Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-28-2003, 05:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary, 427 FE Center Oiler w/ 48 IDA Webers
Send a message via AIM to zimmy
Not Ranked     
Question What are these heads?????

I need help from this knowledgable crowd on what heads I have that I just removed from my 1965 427 top oiler. They are cast heads and the only markings on them are as follows:

There is a Fomoco cast in.
The only other castings are: 5L27 and DIF 12

Does anyone know what they are and more importantly what the combustion chamber volume is originally????

Old 04-28-2003, 09:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427SO with big twin autolite inlines on custom intake, jag rear, top loader, wembeldon white, guardsmen blue stripes
Not Ranked     

You sure there isn't a 'C' something between the middle spark plug holes?

Remember!, there's a huge difference between a 'parts' changer, and a mechanic.
Old 04-28-2003, 09:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Perry:

If only there were!!! All of the Ford engine books I have say the same thing. But no. What I posted is all that is on the head. It is Ford because there is a small Fomoco cast in but nothing else that I expected to find. I'm stumped.
Old 04-28-2003, 09:36 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Zimmy,

are the chambers sand cast (little bumpy) or machined ?
Old 04-29-2003, 12:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427SO with big twin autolite inlines on custom intake, jag rear, top loader, wembeldon white, guardsmen blue stripes
Not Ranked     

Can you post good pics with intake and exhaust measurements. Heck, you might
have a rare item of some sort, dem ford boys did all sorts of strange things....

Remember!, there's a huge difference between a 'parts' changer, and a mechanic.
Old 04-29-2003, 07:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

KobraKarl:

I will check when I get home Friday. I'm out of town at the moment. I believe that they were machined but I'm not fully sure.

My guess is a marine or truck head. Just can't reference the number.

Good to hear from another Contemporary owner.

Perry:

I'll post a picture and some dimensions on the weekend when I get home, but I am very sure it isn't rrae or valuable. Doesn't fit with the people that built it or my history with the car builder. More than likely I was ripped off and they are very poor heads from an old truck or boat!!!
Old 04-29-2003, 09:19 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M / Power Performance / 521 stroker / Holley HP EFI
Not Ranked     

Hi Zimmy,

Here's a couple pieces of the answer, regrettably unhelpful:

Quote:
The "12 DIF" on the blocks mean that they were cast at the Detroit Iron Foundry using mold number 12. All FE blocks came from DIF, and most have "DIF" on them somewhere. I don't know anyone who has tracked mold numbers, and don't believe they are particularly significant.
It came from this thread in the FE forum:

FE message thread

From the same source, here's another potentially relevant item:

Quote:
Using Ford's part marking conventions, a manufacture date of March 13, 1969, would be coded as "9C13".
Taking a stab at "5L27" I get December 27, 1965.

If there aren't any more markings, I can't do any more sleuthing

Maybe it's just an anonymous set of heads

Perhaps Fred or Rick could tell you more?

Tom
Old 04-29-2003, 09:44 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Tom,

I come up with the same date that you do. If the head is off the date code should also be inside the valve covers , normally about the middle of the head and under the rocker arms. That same date code should be on the block if the block and heads came together from the factory.

Ron :

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 05-03-2003, 08:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: -Sold- Contemporary 427S/C # CCX-3152 1966 427 Med Rise Side Oiler, 8v 3.54:1 Salisbury IRS, Koni's.. (Now I'm riding Harleys)
Not Ranked     

Service heads. You will need to cc them..

A man that is young in years, may be old in hours, if he have lost no time. But that happeneth rarely. Generally, youth is like the first cogitations, not so wise as the second. For there is a youth in thoughts, as well as in ages... Sir Francis Bacon (1561-1626)
Old 06-25-2003, 05:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 4859GT Spyder GT 414W EFI
Send a message via Yahoo to stengun
Not Ranked     

Howdy,

I had a 428-4v and never could find much info on it. I got it from in original owner, I pulled it out of a '66 galaxie that was wrecked and had never been touched before. The ports and valves where bigger than a '69 428cj and had to us 427mr intake gaskets. Had different rods and alot of unknow part numbers. The guy at the machine shop was a big FE person and tried to keep my engine, had to talk to the owners to get my stuff back. Good luck... Paul.
"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'" (Author unknown)
Old 06-27-2003, 07:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: -Sold- Contemporary 427S/C # CCX-3152 1966 427 Med Rise Side Oiler, 8v 3.54:1 Salisbury IRS, Koni's.. (Now I'm riding Harleys)
Not Ranked     

Ford did a lot of mixing and matching at the end of the FE run 68-70. Even as far back as 66 there were 427's being pullled out of line to make 390's. It is always worth looking at a FE powered car for interesting pieces you might not expect to find.

A man that is young in years, may be old in hours, if he have lost no time. But that happeneth rarely. Generally, youth is like the first cogitations, not so wise as the second. For there is a youth in thoughts, as well as in ages... Sir Francis Bacon (1561-1626)