination which is what the cobra is all about,-- undriveable can happen in 1st gear off idle. A corvette with traction control would be another option.
Old 09-12-2016, 03:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

I have the Ford dual quad intake with Holleys and I suspect it's not the secondary barrels that are coming in so strong - but the primary barrels on the rear carb. I have a zip tie tail on my rear secondaries shaft to let me know if I managed to open them on a drive. I too have the really strong boot in the back upon giving it some throttle, but based on the degree of throttle opening and the fact later I often find my secondaries never opened, realize it was the primaries on the rear carb kicking in at about 30% and more throttle.

If the secondaries are properly adjusted on a Holley you really won't experience much of a boot or jump as they open as they should open gradually as throttle increases and vacuum drops.

You might play around with the linkage adjustments a little and you may be able to fine tune the coordination between the front and rear primaries a little to bring them in a little sooner and less dramatically. I don't mind the boot in the back on mine, but it definitely gets your attention.
Old 09-12-2016, 06:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Some additional response - if you have stock, reproduction dual carb linkage, it is progressive and the rear carb primaries don't start to open up until about 30% throttle and then they are levered to open faster than the front carb so that they both reach full throttle at the same time. I don't know if it can be modified - or if a non-staged linkage system is available - to run off of both carb primaries from idle up. There is some adjustment in the linkage that you might play around with. After any adjustment open the throttle fully and make sure the primary blades on both carbs are able to open fully. I suspect if the stock linkage is used to bring the rear carb in too early, it may prevent the front carb primaries from opening completely.

If I'm wrong - and it is your secondaries that are slamming open to fast with a big boot in the back, then a couple Holley secondary spring kits should be able to tame that somewhat by going with a stiffer spring to slow down their opening. Holley vacuum secondary carbs are supposed to work without a noticeable power surge from primaries to secondaries to prevent bogging.
Old 09-12-2016, 06:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPO 963, 351W
Not Ranked     

I don't know if you have a cable-actuated throttle, or a mechanical linkage like mine. If it's a mechanical linkage, you can adjust the geometry to give you a wider range of "pedal", to help you control it better. I played with my bellcranks (sounds kinky) until I was happy with the pedal "feel". Another option for you...
Old 09-12-2016, 07:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

If all else fails, You could always replace the carbs and manifold with a single four barrel carb and manifold.
Much easier to limit one carb than two.
Old 09-12-2016, 07:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

A smaller tamer engine. Much cheaper than trying to detune what you have.

I really think you're trying to talk yourself out of this car. Your question is more like "gee, I put a jet engine in a F14 and while I can taxi it if my wife hits full throttle it wants to fly".
jetblue69 likes this.
Old 09-12-2016, 09:09 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF GT40P-2265/393W, KMP318 (PROJECT!!!!!)/CSX478
Not Ranked     

I would just adjust the linkage so she couldn't get full throttle.
Gaz64 likes this.

"Dishwasher? I thought that was for cleaning parts!?"
Old 09-12-2016, 09:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Neutral     

Look guys, with a Cobra and its light weight and short wheel base the only safe engine for someone without performance driving experience is a one lunger Honda lawn mower engine. Detuning a 427 is not going to keep someone from spinning the rear wheels around on cold tires/pavement if they aren't experienced.

If the OP wants to keep Cobra he can't drive because of his back - which I can't believe he could ride in either - and turn it into one that his wife can drive (safely), instead of detuning the 427 he could (1) pull it out and drop a 302 in its place and keep the 427 for resale, (2) sell it and by a small block car, or (3) sell it and buy something else like he says he might do in his other topic.
Old 09-12-2016, 09:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR: 302 w/aluminum heads, Edlebrock injection. Street car trim, no scoop, side pipes or rollbar.
Send a message via AIM to Maricopa
Not Ranked     

Great idea, send me the motor and tranny and I'll send you my 302 and T-5.
Old 09-12-2016, 10:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Why not just go back to the induction system that you had prior to the 2x4's? Like they say, "marriage is all about compromise".
Old 09-12-2016, 10:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAN-AM cobra, 460 SVO
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
Some additional response - if you have stock, reproduction dual carb linkage, it is progressive and the rear carb primaries don't start to open up until about 30% throttle and then they are levered to open faster than the front carb so that they both reach full throttle at the same time. I don't know if it can be modified - or if a non-staged linkage system is available - to run off of both carb primaries from idle up. There is some adjustment in the linkage that you might play around with. After any adjustment open the throttle fully and make sure the primary blades on both carbs are able to open fully. I suspect if the stock linkage is used to bring the rear carb in too early, it may prevent the front carb primaries from opening completely.

If I'm wrong - and it is your secondaries that are slamming open to fast with a big boot in the back, then a couple Holley secondary spring kits should be able to tame that somewhat by going with a stiffer spring to slow down their opening. Holley vacuum secondary carbs are supposed to work without a noticeable power surge from primaries to secondaries to prevent bogging.
I have dual carbs, it had the progressive linkage and I didnt like it, had it switched so both operate from idle, I find it much smoother, it got rid of the "jump" when the second carb in the progressive setup would kick in
Old 09-12-2016, 11:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars, Ford 427 FE Side Oiler
Not Ranked     

I don't want to detune the car when I drive it. On the opposite. I love the blast of torque and peak power. Otherwise I would simply put the Holley 750 cfm in there and the car would be relatively safe to drive.

I'm concerned for my wife and possibly other drivers.

Anyway DanEC gave me what seems to be the best idea: prevent secondaries from opening. That's easy to do and can be reverted in less than a minute for when I drive the car
Old 09-12-2016, 12:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: era 427cobra stroked 427fe
Not Ranked     

Is this thread really happening?
FatBoy likes this.
Old 09-12-2016, 01:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B 427 Stroked Windsor TKO 600 w/3.50 posi 9"
Not Ranked     

Duct tape the air cleaner when she's driving it, that should do it!
Old 09-12-2016, 02:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Wow. You guys are very innovative.

I'd have gone for a cheap & simple fix.
Put a block behind the accelerator when she drives to limit the pedal movement.
Remove the block when you want to play.

Simple, and no screwing around with the carb, linkages, jets tuning or other...

Enjoy.
Old 09-12-2016, 03:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Disconnect the rear carb and run it on front carb only. I think this is what
Tony Hogg of Road and Track did when his wife was driving the Cobra.
Old 09-12-2016, 03:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #684, 482FE, Mike Mccluskey build
Send a message via Skype™ to fordracing65
Not Ranked     

If I had a wife she would never drive my cobra. Even if it was Danica. It's kind of like saying your bazooka has to much kick for your wife to shoot. Get her a 22 cal or a Miata.
Old 09-12-2016, 04:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I can't get my wife to even go for a ride in it - no worries about her wanting to drive it. And mine is a relatively tame street roadster.

You could probably disconnect the rear carb from the linkage fairly easily and quickly when your wife or friends drive it. It shouldn't be a problem running off of the front carb primaries since it's in the approximate center of the engine. But with the secondaries all the way at the front of the intake, fuel mixture distribution when the throttle is matted will probably be pretty poor and may cause some lean cylinders.
Old 09-12-2016, 05:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Simply "disconnecting" one carb would lead to very poor performance. The carb will still suck air without any gas in the mix....leaning out the resulting mixture pretty badly. A dangerous state of tune. You'd need to adjust the linkage to ensure that the butterflies close 100% tightly. Not sure that's possible.