Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By xb-60

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-26-2019, 03:02 AM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default 427? Not sure....

Not sure what I got here, but I was told it's a 427 cobra jet. I looked through these forums to help me out, but I can't find the stamp date to match anything....I found it by the oil filter. I think it reads WI9L3.......if anyone could help. I attached a picture for the viewing pleasure.
Attached Images

Old 04-26-2019, 04:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Is the block cross bolted? I've not heard of a 427 Cobra jet. There's a 428 cobra jet though. More info is needed.
Old 04-26-2019, 04:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Not that it matters a great deal but FE Cobra Jets were 428. The 427 came in a couple of flavors. It would be better if you posted quality photos of the sides and bottom of the block along with a current bore dimension to ID what you have.
Old 04-26-2019, 05:29 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The 428 Cobra Jet engines came in two versions too. There was the "Q" code which was the low end one. The "R" code had LeMans rods and lower end and some other things and it made more power than the "Q" code engine did. But both of them were much underrated at 335 horse. My "R" code engine dynoed out at 440 horse at 6,300 RPM. A friend who had the "Q" code engine in a GT had his dynoed and it came out at 401 horse at 5800 RPM.

I used to have a book that had most of the block codes in it for Ford engines but I gave it away when I stopped being active in the car scene here.
sorry I can't help with your engine but I don't remember any block code starting with what you showed.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 04-26-2019, 06:21 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I was under the impression the 427 was made for nascar or something like that? I don't know. I'll get some more pictures. I just thought we might find something out from casting code.
Old 04-27-2019, 01:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The casting date on the block is Nov. 3, 1969. It could be a lot of things, but a 427 is not likely one of them. More info is needed. If you can post a few pics of the back side of the block, crankshaft casting number, rods and maybe head casting numbers, it'll help a lot.
Old 04-27-2019, 05:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocanegramusic View Post
...I was told it's a 427 cobra jet....

There was a 351C Cobra Jet also....

"I was told..." is often unreliable

Cheers,
Glen
cycleguy55 likes this.
Old 04-27-2019, 05:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocanegramusic View Post
I was under the impression the 427 was made for nascar or something like that? I don't know. I'll get some more pictures. I just thought we might find something out from casting code.
The FE engines were made from 1958 through the mid 1970's. It started as a 331, then 352, 360, 390, 406, 410, 427, 428. There were truck version too. Somewhere near 1970, the FE were no longer put in cars, but continued to go into trucks.

Yes, the 427 was the NASCAR engine. It won the 24 hr LeMans, as well. All FE engines were Center Oiler (oil went to cam bearings first and then down to the mains) until the 427 Side Oiler (oil went to main bearings fist then up to the cam). There were 427 CO blocks in cars, boats, generators, and more. After its invention, the 427 SO went into all racing efforts. No other FE engines had the SO modification.

There was a 427 hemi combustion chamber, with overhead cam, designed to compete against the Chrysler 426 Hemi in NASCAR. Chrysler successfully whined about the overhead cam and got a new rule to ban the engine before it ever raced. Ford sent it to the drag racing teams where it became famous. Ford then decided two can play the whiny game, and got the Hemi head banned. Chrysler squealed like a stuck pig and took their ball home. They boycotted NASCAR for a year or two. Richard Petty and others switched to Ford during that time.

I've digressed again. Anyway no 427 cammer (SOHC) engines were ever sold in a production car. Few production cars were sold with 427 SO engines, but by the NASCAR rules at least 500 were sold. Most production cars with the 427 engine were center oilers. So the point being that the casting date was a date when a 427 block could have been cast, it is much much more likely to be something else, based on the date. However if you were told that it is a 427 by a reputable person who knows something about them, then maybe it is.
Old 04-27-2019, 11:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

And whatever it is it is not a pot of gold. It's not going to fund your retirement account, and in fact, by the time you pay packing/shipping/freight, you'll probably about break even on the sale. You'll do better if you can find someone local to pick it up.
Old 07-15-2019, 10:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
The 428 Cobra Jet engines came in two versions too. There was the "Q" code which was the low end one. The "R" code had LeMans rods and lower end and some other things and it made more power than the "Q" code engine did. But both of them were much underrated at 335 horse. My "R" code engine dynoed out at 440 horse at 6,300 RPM. A friend who had the "Q" code engine in a GT had his dynoed and it came out at 401 horse at 5800 RPM.

I used to have a book that had most of the block codes in it for Ford engines but I gave it away when I stopped being active in the car scene here.
sorry I can't help with your engine but I don't remember any block code starting with what you showed.

Ron
Slight correction.

Q and R code engines are the SAME. The Q is a motor that did not have a Ram Air induction. The R code was for Ram Air such as the famous Shaker Hood Scoop in the 69-70 Mustang.

Now, if you had a SUPER Cobra Jet you received the Le Mans Rods and a special counter-weight that went in front of the #1 Main. They were also solid lifter cams. This motor automatically came in the vehicle if you had 3.91 or 4.30 gears ordered.

Tom

Last edited by tomshep; 09-30-2019 at 09:28 PM..
Old 07-16-2019, 02:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance ford v8
Not Ranked     

I believe that the FE 428 has 2 bolt main caps where the FE 427 has 4 bolt main caps and two of bolts are cross bolted.
Old 07-16-2019, 04:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapier View Post
I believe that the FE 428 has 2 bolt main caps where the FE 427 has 4 bolt main caps and two of bolts are cross bolted.
Three caps are cross-bolted I believe - but who's counting.
Old 07-16-2019, 06:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
Three caps are cross-bolted I believe - but who's counting.
Correct - 3 caps are cross-bolted.

Last edited by cycleguy55; 07-16-2019 at 06:32 PM..
Old 07-17-2019, 03:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

They also made some 2 bolt main 427 motors used in industrial applications (power generation and irrigation).
Old 07-17-2019, 08:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by undy View Post
They also made some 2 bolt main 427 motors used in industrial applications (power generation and irrigation).
Interesting thread on that here: Industrial 427 Blocks