Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Karl Bebout

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-28-2018, 06:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Ex owner of a polished Kirkham 427 S/C. Now Cobra-less and driving a mid-engine German hot rod.
Not Ranked     
Default Plug wires

Well the metal conductor (part that goes over the tip of the plug) pulled out of my #6 wire when I pulled the wires to do my recent valve cover gasket repair. I bought a set of the MSD “superconductor” 8.5 mm wires because they had an advertised 40-50 ohms per foot resistance. Installed them yesterday on my 482 FE and I have to say they really work well. Car ran great before but even better now (I had a good set of 8 mm wires before). The set was not cheap but they seem to be well made and work well.
Old 05-29-2018, 07:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #509, 347 S
Not Ranked     

Good to know. Currently running Accel 8.8 300+ Ferro-Spiral Race Wire... and they are 150 ohms per foot... and slightly more expensive to boot...
Old 05-29-2018, 09:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #2119 289FIA
Not Ranked     

I know some people recommend against it, but I'm a firm believer in dielectric grease on the contact and porcelain of the spark plugs. Since I've been using it, I've not split one boot or pulled the wire apart. I also use it on the distributor cap end of the wires. Just makes any disassembly much easier and safer. I've carefully looked at the plug wires, with the engine running, and in darkness and have not seen any arching. I've also never gotten bitten when adjusting the distributor for timing. I'm sold. My 2˘ worth.
spdbrake and BDR_Boy like this.
Old 05-29-2018, 12:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #509, 347 S
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Bebout View Post
I know some people recommend against it, but I'm a firm believer in dielectric grease on the contact and porcelain of the spark plugs. Since I've been using it, I've not split one boot or pulled the wire apart. I also use it on the distributor cap end of the wires. Just makes any disassembly much easier and safer. I've carefully looked at the plug wires, with the engine running, and in darkness and have not seen any arching. I've also never gotten bitten when adjusting the distributor for timing. I'm sold. My 2˘ worth.
Ditto. Same here. Just curious... what reasons are given for not wanting to use it?
Old 05-29-2018, 03:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B Ford FE from Southern Automotive
Not Ranked     

I completely agree with your observation of the MSD plug wire performance. I had been running Accel Pro Stock wires on my FE and didn't think that they required replacement. However, I wanted reroute some of the plug wires and elected to use the MSD universal kit that I could cut to the length I required. After making the change you could actually feel the difference in performance which surprised me. I was curious so I cut two identical pieces of the MSD and Excell Pro Stock and tested them for resistance. Don't recall the exact numbers but the MSD wire resistance was a small fraction of the Accel. Highly recommended if you are upgrading your plug wires.
Old 05-29-2018, 03:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSnake View Post
I completely agree with your observation of the MSD plug wire performance. I had been running Accel Pro Stock wires on my FE and didn't think that they required replacement. However, I wanted reroute some of the plug wires and elected to use the MSD universal kit that I could cut to the length I required. After making the change you could actually feel the difference in performance which surprised me. I was curious so I cut two identical pieces of the MSD and Excell Pro Stock and tested them for resistance. Don't recall the exact numbers but the MSD wire resistance was a small fraction of the Accel. Highly recommended if you are upgrading your plug wires.
Must have had some faulty wires.

I've have run the Accel 150 ohm wires, and the MSD wires.

I doubt whether anybody could tell the difference between 50 and 150 ohms, considering normal stock wires are 3k - 8k ohms per foot.

Gary

Last edited by Gaz64; 05-30-2018 at 12:52 AM..
Old 05-29-2018, 05:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA, 428, 4 speed Toploader, Jag rear, Red with White stripes
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDR_Boy View Post
Ditto. Same here. Just curious... what reasons are given for not wanting to use it?
Same here, I use it heavily inside both ends of the wires and on the coil terminals
ERA#698 428, 4 speed Toploader, 3:31 Jag rear
Old 05-29-2018, 05:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA, 428, 4 speed Toploader, Jag rear, Red with White stripes
Not Ranked     

I also used the MSD Ultra 40 cut your own. I took a lot of time because I wanted it to look really neat. I did have issues with arching in a pitch black garage. I kept adding more and dielectric grease and it helped a lot. The fixed turned out to be tightening up the plugs believe it or not. The forum help out a lot with this. The plugs were tight, just not tight enough I guess. Path of least resistance was causing the arching
Attached Images

ERA#698 428, 4 speed Toploader, 3:31 Jag rear
Old 05-30-2018, 05:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The 5th paragraph (Disadvantages) of the link is informative, as many people consider dielectric grease to be conductive.

Dielectric Grease
Old 05-30-2018, 05:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 824 with 470 FE BBM street 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTM101 View Post
The 5th paragraph (Disadvantages) of the link is informative, as many people consider dielectric grease to be conductive.

Dielectric Grease
Umm, close but not quite. While dielectric grease itself is non-conducting, using it on electrical contacts can improve their reliability by blocking corrosion and oxidation. The metal contacts still complete the circuit, the grease surrounds the contact points to reduce oxidation. It can also prevent arcing between contaminated insulators like plug boots and ceramics.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicone_grease

Last edited by ACHiPo; 05-30-2018 at 05:46 AM..
Old 05-30-2018, 07:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: '65 Shelby Cobra, '66 Shelby GT350's
Not Ranked     

Battery terminals/posts are another excellent spot for dielectric grease for the same reasons stated above.

6S1806, 1966 Shelby GT350 B/P Race car.
6S246, Shelby GT350 "carryover"
6S1745 Shelby GT350
Old 06-16-2018, 07:29 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham/Southern 427 SO finally on the road
Not Ranked     

Just did this deed and will report that the Taylor Made (get it: tailor made) cables are much too long and look sloppy, tho' presumably they work OK. Bought the MSD kit (31383) and it fits some better, but if you want to do it as neat as possible, the poster who said make your own from the MSD universal kit, is corrrect. It is the way to go. I love the little device that MSD sent to neatly attach the plug wire number identifiers. Very cool and easy to use. steve
Old 06-16-2018, 07:56 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham/Southern 427 SO finally on the road
Not Ranked     

OH, yeah, and one more thing. At least on my KMP #174, the plug boot on #6 and 7 is so large as to interfere with the throttle mechanism. Not so on my old Accel wires. I very carefully cut those two boots down so that the throttle mechanism doesn't strike those two boots. (this is on the MSD kit 31383) steve
Old 06-16-2018, 09:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I have had lots of frustration trying to determine proper part numbers for a proper fit when it comes to these aftermarket ignition cables for my Ford engines, including the FE and 351W. Nothing fits properly (not even close), so I have given up and now only use the "trim your own" style.

I did have a good experience with the FE wires in regards to fitment on the Carroll Shelby signature cables that I sourced from DenBeste. The coil wire may or may not work depending on your application.
Old 06-16-2018, 10:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hawk 289 USRRC, 302 Ford
Not Ranked     

I also use the MSD Superconductor kit and the quality is worth the price. I measured each cable after crimping and found the resistance very consistant per feet.
I use WD40 to prevent corrosion, no issues so far.
Old 06-16-2018, 05:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACHiPo View Post
Umm, close but not quite. While dielectric grease itself is non-conducting, using it on electrical contacts can improve their reliability by blocking corrosion and oxidation. The metal contacts still complete the circuit, the grease surrounds the contact points to reduce oxidation. It can also prevent arcing between contaminated insulators like plug boots and ceramics.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicone_grease
Dielectric grease is non-conductive but I used it for years without any conductive issues. But I then discovered No Ox (stands for no oxidation) which is an electrical conductor grease with low dielectric properties. It's specifically made for electrical connections. So I've switched over to it for electrical connections now.

I have a WiFi security camera system around my house with 12V power from attic receptacles and I've had a heck of a time keeping the cameras on and sending data to the recorder. One would fall off line after just an hour or so and another every day or two. I finally went around and put No Ox on all the antenna connections and all the 12 volt power cord extension connections and the plug blades at the receptacles. It's been a month now since I last lost a camera connection. Definitely good stuff.
Old 06-16-2018, 09:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #2119 289FIA
Not Ranked     

I have been happy with Taylor wires because I think their spring loaded spark plug connector is better. I've never measured their resistance but with the superior connectors, a nice thin coating of dielectric grease and careful routing, I've not had any arcing issues. The spark plugs, plug the hole and make a spark. Life is good.