Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Grubby
  • 1 Post By patrickt
  • 3 Post By blykins

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2021, 10:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default 390 FE to 427 FE stroker

Good morning,
I found plenty of articles on the web, plus bits and pieces here, but not 100% what I am looking for.

South Africa is a place for good engineering, but bad for importing from the USA.

I like to build a stroker 390 to get to 427. I read that I need 4.125" stroke, 30 over and Chevy BB rods. I have a 390 crank.

Are the BB rods the same width as the 390 rods?

What is the pin/compression height of the piston, assuming Zero deck height?
Knowing the latter may allow me to find flat top pistons for 11:1 CR locally.

Can bigger valves fit the original cast heads? I don't have them yet, so I can't provide casting numbers.

What is a good hydraulic lifter cam, so that I can keep the stock rocker arm assy.

I am not after top hp and torque.
Old 04-13-2021, 07:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You really need a matched rotating assembly, crank, rods and pistons. The BB Chevy rods won't work on your stock 390 crank. Even if they would you have insufficient stroke to reach 427 ci. Your cast iron heads will accept a bit larger valves but the improvement will be minimal, maybe not worth the $$. I would go to a hydraulic roller, not a hydraulic flat tappet. That will yield more HP and eliminate the lifters takin out the cam problem. Remember, with any cam change you'll need to revisit if the valve springs need to be changed. Don't cheap-seat the rebuild. It'll come back to haunt you.
Old 04-13-2021, 10:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 838
Not Ranked     

I would contact one of the reliable engine builders and have them help spec parts.

Brent Lykins is a regular on this board and can spec and supply all you need.

John
rads42 likes this.
Old 04-15-2021, 08:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Morning,
in the two days I couldn't log in, I got the same valuable input from blykins: The 390 crank does not have enough meat to grind to 2.20" and give 4.125" stroke.

What was I thinking? Had this be possible, there wouldn't be any 390 cranks left since the early 70s!
Old 04-15-2021, 08:24 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominik View Post
Morning,
in the two days I couldn't log in, I got the same valuable input from blykins: The 390 crank does not have enough meat to grind to 2.20" and give 4.125" stroke.

What was I thinking? Had this be possible, there wouldn't be any 390 cranks left since the early 70s!
Dominik, FWIW I have a 4.125" stroke and a bore of 4.155” (bored .025” over from stock). But I started with a 428 block. If you've had your block tested, you might just send blykins the results so he can see how much "meat" you have on the bone. He will then be able to tell you just how far you can safely go. There are plenty of stroked "smaller" FEs here in the states and a number is just a number, so I wouldn't be hung up on shooting for 427 cubes. It doesn't mean anything. You can get a lot of power out of any FE that doesn't have a window in the side of the block.
Dominik likes this.
Old 04-15-2021, 09:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

Yep, I wouldn't be concentrated on the "427" because it will never be a true 427. It's just a stroked 390.

A 390 with TFS heads can make 540 hp on pump gas.
Dominik, rads42 and RB60 like this.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: