Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2003, 11:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default 428 dyno numbers

What kind of dyno numbers are you guys getting out of 428's. And what are your setups? Any one dyno a 428 with a complete Edelbrock package.
Old 04-07-2003, 08:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

Yes I have! I had mine on the dyno for over 2 hours adjusting this and that and my rear wheel numbers were:
361 max hp at 5800 Rpm and straight line across the RPM range of about 352 lbs of torque.

However, that engine was junk and I will be putting my new engine on the dyno within the next two weeks to get some new numbers. My set has changes from hydraulic lifters to solids and a little bigger cam. So here is what I have now.

Fresh 428 CJ block .030 over, line honed, decked and surfaced, completely balanced, with new TRW 10.1 :1 compression pistons and Sealed Power Rings, sized and reconditioned CJ rods, Clevite bearings, all new ARP bolts for the mains, rods, heads and manifold. a new solid lifter comp cam w/ 571 lift, Edelbrock aluminium heads (cleaned up a bit), Sig Erson Alum Roller Rockers, Smith sized push rods, Edelbrock 2x4 medium riser manifold w/ two edelbrock 625 carbs, MSD 6AL ignition box, MSD FE Distributor, Accel 416 plugs, MSD 8mm plug wires and MSD Blaster coil. Plus a few other little things here and there.

Expect to fire it up Wednesday and break in the cam.

Clois

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"

Last edited by Clois Harlan; 04-07-2003 at 08:50 AM..
Old 04-07-2003, 09:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Cool, please post your new numbers! Sounds like you would be well over 400 at the motor.
Old 04-07-2003, 10:38 AM
The longest build.....
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Mid-States, 428 Police Interceptor, TKO 5 speed, Jaguar rearend, Trigos, and Guardsman Blue!!!
Not Ranked     
Question

ZZZZZZ,

Where at in MO ???

Cheers,
Bill Cook

www.bluecarministries.com
Old 04-07-2003, 10:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I am in Chesterfield, Mo.
Old 04-07-2003, 06:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

ZZZZZ

I have a 428 in a Premier Motor Sports car. I am very pleased with both the car and the motor. The Motor is 30 over. It came off an irrigation pump in western Ks or East Colo. Chuck Nickloy suggested we use mostly Edlebrock (sp) equip. We chose the Performer RPM series for the Intake, Heads, and Cam. the engine is a low compression engine, maybe 8.5 to 9.0 to 1. Used the old dish pistons out of the field as they were good ones. That way, can use pump gas anywhere. Have a 750 holley Double pumper. Wayne Rasmussen here in KC built the motor and did a very good job (had to replace the rear main, but fixed it correctly). We put it on a bench dyno. I do not have the figures here at home to tell you the exact RPMs, but the max HP was 461 and torque at about 520. May have been 518. If you want more exact numbers let me know. We used the MSD system.

Brian
Old 04-10-2003, 04:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I am surprised out of all the fe's on this form only 2 have dynoed them. Any one else have any numbers.
Old 04-11-2003, 09:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default dyno

I have my 428 with cast pistons,rpm cam and heads but I put webers on the setup. I had the car on chassis dyno to dial in webers and the motor pulled 442 lb ft and approx 394hp at rear wheels @4000rpm. I am very happy with motor and have over 2000 miles in six months. The most impressive #s are the temp #s. I run the black magic fan with grffin alum rad.
Old 04-11-2003, 10:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

WADERACES, WHAT COMPRESSION RATIO ARE YOU RUNNING? YOU NUMBERS SOUND GREAT!
Old 04-11-2003, 10:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427SC w/428 & Richmond 5-speed Car 611.
Not Ranked     

Have had mine dyno'd when built.
At the crank there was 452 hp and 460 lbft.
Don't know what's at the rear wheels.
Old 04-11-2003, 10:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Todd, whats your setup consist of?
Old 04-11-2003, 09:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None yet, saving $ for a Kirkham. Buy a FE from me and I'll be that much closer.
Not Ranked     

ZZZZZZ,

My name is Randy Ritchey, I'm still pretty new on the forum so you probably don't know me, but I have built and dynoed bunches of 428's. It is very easy to get mid 400's HP and mid 500's torque out of a 428, especially with the Edel. aluminum heads and intake. Even with factory C8OE-N heads it is not hard to do. 450 HP and 550 ft-lb is easy to get from a mild mannered street 428 using the Edelbrock top end. If you are looking for all-out power, a well built and balanced cobra jet bottom end with Edelbrock top end and a healthy solid or roller cam can push 600 HP, but I'm talking about a rough, barely (if at all) streetable motor. But in reality, how much power can you harness on the street? 450 horses will melt the best street tires on any cobra, at a 30 MPH punch. If you are looking for a good, dependable motor I strongly recommend the Edelbrock heads and RPM intake. Their cam is good too, but you can do much better with a split duration cam to help those exhaust ports. You will end up with more power than you will ever need and still have good street manners. I hope this helps, and if you have questions feel free to ask. You can e-mail me at randy.ritchey@atkinsamericas.com if you want, I don't get on the forum that often. If you are looking for help getting a motor together I can fix you up with a beauty. Thanks!

Thanks for looking and have a blessed day!
"For whosoever shall call upon the name of the LORD shall be saved."
Romans 10:13
Old 04-12-2003, 12:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Rritchey, what would it take to get 600 horsepower out of a 428. I have yet to dyno my setup, but sounds like you have experience with the 428 and a dyno. This is my setup, what do you think the horsepower would be, and what would it take for me to get to 600 from here. I will be dynoing the motor soon, let you know how close your guess is.

428 balanced & bored 30 over
cobra jet rods
trw forged pistons 10.32:1 compression
edelbrock performer rpm heads and intake
harlan sharp 1.76 rockers
comp cams 294s solid with 605 lift
edelbrock 750 carb
Old 04-12-2003, 03:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner Contemporary FIA with 351W,Former Owner KMP 296 FIA Hybrid. Former owner CSX4241
Not Ranked     

428 Motor Dyno:

@5300 rpm 460hp 454 ft-lbs
@3554 rpm 360hp 532 ft-lbs
@5900 rpm 478hp 425 ft-lbs

Stu
Old 04-12-2003, 09:42 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Original ERA 427sc, Powered by Gessford
Not Ranked     

Stush-
Those are some nice numbers. What cam shaft are you using?

Thanks,
Mike

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."
Old 04-12-2003, 01:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None yet, saving $ for a Kirkham. Buy a FE from me and I'll be that much closer.
Not Ranked     

ZZZZZZ,

This is Randy Ritchey again, you listed good parts, sounds like you are on the road to getting a nice 428. However, it is hard to "guess" what your dyno results will be because you can give the same parts to 3 different builders and get 3 very different results. It all depends on how your parts are prepped and assembled. If you are using "out of the box" Edelbrock heads, you are not going to see 600HP. You won't get that high with the comp 292 either. Please don't mis-understand, if your combo is assembled well, you are going to be pleased. My guess is that you will have 420 to 450 HP and probably 500 to 530 torque. That's enough to make even a heavy car fun to drive. Please post your numbers when you get them so we can all know how it came out. Most of all - have FUN with it!

Have a bessed day!
Randy

Old 04-12-2003, 01:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner Contemporary FIA with 351W,Former Owner KMP 296 FIA Hybrid. Former owner CSX4241
Not Ranked     

I think the Cam is 294L

Stu
Old 04-12-2003, 03:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Guys What are these cams being installed at? I have a 9.2 motor with a 501-533 cam at 4degress retarded I get 340rwhp and 433 tork rw. with a flat line on both up to 5000 before it tops out. 1.72 rockers and 700 rpm idle. These cars are not happy with more than 550 rwhp and still drivable. 550rwhp will make a cobra a 10 second car on the street. There is not much that is going to keep up with it to a 130 mph, after this speed GOOD LUCK you are on your own. The more power you make the shorter the life of your engine. High lift cams where out valve springs in 12 to 15k miles. How many guys loosen their valve trains after the year is over for the car?? I bet not many. A car sits all winter with 2 valve springs under load for 4 to 5 months. DO you think that these two springs are as strong as the ones that are closed all winter??? Just a thought. Rick Lake
Old 04-12-2003, 07:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Rick brings up a very good point. If you don't live in Florida and you have to put your car on jack stands for 3 or 4 months, you MUST loosen the rocker shafts and let your springs up. This means you will have to re-check your lash come springtime, but at least your springs will still be alive. Also a good point about having too much power. The mild mannered 425 HP 428 motors have the happiest owners. They consistantly perform with little to no maintenance and 400 HP in a 2000 Lb car is a rush.

Old 04-13-2003, 05:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

rritchey, cam I have is the 294s, its a solid lifter cam. This setup has me running 11.80's on bfg radials, with the 294 cam not the 292 cam you mentioned you still think 425 - 450 horsepower. Had the performer rpm cam and changed for more power.