Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-14-2019, 06:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 744/428/TKO 600
Not Ranked     
Default FE shop in CT

Anyone have a suggestion for a good shop that can do in car repairs, possibly an intake gasket? I have been trying to get into Cobra Automotive for months. Jannetty did look at it and tried a couple of things but didn’t fix the problem. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks...

Last edited by sea2jet; 01-14-2019 at 06:38 AM..
Old 01-14-2019, 07:25 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea2jet View Post
Anyone have a suggestion for a good shop that can do in car repairs, possibly an intake gasket? I have been trying to get into Cobra Automotive for months. Jannetty did look at it and tried a couple of things but didn’t fix the problem. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks...
You're a little over an hour away from Danbury Competition Engines. Joe has built more FE engines than a dog has fleas, including mine. Although Ellie has no fleas.
Old 01-14-2019, 07:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Patrick, I’m not sure if he does in car repairs but it’s worth a call. Any other suggestions?
Old 01-14-2019, 07:33 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Thanks Patrick, I’m not sure if he does in car repairs but it’s worth a call. Any other suggestions?
If it's just an intake gasket, no one's going to pull the engine out for that. In fact, even head off work in a late model ERA lends itself to leaving the engine in the car. So, if it's a oil suck problem, or a coolant or oil getting by the gasket problem, that should be a relatively quick fix for a shop like his.
Old 01-14-2019, 07:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Great suggestion Patrick. I called DCE and Jeff in the back of the shop can work on the car. I’m bringing it to them on Wednesday. Thanks, Mike
Old 01-14-2019, 09:29 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

One stop

Cobra Automotive
Old 01-14-2019, 10:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985 CCX View Post
One stop

Cobra Automotive
I can’t even get in the door at Cobra Automotive. I have been trying since last September. Every time I call I get put off. Now it’s we can possibly work on it in the Spring. Business must be good.
Old 01-14-2019, 02:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA, stroked 428FE (462ci)
Not Ranked     

Try Dan Delena at Dalena Auto Parts in New Britain
Old 01-14-2019, 02:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyglass View Post
Try Dan Delena at Dalena Auto Parts in New Britain
Dan built my engine. I also had one other ERA#495 with one of his engines in it.
He sure builds a nice motor, that’s for sure. Unfortunately he doesn’t have the space to work on the motor while it’s in a car. He’s the first person I called. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA#375, FE 428, 1966 block, built by Jim Coleman Racing Engines, Stratford, CT
Not Ranked     

Try Automotive Restorations in Stratford. They have their own engine shop, upholstery, metal, alloy, paint and general repair. Go to the front desk and ask for Jim Coleman who runs the engine shop. Highly recommended.

Automotive Restorations, Inc.
Old 01-28-2019, 04:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Great suggestion Patrick. I called DCE and Jeff in the back of the shop can work on the car. I’m bringing it to them on Wednesday. Thanks, Mike
How did you make out with Jeff at Danbury Competition engines with the motor work on your FE?
Old 01-29-2019, 05:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jeff was wonderful to work with and having Joe at Danbury Competition Engines in the same building worked out great in my case. It was found that someone used synthetic oil for the break in, which in turn glazed the cylinders. Know I know why the car had such low mileage on it. Jeff honed and re-ringed the motor. The builder used a gapless design on the 2nd ring which caused flutter. That was changed back to standard style rings. While it was apart, the heads went to the machine shop to be freshened up. New rod bearings installed and back together it went. We picked up 100 HP at the wheels on Jeff's chassis dyno. The dual 4 barrel setup was never adjusted right and was only getting half throttle. Jeff really knows his stuff and I highly recommend him. All this work was accomplished in one week. Anywhere else, I would still be waiting for the parts to come back from a backlogged machine shop. Thanks for referring me Patrick. I'm very pleased with the outcome.
Attached Images

cobra, Blue66, sgianino and 4 others like this.
Old 01-29-2019, 06:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #720
Not Ranked     

Great to hear, I'm in CT too so I was following this post. I don't need any work currently but I'm sure I will have something I can't/don't want to do myself at some point.

P.S. Your car is beautiful, I love the color.
Old 01-29-2019, 06:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks....It is Ford Merlot Red. Really a unique color that changes depending on the light.
Old 01-29-2019, 08:58 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yep, that is a pretty nice looking car.
Old 08-12-2022, 07:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hi All,
I'm new to the forum. I am the new manager of Danbury Competition Engine. We now are one company with Danbury Chassis dyno services. Jeff now works for DCE and leads the dyno tuning. Our goal in joining together was to further improve the already good situation between the two shops. By becoming one business, we now formally can handle all work under one roof and serve customers even more efficiently. We are dedicated to the highest quality possible as always and we are growing.

I hope we can be of help to those in our area in need of services for their Cobras.

Jim
203 748 7356
Old 08-13-2022, 04:53 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dce View Post
Hi All,
I'm new to the forum. I am the new manager of Danbury Competition Engine. We now are one company with Danbury Chassis dyno services. Jeff now works for DCE and leads the dyno tuning. Our goal in joining together was to further improve the already good situation between the two shops. By becoming one business, we now formally can handle all work under one roof and serve customers even more efficiently. We are dedicated to the highest quality possible as always and we are growing.

I hope we can be of help to those in our area in need of services for their Cobras.

Jim
203 748 7356
Is Joe still running the show at DCE or has he retired? He built a lot of our engines around here.
Old 08-13-2022, 05:59 AM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 67 Shell Valley 429 SCJ
Not Ranked     
Default Fe

Rollins Customized Automotive
68 King Spring Rd
Windsor Locks CT
860-292-1441

Rusty is a great guy, one trip through his shop and youlike realize that this is the place for your car.
I've been going there for 15 years. He just did the intake on my 67 Shell Valley Cobra 428 SCJ.

Good luck,

Steve H.
Old 08-13-2022, 08:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Joe is retired. The same staff who built the engines are still here and we are adding more members to the team as we go. We have a good blend now of the same staff and new guys coming up to keep this going. We have 4 427's going together now. The latest was an aluminum Shelby block version with Trick flow heads.
Old 08-14-2022, 08:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA, 428, 4 speed Toploader, Jag rear, Red with White stripes
Not Ranked     

Great thread and nice to know this info on DCE. I am only 25 minutes from them and one of these day I will probably need their services. Nice to know that you are that happy and that they are very competent to handle any task FE related! You must be thrill at how the car is running now. Nobody ever wanted to listen to me in the past when I advised them to do the first 1oK miles on regular oil and then switch to full syn!
Thanks...Dave
ERA#698 428, 4 speed Toploader, 3:31 Jag rear

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: