Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 12-26-2017, 07:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Engine size question

Please help settle a heated argument. We have a stock bore 427FE side oiler with a stock 428 crank (stroker). My question is what size is this engine? I'm getting a
multitude of answers.
Thanks...
Old 12-26-2017, 07:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Ex owner of a polished Kirkham 427 S/C. Now Cobra-less and driving a mid-engine German hot rod.
Not Ranked     

4.2328" bore and 3.984 stroke = 448.5 cubic inches
Old 12-26-2017, 10:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Yep - 448 CID, but many go ahead and bore .030 and end up with 454 CID.
Old 12-26-2017, 10:42 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

From the ERA web site:

The 428 crankshaft can be installed in a 427 block (with Chevy pistons) to yield a torquer with 454 cid. You lose the forged crank of the 427, but it does make a sweet and strong street engine. Cast crankshaft failures on the street are extremely rare. The 427 crankshaft is internally in balance, while the 428 crank relies on the counterweighted flywheel to complete the balance.

From this page: Engine builders
Old 12-26-2017, 03:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Engine size

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
From the ERA web site:

The 428 crankshaft can be installed in a 427 block (with Chevy pistons) to yield a torquer with 454 cid. You lose the forged crank of the 427, but it does make a sweet and strong street engine. Cast crankshaft failures on the street are extremely rare. The 427 crankshaft is internally in balance, while the 428 crank relies on the counterweighted flywheel to complete the balance.

ok now I see the problem... We got Chevy Pistons in this engine. So everybody who was arguing about this weren't all on the same page. Everybody is happy again. Thanks everyone....
Old 12-27-2017, 04:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
From the ERA web site:

Stock bore Chebby pistons are 4.25" (or larger) in diameter, hence the 454 cid. They will require a 0.0172" overbore from stock, assuming 4.25".
Old 12-27-2017, 01:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

Devils advocate:

Why use an external balance 428 crank - I believe it requires the hatchet on the nose, when you can buy a 482 stroker kit with internal balance? You get cast steel crank instead of cast iron.
Old 12-27-2017, 02:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000, 427
Not Ranked     

From what I remember, I want to say all 428's were externally balanced, but only the 428SCJ needed the "hachet" for the heavier "LeMans" connecting rods.

427's came with cast and steel cranks, but I think the cast cranks were lighter, and revved easier with some performance advantage.

I'm not sure if the piston reliefs on the top of the pistons are the same for a FE and a BBC, so even if the bore is the same, they may not be optimal, unless you're talking about a flat top.
"After jumping into an early lead, Miles pitted for no reason. He let the entire field go by before re-entering the race. The crowd was jumping up and down as he stunned the Chevrolet drivers by easily passing the entire field to finish second behind MacDonald's other team Cobra. The Corvette people were completely demoralized."
Old 12-27-2017, 05:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Ex owner of a polished Kirkham 427 S/C. Now Cobra-less and driving a mid-engine German hot rod.
Not Ranked     

All 428's are externally balanced. I believe all 427 cranks were steel but don't know if they were forged or cast. If both were offered I don't think the minor weight and associated polar moment differences between the cast and forged versions would make much difference in overall engine inertia (nothing that could not be overcome with a flywheel change). The forged piece would have a higher yield and tensile strength and better fatigue properties but I cannot imagine breaking a cast steel crank with a street engine.
Old 12-29-2017, 01:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by olddog View Post
Devils advocate:

Why use an external balance 428 crank - I believe it requires the hatchet on the nose, when you can buy a 482 stroker kit with internal balance? You get cast steel crank instead of cast iron.
What are you referring to by "hatchet"
Old 12-29-2017, 01:39 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by classical glass View Post
What are you referring to by "hatchet"
The 428 had an additional counterweight that sits behind the crank damper and from the front has a shape the bows out at the end like a hatchet blade.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ford...w=1051&bih=501

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/

Last edited by Mark IV; 12-29-2017 at 01:40 PM.. Reason: added link
Old 12-29-2017, 02:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

Thanks Mark IV.

I think Anthony is correct that the 428SCJ was the only one with the hatchet.

I am pretty sure at least some 427 engines came with a cast iron crank. The 427 and 390 share the same stroke. I know some of the large truck 391FT engines had steel cranks with the large diameter snout. Back in the day folks turned these cranks down to make a good steel crank for the 427.

Today you can buy a good rotating assembly at a reasonable price and make 482 CID. None of this old school stuff makes sense any more, unless you just happen to own it. If you are purchasing, it's likely not worth the money and risk.

Anyway that is one opinion, not necessarily factual certainty. Take internet advice at your own risk.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: