Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree13Likes
  • 2 Post By Gaz64
  • 1 Post By Alfa02
  • 9 Post By patrickt
  • 1 Post By undy

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-27-2019, 08:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: superformance 427 sideoiler 482ci 600hp 4 downdraft webers tremic 5speed
Not Ranked     
Default value of a sideoiler

I am thinking of changing motors out of my cobra. I would like to sell the motor I currently have in it but not sure of the value.
It is a 427 sideoiler , 1968 block, bored out to a 482ci. It has Michigan aluminum heads, .705/700 lift. solid roller valve train, shoebeck solid lifters, windfield billet crank, oliver h beam rods, diamond pistons, cloise double roller timing chain, kanton oil pan. it currently has 48mm webers on it but not sure if I want to sell them with the motor. I am thinking the motor value at least 20k but not sure.
Old 02-27-2019, 09:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I would cost up the value of your next engine, which may give a better idea.

It may even sway your mind to keep the current engine.

Gary
Ron61 and Alfa02 like this.
Old 02-27-2019, 10:02 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Pacific Roadster, 347 cu.in. 5-speed
Not Ranked     

@ sideoiler427, I spoke with Jeff (1985 CCX) a few week's ago about my date-coded 1965 C5AE-H-block. I have complete history on this motor. As mine came from Holman & Moody to be installed in 66 Merc. stock car, Project was shelved in late 65, and a crew chief from Holman & Moody brought the 427 that year, where it sat (Crated) in his garage up till 5years ago, until the org. owner of my CR (they were friends) brought and had it freshen up here in Wa. state. All number matching (LeMans crank & rods), and just dyno time, I was some what surprised at the value of mine. But then again it would have to go to the right buyer for the kind of dollar figure we discussed (Such as a owner of a real car) As Jeff and I discussed mine could be installed in a full comp Cobra, or in a Ford GT-40 Mk.2 (By the date codes). So I believe that adds to the value of mine. I still believe the value is anything the buyer & seller are happy with, as Gaz64 said, come up with price for your new motor and go from there. My $.02 I would keep that motor Nothing like a Sideoiler! Cheers Tom
Gaz64 likes this.

Last edited by Alfa02; 02-27-2019 at 10:15 PM.. Reason: Added words
Old 02-28-2019, 03:26 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideoiler427 View Post
I am thinking of changing motors out of my cobra. I would like to sell the motor I currently have in it but not sure of the value.
It is a 427 sideoiler , 1968 block, bored out to a 482ci. It has Michigan aluminum heads, .705/700 lift. solid roller valve train, shoebeck solid lifters, windfield billet crank, oliver h beam rods, diamond pistons, cloise double roller timing chain, kanton oil pan. it currently has 48mm webers on it but not sure if I want to sell them with the motor. I am thinking the motor value at least 20k but not sure.
Things that will factor in on a value:

How far was the block over bored?
Compression ratio?
Quality of the parts used for the rebuild (only that you can document).
Fresh, documented rebuild, or if in the car, how much mileage on the rebuild?
Aluminum heads do not offer anything but typical used market value as most sideoiler buyers want a dated set of heads to go along with the block, so the block and what is inside, and the condition of what is inside of the block will be the deciding factor.

Intake and carbs will depend a lot on the numbers on the carbs. Low numbers equal a larger dollar figure than higher numbers.

I'll leave this up for now and let others extrapolate from here.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 02-28-2019, 05:06 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

In the real world, nothing is ever worth as much as you think it is.
Dwight, Blue66, Morris and 6 others like this.
Old 02-28-2019, 01:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: UCC GT 427
Not Ranked     

Might be better to just keep it / store it as a historical piece. You’ll never get the value for it, right or wrong. Build a modern stroker and run the crap out of it!
Old 02-28-2019, 03:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 289 FIA Superformance 425hp 289
Not Ranked     

Ditto
Old 03-01-2019, 04:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

IMHO, nowhere near $20K. $12K to $15K, maybe.
Dwight likes this.
Old 03-01-2019, 06:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: superformance 427 sideoiler 482ci 600hp 4 downdraft webers tremic 5speed
Not Ranked     

thanks for the input. The motor was bored .30 over and it has a 10.5 compression. Yes is know the only thing that is real is the short block but I have been told not too many around that is why trying to figure the value. It bent a pushrod and broke the rocker shaft on the no. eight piston going to replace the rocker assembly and see if any damage to the camshaft. I want to go in a different direction with the motor and would like to sell this one to offset the cost.
Old 03-01-2019, 06:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

0.030" over is pretty extreme for a stock block 427. I would want to see results of a prior sonic test before I'd even consider it, no matter what the price. Core shift during casting was a real and terrible problem for these blocks.
Old 03-02-2019, 08:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

Yes 0.030 does not leave much room if it needs bored again to true it up, and it should be sonic tested before boring again (if it needs it), but let's not act like it is a boat anchor either. There are a lot of SO blocks out there still running with patches after rods opened holes in it. Blocks can be sleeved. If done properly, no problems. They are relatively rare to find and no more originals will ever be produced. So it does have good value.

In my opinion, now is not a bad time to sell. In another generation or two, very few people will remember what a 427 SO FE engine was, let alone want one. Today there are still more people who would love to have one than exist. Supply verses demand makes an old engine, not worth $100 to the average person, worth $15,000 or $20,000 to the right person. The demand numbers will die off.
Old 03-02-2019, 08:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideoiler427 View Post
thanks for the input. The motor was bored .30 over and it has a 10.5 compression. Yes is know the only thing that is real is the short block but I have been told not too many around that is why trying to figure the value. It bent a pushrod and broke the rocker shaft on the no. eight piston going to replace the rocker assembly and see if any damage to the camshaft. I want to go in a different direction with the motor and would like to sell this one to offset the cost.
The fact that something broke and the total damage is unknown would make the engine less desirable to many. There is a risk factor. Most would want to pull the engine down and completely inspect it. Those costs would need to be subtracted off of the value it is worth in perfect running order. Plus a little more for the unknown risk factor.
Old 03-02-2019, 09:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: csx4163 full comp alu. body
Not Ranked     

Tight market right now in my humble opinion. Most people think they can build same for half price, sorry but parts cost real money today. You would need to show what you really have to get any firm offers, otherwise you will only get offers from bargain hunters. I would have professional shop tear it down and inspect so strangers would feel more comfortable with making reasonable offer based on third party, they could also get price to refresh. FWIW