Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2002, 04:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Question Stroker engines

Dear Cobra drivers,

I'm wondering what the advantages or maybe disadvantages of a stroker engine (289 to 351) compared to a stock 351 Cleveland or Windsor are. Who can explain it to me ? My Cobra is equipped with such a stroker engine and I'm more than happy with it - but I can't compare it with a stock 351 because I never drove one neither in a Cobra nor in a Mustang.

Many thanks and best regards from Switzerland,
Old 07-08-2002, 10:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hello Walter,
There are many facets to your question. Lets start with the advantages:
Physical dimensions:
The 289/302 stroked to 331 or 347 ci will fit easier into certain cars, like a '65/66 Mustang, Sunbeam Tiger, early street rods, etc.
Although they are the same length, the 351W has nearly a 3/4 inch taller deck height than a 289/302, making some installations very tight. This is not a problem in a Cobra chassis.
Parts interchange:
If you already have a 289/302, stroking it to 347ci means you could use the same intake and exhaust manifolds/headers, distributor, and oil pan. All of these things would need to be replaced if building a 351W.
Original look: Nobody can tell that your 289 is 347ci by looking at it! You have a "wolf in sheep's clothing"

Disadvantages:
More power=no more displacement.
If you want more power from your 347, it will have to be done with bigger cylinder heads, more compression and a larger camshaft in order to raise the RPM ceiling because you are just about at the limit of how big you can make a 289/302.
The 351W can be increased to well over 400ci if more power is desired without having to raise the RPM ceiling.
Rod angle: The added stroke of the 347 increases the side loading of the cylinder walls which will accelerate wear.
Oil control: If your motor was built with the 5.4" long connecting rod, which most seem to be, The piston pin intersects with the oil ring-land. This usually means 347s consume more oil than average. These two issues, Rod angle and oil control, usually mean that a 347 is not a "long life" engine. But in reality, how long is it going to take you to put 50,000 mile on your Cobra?
Longevity is most likely not a concern.
I'm sure I've created more questions than answers, If you need more information, just write.
HTH,
Mike
Old 07-08-2002, 11:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Previous ERA owner on break
Not Ranked     
Lightbulb Dust off the old school books

OK, I’ll take a shot at this one. The generally accepted rule is that for a given displacement, larger bore/shorter stroke is better for generating higher horsepower, while smaller bore/longer stroke is better for generating low speed torque. To begin the discussion, we need to set some definitions.

Work is defined as a force moving through a distance. If you exert a force of 50 pounds to move a weight a distance of 4 feet, you have done 200 pound-feet of work. Note it doesn’t matter which direction you move the load, what matters is that you exerted a force through a distance.

Similarly, torque is defined as a force acting through a distance, and is also measured in units such as pound-feet. A force of 100 pounds moving acting through a lever-arm of 2 feet produces 200 pound-feet of torque.

Power is defined as the time-rate of doing work; that is, how quickly a given amount of work (lb-ft) can be completed. Horsepower is a somewhat arbitrary scale that was originally developed to standardize measuring the amount of coal which mining ponies could extract from a coal mine. James Watt (the same one the light bulbs reference) wished to determine how much coal an average mining pony could lift from a mine in a given period of time. He observed that the average pony could produce 22,000 pound-feet of work per minute; that is, could lift 220 pounds vertically by 100 feet, or 2200 pounds by 10 feet, in one minute. He reasoned that a draft horse, being bigger, could do 50% more work than a pony, and that’s how the horsepower came to be defined. One horsepower is therefore defined as the capability to complete 33,000 lb-ft of work in one minute, or 550 lb-ft of work per second.

Torque output of a piston engine is obviously a function of many factors, but the most important are stroke and compression ratio. A higher compression ratio will provide a higher cylinder pressure during the combustion process, which when acting across the surface area of the face of the piston equates to more force pushing down on the piston. A longer stroke will provide a longer lever arm for the cylinder pressure (force) to act through. It should therefore be obvious that we can increase the torque output of the engine by either increasing the combustion pressures, or increasing the lever arm the combustion pressures act through.

It should be obvious that if we can keep the torque output of the engine constant, and increase the engine output speed, we can do the same amount of work in a shorter period of time, or conversely do more work in the same period of time. Therefore, the output speed of the engine is directly related to the horsepower the engine can produce. To that end, horsepower in an internal combustion engine is calculated as:

(Torque x Engine speed) / 5,252 = Horsepower

The 5,252 constant is a result of converting of several of the measurements into common terms.

Now, to answer your original question, advantage to stroking the engine is to produce higher torque at a given engine speed. However, the price to be paid for stroking the engine is that, IN GENERAL TERMS, stroking will lower the maximum rpm at which the engine can operate. This is because, for a given engine rpm, the increase in stroke will result in an increase in maximum piston speed. That is, the piston and rod assembly must move farther during the same period of time, resulting in increased piston speed. This is accompanied by an increase in rotational forces on the rotating components, leading to higher stresses in lower end components such as bearings and crankshaft saddles. Much of this stress can be eliminated by careful balancing of the rotating components, but in general, a stroked engine operates at a lower peak rpm than its non-stroked counterpart. An example is the comparison between the Ford FE 427 and 428 engines. While it is possible to balance a 428 to run at higher rpms, most engine folks will acknowledge that the 427 will run to a higher rpm than a 428, while the 428 will likely produce more low rpm torque. This of course assumes that the compression ratios are similar on the two engines in question.

A more detailed discussion can be found in this link:

http://www.howstuffworks.com/horsepower.htm

Hope this is of some help.