Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
June 2024
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2003, 07:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: -Sold- Contemporary 427S/C # CCX-3152 1966 427 Med Rise Side Oiler, 8v 3.54:1 Salisbury IRS, Koni's.. (Now I'm riding Harleys)
Not Ranked     
Lightbulb

I sent this e-mail to Douglas, but after reading it I thought I would post it for anyone else interested. He has first call but it's a funny (sad) story and seemed like it needed to be posted here...

Douglas,

Look at my photo gallery. It is the engine in the car. The short block has 2500 miles on it and the heads have less than 20,000. The engine is a 1968 428. C8AE. (passenger car) The heads are 1968 390 GT (bigger valves than the 428 street engine) I am selling it to install a 1966 427 C5AE SO (med rise) I have put together. You are welcome to come for a ride if you are interested or have a third party do so. (Turk lives 2 bolcks away)

The engine is really strong for a "stock" 428 and is likely about 10:1 compression with lots of extras. It has tons of torque fires right up and runs at 175-185 degrees. No knocks or major leaks. No repairs as far as I know (I do have photo's of the bottom end from when I put a new oil pump in) It was a standard pump, I installed a high volume and a larger oil pump drive. It gets 65-75 psi of oil pressure cold and 40-60 hot with two big oil filters in line. It uses a little bit of oil, some by "marking it's territory" and some no doubt internally. The engine sat from 1995-2001 with no miles on it. It makes a puff of white smoke (sometimes) when you fire it up out the right side. It might be valve seals it might need to have the heads done. I don't know. But it runs great. It uses a quart of oil every 800-1000 miles or so. I have added two quarts in two years.

The story on the block / heads is the guy I got it from had zero mechanical ability, he relied on a mechanic in the SF Bay Area, 75 miles from here. The shop was a specialty hot rod & cobra shop and the rate was $100. p/h. As such every time the thing sputtered a little it went into the shop, every time the bill was $750-$1,000. Yea he saw the guy coming. In any case the car developed a misfire. The mechanic diagnosed it as carburation and suggested new carbs. $1500. (yea right). The guy decided to wait as times were tight. On the way home from the shop the car threw a rod (carbs eh?)

The guy trailers the car back to the shop and obviously the rod sticking out the skirt was the problem. A new complete double-roller street block was put in... $2800. The heads were ok and re-used and the car was trailered back to Vacaville (where we live). The car still had the original problem of misfiring. He drove it about 500 miles with the misfire and parked it. In the mean time the guy got hurt on the job, couldn't drive the car, his wife got hooked on crack, he got hooked on oxy-contin... His wife went to jail for forgery (signing his name to bad checks) he got clean but in the mean time his house was in foreclosure.

I happened by saw he was moving (two years ago this week) and saw the car. I asked him if it was for sale (everything else was) He said it was $40,000.... Does it run? (it didn't look like it did) "It needs new carbs" he said.. Hmmmm.. " I'll think about it" (no f'ing way 40k)

Two weeks later I came by again. The lights were off, weirdly off as if he moved out, no power but his truck was there. I knocked on the door. He was home. Indeed the power had been turned off. He and his (step) daughter were keeping the place heated by the fireplace. "I came about the car" I said. Obviously embarassed about his situation he explained they sold the house but accidently had the power shut down a week early. I offered to pop the meter and get him going again "until the power company can come back out"... No.. it was ok.. "How about a generator?" Yea? you have one? So I went home got him a generator, 100' of extention cord, an electric heater and came back with a couple pizzas. It was Dec 22... There was a single 100w bulb on a trouble light with a generator running in the garage when we made a deal...

I've only put 1800 miles on it and have slowly been restoring it, new wheels, small parts, now the 427. Here's a pic of where I got the car, what it looks like now and the engine I'm putting in. I am selling it as a complete long bock. Block & heads assembled without an oil pan, valve covers, manifold, dip stick, etc. I have tons of spares If you need the things. "Running core" value on the parts for rebuild is $750. $400 for the block and $350 for GT heads. I want $1,000. I think someone could put at least 50k on this engine trouble fee. I also think at a min. new vale seals or maximum a head job would cure the smoking and oil consumption issue. But even if you just drove it as-is it would be fine for a long time. I am open to interesting trades, cobra stuff, guns, whatever.

Regards,

A man that is young in years, may be old in hours, if he have lost no time. But that happeneth rarely. Generally, youth is like the first cogitations, not so wise as the second. For there is a youth in thoughts, as well as in ages... Sir Francis Bacon (1561-1626)
Old 12-07-2003, 09:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: HM-2027 / 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Michael. That's quite a story. Also that was really nice of you to help them out. BTW I finally put those 427 main caps to use in my 406. It was a perfect candiate. They were an odd set as only one had the brinnel indentation and the other two did not but none they less worked fine. The freeze plugs also have a happy home there too. Good luck with your 427. Sounds like an awsome engine. G.
Old 12-30-2003, 07:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic CCX 3970: 1965 427 Cobra S/C, Shelby aluminum 427 CSX 290 (468 cu in) engine
Not Ranked     

I have a 390 FE (428 ci in) that needs a sleeve (+). Ran fine in my Cobra until wrist pin retainer came loose and wrist pin gouged block. Complete engine for sale, including 800 Holley, Cobra air cleaner, alternator, starter, Mallory distributor with MSD box, windage plate, etc. Not sure what this is worth, but willing to sell very reasonably to good home.
Old 06-01-2007, 03:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five MK3, 390 FE, Toploader
Not Ranked     

Power surge and I bought FEs from this guy. I haven't started mine yet, but everything was nicely packaged, he's very helpful on the phone and the consensus is the workmanship looked very good. May be worth a look:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FORD-...mZ140121440772

Here's what mine looks like:

Old 06-01-2007, 03:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2108
Not Ranked     

Wow! This thread is still kicking around? I decided on a small block several years ago, and bought an ERA 289 FIA which I'm building in my garage.

No, I do not plan on pulling a Turk and stuff a 427 SO under the hood of my 289 FIA. I'll be content with a nasty little 347...

DD

"You're kidding, right?"
Old 06-01-2007, 03:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five MK3, 390 FE, Toploader
Not Ranked     

Doh! I didn't even notice the original post date. Sorry. LOL