Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2003, 06:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Best Hi-Torque Starter ?

I see alot of starters out there which ones are the best ?

Long life and starting ability.

Greg
Old 12-09-2003, 06:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Exact427
Not Ranked     
Default Fitting in tight quarters is most important

Subtle differences in how the adjustable starters fit make ALL the difference (each pivots on the base to some extent).

The CVR starter for the FE (available at Jegs) allows maximum rotation points to keep the wiring out of the headers. The FE newsgroup recommended this one and it fits much better than the ohter two (2) major brands I had tried.

Life and power are unknow, it works and FITS GREAT! Darn important in tight quarters.

CVR Protorque Racing Starters
171-5049 Ford FE $199.99

Ad says: These units are completely sealed with rubber ''O'' rings and the solenoid is encased in a heat-resistant aluminum housing for those close-header applications.

Last edited by Roger Bolick; 12-09-2003 at 07:19 PM..
Old 12-09-2003, 06:56 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 351W, T5, Red & White
Not Ranked     

Check the Summit brand hi-torque starter, outward appearance, it looks, sounds and adjusts just like a Tilton, at a much lower cost.

Does anyone know who makes these starters for Summit ?
Old 12-09-2003, 07:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

I have a CVR....CVS...whatever it is....for my small block. 4.41:1 gear reduction......They make it very easy to mount...a couple of set screws and you can manipulate the mounting base anyway you want....and position the starter at any angle....
Old 12-10-2003, 09:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have a Powermaster starter. After a little work in clearancing, that I cannot totally blame on the starter, it seems to kick over my 427 with 11:1 just fine! Cost was $199.95 at Summit. The only disadvantage was, the wiring hookup was between the starter and the block. It was easier to hook up the wires, then bolt the stater in.
Old 12-10-2003, 11:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Maker
Send a message via AIM to Bill E Send a message via Yahoo to Bill E
Not Ranked     

We have used the CVR,s in all our cars for the last 4 years and have not had a single problem. A stroked 460 is no problem for one of the CVR units. I think they are made by Nipindinso.
Old 12-13-2003, 04:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: HM-2027 / 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Some of the aftermarket ones I see only have two mounting holes mini's included. Check out this one from PA preformance. www.pa-performance.com $179. Three mounting holes and a lifetime warr. G.
Old 12-13-2003, 05:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Plug in part number 1806FE. Sorry its $170. G.
Old 04-18-2004, 05:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4100-Shelby 75th Anniversary Edition
Send a message via AIM to Cobra75
Not Ranked     

FFR 428
Did you buy the starter from Pa Performance? If so, how does it fit and perform?

Bill E,
Do you build aluminum FE engines? If so which starters fits them without clearance issues, particularly around the block plug' boss?
Old 04-18-2004, 08:55 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates, Genesis 427 S/O
Not Ranked     

GregN,

I also have a Powermaster starter, I have 10:1 compression, turns it over with no problem.

Chris-
slithering
Old 04-21-2004, 04:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX 4766 (Vegas Built) with 482 Aluminum Pond motor
Not Ranked     

Do NOT BUY A STARTER FROM PA PERFORMANCE. ALL FE STARTER HAVE BEEN RECALLED INCLUDING THE ONE I HAD!! Now I am looking for a good replacement. The Powermaster sounds good. Chris where did you purchase your.

Morgan
Old 04-21-2004, 08:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4100-Shelby 75th Anniversary Edition
Send a message via AIM to Cobra75
Not Ranked     

That's curious. I just spoke to them, and they said nothing about the FE starter recall.
Old 04-22-2004, 08:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: -Sold- Contemporary 427S/C # CCX-3152 1966 427 Med Rise Side Oiler, 8v 3.54:1 Salisbury IRS, Koni's.. (Now I'm riding Harleys)
Not Ranked     

I got the powermaster too. I'm also at 11:1 and it seldom turns half a turn before it fires. I did not like the way my powermaster had the terminals (there are two) facing the block at first. But in retrospect it worked out better. Clearance to the side of the block is pretty tight and even tighter to the block directly above the starter. I ended up using a longer (32") cable to mystarter selinoid. The first time I mounted the starter I directed the shorter starter cable toward the selinoild as the OEM starter had been. In this direction the cable hit the block. I ended up rotating the cable to the frontand turning it to run down the side of the starter behind the bell housing and well away from the headers. It made for a very clean installation.

A man that is young in years, may be old in hours, if he have lost no time. But that happeneth rarely. Generally, youth is like the first cogitations, not so wise as the second. For there is a youth in thoughts, as well as in ages... Sir Francis Bacon (1561-1626)
Old 04-22-2004, 02:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well I should have check this post days ago.............
Greg, yes I have the PA performance starter. It's still in the box so I can't comment on it.
Morgan, whats up with the recall???? Did they send you some notification or something????? I've heard nothing. Did you get a refund? Looks like a call to PA is in order. Thanks for the heads up on this. G.
Old 04-24-2004, 03:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I just heard back from PA performance about the recall. It seems a batch of the noses they had machined did not allow full engagement of the starter gear. The problem has been addressed and corrected and this was grounds for the recall. Alhough it was only one batch they recalled ALL the FE starters to check if there was any further batches that had passed through without being caught. Well it's nice to see they have addressed the problem and corrected it. The units sold from now on will be fine as well as the bad ones replaced. There is a 2 week lead time on new orders being shipped till they sort out the recalls. Thought everyone might want to know what the deal is. G.