Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By 55312
  • 1 Post By FUNFER2
  • 2 Post By patrickt

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2017, 05:10 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M 427 Top Oiler stroked to 482 by KC, Stage 2 heads, a Quikfuel and Voila, 640 hp
Not Ranked     
Default 427 Stroker - what cam maker to replace Comp

Had a Comp roller lifter disintegrate on #4 exhaust and most certainly trashed the cam. A gentleman in KY is helping me put a list of parts together to calm this engine down and make it more streetable. It's a 1963 Center Oiler so it's a solid lifter motor. My question is: What cam maker have you had good luck with? Lunati? Crower? Crane? Iskey? I'm open to all suggestions except Comp!

Thanks

Tim
cdnus likes this.

Douglas Adams - Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy
Old 07-08-2017, 05:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

Tim, all of my camshafts are from Comp. I don't have any issues with them. I hand pick the lobes per engine, they grind them, and we're on our way. With maybe Bullet as being an exception, Comp has the most lobes to choose from, which makes it much easier to nail down an exact camshaft profile.

Your issue was with running a solid roller lifter on a block that's not drilled for lifter oil galleys. It wasn't Comp Cams' fault.
Old 07-08-2017, 06:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 824 with 470 FE BBM street 427
Not Ranked     

Our local club builder's experience is similar to Brent's. He custom specs his cams from Comp, as he's gotten lots of out-of-spec part-numbered cams from many manufacturers. He claims when he special orders they grind on a CNC rather than using old, worn-out cam grinding machines. He's see stock cams be out by 20%. Even spec'ing custom grinds he checks all cams as-received to make sure the profile meets his spec (he still has had a few out of spec).

He uses something like this:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...99608637978506
Old 07-08-2017, 07:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

It is my understanding that solid roller lifters need a lot of oil, and even blocks drilled for hydraulics cannot take long idle times. Solid lifter FE engines rely on oil slinging off of the crank. I agree your problem was not the manufacturer's product quality, therefore you're not going to find another brand that is going to solve the problem.

If you are going to run solid rollers in that block, you have to be prepared to replace them frequently.

Where is Patrick? Now is the time to talk about the virtues of a solid flat tappet cam. You will give up some power, but gain longevity if you use the right oil additives.
Old 07-08-2017, 08:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kellison Stallion 468 FE
Not Ranked     

when i lost a roller in my 468 FE and was forced to disassemble totally, i
went with a crower solid flat tappet, #16332, grind 300FDP, and used their lifters with the oiling hole on the face for some extra peace of mind. all builders will have their preference though, its just what i chose to use.
Old 07-08-2017, 09:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

When I do a solid flat tappet FE build, I will use the Crower SBF EDM lifters. In the OP's case though, his block is not drilled for lifter passages, so it wouldn't do him any good.
Old 07-08-2017, 03:15 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by olddog View Post
Where is Patrick? Now is the time to talk about the virtues of a solid flat tappet cam. You will give up some power, but gain longevity if you use the right oil additives.
Patrick is right here. If he went with my 1963 solid flat tappet grind, he would be happy with the performance, the sound would blow him away, and it wouldn't tear itself apart in three years either. But, it wouldn't hurt to ask Brent what he would choose as specs for a solid flat tappet cam, high performance but predominantly street driven, and that would last, say, a good 50K miles. That way the OP's heirs can do the rebuild. As a comparison, my 1963 grind is 245/245/.525 lift at .050 and a LSA of 114 -- with Erson roller rockers. And I have it installed five degrees advanced. Now, 54 years ago, it was the cat's meow.... Brent might say "I can live with that... but let's tighten up the LSA and give it a hair more lift."
Old 07-08-2017, 03:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Lone Star 427SC.
Not Ranked     

Lol,...that's funny bud.
Jut a little more Patrick, a little more.
Old 07-08-2017, 03:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACHiPo View Post
Our local club builder's experience is similar to Brent's. He custom specs his cams from Comp, as he's gotten lots of out-of-spec part-numbered cams from many manufacturers. He claims when he special orders they grind on a CNC rather than using old, worn-out cam grinding machines. He's see stock cams be out by 20%. Even spec'ing custom grinds he checks all cams as-received to make sure the profile meets his spec (he still has had a few out of spec).

He uses something like this:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...99608637978506

Eye candy for sure. Love the 5 axes.
Who's shop is that ?
Loftonm likes this.
Old 07-09-2017, 05:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Brent, is a bullet cam worth the cost ?
Pro's, Con's ?
Old 07-09-2017, 05:51 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNFER2 View Post
Brent, is a bullet cam worth the cost ?
Pro's, Con's ?
Brent has probably blocked you because you nag him like a fishwife. Here, I'll pretend I'm Brent and answer the question for him:

"Bullet makes a great cam, but the key is the customization. All my cams are ground to my exact specs and I take great care in choosing my lobe profiles, ramp rates, and separation angles based on the individual customer's build. That is what you are paying for, and it is well worth it."
dcdoug and spdbrake like this.
Old 07-10-2017, 03:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kellison Stallion 468 FE
Not Ranked     

i knew it......Patrick is schizophrenic