Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
June 2024
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-21-2003, 08:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427 brushed aluminum with Keith Craft 527C.I. all aluminum FE
Not Ranked     
Default Genesis 489FE, 719HP, 670ft/lbs

We just finished one of the 427FE's we are doing with the Genesis blocks. This engine was a 4.280 bore with a Scat 4.250 cast steel crank and 4340H-beam rods with JE pistons. This engine had one of our custom hydraulic rollers with about 12 to 1 compression. We used a stage 2 Edelbrock head with a Dove single plane intake. The carburation was one of our 950HP DaVinci craburators with a cnc 2 inch spacer. This engine idles at 900 rpm's and makes power to 6800rpm's. Max tourqe is at 4600 to 5000 and the max horsepowers is at 6300 to 6400 rpm's. The tourqe being between 660 to 670 in that range and the power peaking at 719 while still making 710 at 6700rpm's. This is one of our crate engines with the Genesis block up-grade and longer stroke. This engine sold for 15,800.00 complete of the dyno. Let us know if we can help with any of you FE engine needs. Bringing the FE engine into the 21st century.
Old 10-21-2003, 08:54 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

All I can say is... WOW.

Ben
Old 10-22-2003, 04:53 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Is that with the aluminum or iron block?

Please address parts inquiries to eraparts@sbcglobal.net
Old 10-22-2003, 07:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

719 ponies is highly impressive - couple of questions.

Is this a road or race engine setup - idle @900rpm sounds interesting?
What octane fuel are those dyno numbers on?
Won't 12:1 compression generate some serious heat - is this the benefit of the Genesis blocks?
What kind of torque does this engine generate at low rpm's (1500-3000) range?

JC
Old 10-22-2003, 11:28 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     

Keith,
Thanks for posting something real and tangible on the Genesis platform. Many of us have been hoping to hear from someone who's really built one and used it.

Maybe you'll have some follow-up reports on quality, reliability, longevity of the Genesis block as it gets used and tested...

BTW, just helped a friend "reconfigure" one of those expensive DaVinci carbs on an SPF... It was set up for the 'ol Shelby Alu 427 motor that I hear came from your shop; not sure. It was Waaaaaay Toooooooo Rich for out here in California. Must be a thin air thing or something. Pulled those PV plugs, put some real PVs back in it, jetted down a few notches on Pri/Sec, down just a hair on the DC squirters, and wallah! Much better. Not sure why someone would jet so fat unless it was just for WOT Dyno (non-exhaust) testing. Anyhow, it made a bid difference in the performance in every way.

Last edited by decooney; 10-22-2003 at 08:23 PM..
Old 10-26-2003, 10:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Dreaming of a 427 Competition car...
Not Ranked     

Keith,

As Bob asked, is that an alloy block or a cast iron one?

What would be the going rate for an engine to similar spec. but at 427 inches? Steel crank and decent connecting rods, hydraulic roller cam, circa 500 horses, etc. ex-dyno. Not yet in a position, but hoping to be within a few months, if the job hunting goes well!

Cheers,

Paul
Old 10-26-2003, 12:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold 3047 & 3002 in 2012
Not Ranked     
Default QUESTIONS......

Can you post the dyno sheet with all the columns?

What did the heads flow?

What Rods did you use?
Bearing Size? Stock FE .919? Chevy .990? Other?

Did you run the difference between dual plane?
How much better do you figure the single plane for?

Will the single fit under the hood of a Cobra?

That's an awfull lot for an FE.....Good Job

www.competitionlife.com

"Hurry Up And Live"
Old 10-26-2003, 10:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427 brushed aluminum with Keith Craft 527C.I. all aluminum FE
Not Ranked     

The block is a iron block at 4.280 bore and 4.250 stroke. The heads flow 320 intake @ .650 lift and exhaust 250@ .650 lift. The compression is 12 to 1 and run on VP12 fuel. The engine will have no problem running hot with the proper cooling system and fuel. I did not dyno with a dual plane intake but from past projects I fell it would have hurt the HP about 25 on the top end and helped the tourqe about 20ft/lbs. We are doing a 496 in a Shelby block with a solid roller and about 11.5 to1 and a single plane intake that should be interesting. A engine similiar to this but with a dual plane intake , hydlaulic roller and steel crank with 427CI would be about 13,000.00 to 14,000.00 . The crank used in this engine was a Scat cast steel crank with the 2.200 rod journals and we used a 6.800 long rod with the .990 pin. They were also from Scat. The pistons were a custom JE which is what we have used in all of these FE's, The DaVinci carbs we are using are HP950's. I have talked to him about installing power valves and when you do this you have to jet down about 6 to 7 jet sizes. This makes the car idle better and works better on the street. I told him we were using these on street strip vehicles and now we have them working pretty well. I will try to get some of the dyno pulls posted with more in formation. Thanks intake
Old 10-27-2003, 03:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Dreaming of a 427 Competition car...
Not Ranked     

Keith,

One last question. How much extra for an alloy block? Either Shelby or Genesis. Just ballpark figures, you understand.

Thank you!

Paul
Old 10-27-2003, 08:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Blocks

The only aluminum block we can get right now is the Shelby block. A engine like this one above would run about 2000.00 more because of the cost difference in the blocks and the heads studs for the aluminum block are about 225.00 more than the ones for the steel block. Hope this helps a little. I did a quote for a Gentleman today for a engine similiar to this one but with a Shelby block and it was about 17,500.00 give or take a little. We have been getting some real good results with both blocks. Thanks, Keith

Last edited by Keithc8; 10-27-2003 at 08:38 PM..
Old 10-27-2003, 08:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold 3047 & 3002 in 2012
Not Ranked     
Default Keith

You climing my respect ladder. Heads flow good. Rod choice is probobly best thing I have heard from you. The 6.800 is alot of the reason you are gettin what you got. That's one of the big keys. I was told not to use them but mine was over 7000 all day and it wanted more..

www.competitionlife.com

"Hurry Up And Live"
Old 10-27-2003, 10:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP329 w/KC489 Shelby
Not Ranked     

What is your lead time for an Shelby block crate w/ Velasco crank and T&D rockers (and any other basis long lead component I didn't mention)?

Dreamer
Old 10-28-2003, 08:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Lead Time

I have two Shelby big bore blocks in stock right now. These are the blocks that come in at 4.375 from Shelby and can be bored up to 4.440. I have a Scat 4.250 billet crank in stock right now. I expect two Valasco's to be here in about two weeks. My other eight Shelby blocks are suppose to start shipping next week and into the following week. We have been waiting on the sleeves fron Darton to finish them. I have Oliver 6.700 and 6.800 billets in stock as well as Scat 4340 forged H-beams. Edelbrock stage two and CNC heads also in stock. I have been keeping about three T&D rocker kits and two Erson rocker kits in stock. We have about ten FE's in production right now. Everything from a Shelby 496, 428 stock block block strokers, NHRA Super Stock engine, three Genesis engines that are 482, 489 and 496 as well as a Ford side oiler project. We are about eight to ten weeks out on engines complete of the dyno. Hope this helps a little bit.
Old 10-28-2003, 08:24 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2 dr roadster, V-8, 4 spd.
Not Ranked     

Keith, for street use only, can I get a 20,000 mile warranty with that set up,, all parts, labor, removal, shipping included? Possibly house calls as well?

Last edited by ToyCollector; 10-28-2003 at 08:26 PM..
Old 10-28-2003, 08:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well it would probably have to be a de-tuned model. I know that not anyone would run their engine very hard. I will say this with proper care I believe the 20,000 miles would not be a problem with a pump gas hydraulic roller 600-650 horsepower engine. I don't know about the house calls, I guess it would depend on where it was and what we could do after we got there.
Old 11-07-2003, 02:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Keith...
What kind of power would you get out of a 390-416 with a similar set up? And what kind of power will a 390 block hold reliably?
Old 11-11-2003, 08:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The 390 block will handle about 600HP with the right parts. I would run one of our girdles and try to find a three web block as well. I think you could make 550 to 650HP depending on compression and camshaft used. We are also doing these with the 428 block as well. We have both in stock. Thanks Keith
Old 11-17-2003, 12:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

If I wanted to strip my edelbrock heads down (427) what would the cost be to have them CNC'd with your program(s)? I also have a spare engine with the 428 smaller valve aluminum heads. Can the same program work for them? If yes does the service alter the intake or exhaust ports at all and do I need to re-port match the intake & headers?

Thanks!
Old 11-17-2003, 07:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: -Sold- Contemporary 427S/C # CCX-3152 1966 427 Med Rise Side Oiler, 8v 3.54:1 Salisbury IRS, Koni's.. (Now I'm riding Harleys)
Not Ranked     

Wow... How about some photo's and a dyno sheet for us to admire...

A man that is young in years, may be old in hours, if he have lost no time. But that happeneth rarely. Generally, youth is like the first cogitations, not so wise as the second. For there is a youth in thoughts, as well as in ages... Sir Francis Bacon (1561-1626)
Old 11-17-2003, 07:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: -Sold- Contemporary 427S/C # CCX-3152 1966 427 Med Rise Side Oiler, 8v 3.54:1 Salisbury IRS, Koni's.. (Now I'm riding Harleys)
Not Ranked     

A man that is young in years, may be old in hours, if he have lost no time. But that happeneth rarely. Generally, youth is like the first cogitations, not so wise as the second. For there is a youth in thoughts, as well as in ages... Sir Francis Bacon (1561-1626)