Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 12-31-2003, 05:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via AIM to mj_duell
Not Ranked     
Talking It Is Alive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Everyone,
I have been fighting a nagging problem lately involving my MSD Box, Wiring and/or my Carb. The engine would want to run, but just couldn't seem to get going. I had checked and set the timing many times and had my work double-checked by others. I had checked for fuel, spark and air and all seem to be right with the world. However, she still would not fire. After the second week of no ignition, I decided to scrap the wiring a had and redo every wire and double-check every switch with a meter all over again. I had two very helpful, knowledgeable people with me also working on the problem. One who has already built one A&C Cobra.

The problem was discovered:

The Lucas Ignition switch was showing keyed positive power "Run" on the second position when coming from "Off" (First position). That is what is supposed to happen, Cool. However, after turning the key to the third position "Start" and then back to the second position "Run" there was no power. The Switch was bad! I had been fooled because when I had previously tested the switch I had only tested the switch coming from the off position.

After discovering this issue, we went down to Advance Auto and grabbed a generic 68 Ford mustang 4 post ignition. It took about ten minutes to wire it up. What happened next is hard to explain. It is only shadowed by the birth of my daughter and my marriage to my wife (Well, I'm sure there are other things but they escape me at this moment).

Pop, pop, pop......Pop, Pop..... Nothing. RRRRRRRRRRROARRRRRR!!!!, Blub, Blub, Blub..... Angels wept, Champagne fell from the heavens. Pat, Jeff and myself stood looking at the motor in a moment of awe. I know for a lot of you this is a feeling which you have become accustom too. For me it was a near religious experience. I had visions of the up and coming summer. Cruising along stretches of the local expressways and coastal lake roads. I was laughing like a school girl and then my wife opened the door to the garage. I thought I was in trouble. We have a six month old and it was about eight thirty at night. Too my surprise, she was smiling ear to ear as well. When I finally turned off the engine she told me that everything on the garage side of the house was shaking. Immediately after I was asked by her "When will it be done?!". I cannot wait for summer.

Thanks to all for their advice on the problem. This is a great place for Cobra owners and just good people.

-- Mike

Old 12-31-2003, 08:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #676, 428SCJ (2x4), TKOII
Not Ranked     

....and FE owners around the globe paused and looked to the heavens. I was wondering what that bright shining star was. Another FE is reborn. Congratulations!

"There are 10 types of people out there....the ones that understand binary and the zeros that don't."
Old 12-31-2003, 08:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Talking

Thanks joea,

Old 12-31-2003, 09:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

Congrats Mike.

I have been following your thread but I didn't have anything to suggest beyond our other members comments. I too have a 428 CJ with a toploader and 3.50 gears. However, my cam is a solid lifter Crane 572 lift and 2.32 dur and it does just fine on the street. It also does pretty good at the track. I just finished pulling off my 2 X 4 setup and putting a single "original" Cobra alum 4 bbl manifold back on last night. I won't be able to fire mine up until I receive my rear manifold vent from Enzo possibly today or Friday.

I know the sound you were describing and it is like nothing else. What a wonderful rumpty rump an FE engine makes. Have fun and be safe.

Clois Harlan

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 12-31-2003, 09:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Talking

Oh, I'll be safe. I think after hearing that FE, I'm scared Sh!tless! As far as the problem with starting, it seems that is always the simple things that hold us back.

--Mike
Old 12-31-2003, 11:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Crendon, windsor 408 stroker, tremec. Also GSX008
Not Ranked     

Oh $hit - another Lucas foul up. I am embarrased.
Old 01-12-2004, 06:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 428PI Toploader
Not Ranked     

never mind

Last edited by Need For Speed; 01-12-2004 at 07:10 PM..
Old 01-12-2004, 08:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Mike,
Glad you found it. Here's a similar story for you with same symptoms:
After a short in the wiring under the dash of my truck caused a little smoke it seemed to have the same problems. When trying to find the problem I was using a remote starter switch under the hood. All seemed well until I tried to start it from the dash. Figured a wire fried somewhere but I couldn't find it. Replaced the whole harness with a new painless unit and had the same problem. Replaced the switch and all was well in the world.
Old 01-14-2004, 08:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

i get goosebumbs thinking about the first time an engine is started up, especially an FE. congrats.
Old 01-14-2004, 08:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique, 427SO, it runs
Not Ranked     

Congrats......

Why didn't Lucas make vacuum cleaners? It would have been the only product they made that didn't suck.
Old 01-14-2004, 09:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

--Mike
Old 01-15-2004, 05:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SCJ429 & FE406
Not Ranked     
Default ´68 428FE

Hi:

It sounds like either of two problems: 1. Electrical and 2. Vacuum leak.

The electrical problem sounds like you are getting electric power to the coil only while the ignition switch is turned to "start". That means you have a wiring problem where you are not getting any power to the ignition coil during regular "on" on the ign. switch. So you need to check all the connections and routing to and from the MSD box.

The second problem sounds almost like there is a plug missing from one of the port openings on the intake manifold, leaving you with a mixture that will not fire. Check all plugs and hoses on the manifild and on the back of the carburetor base. You may not have sufficient vacuum to fire the engine.
Old 01-15-2004, 07:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks Mr427,
We found the problem earlier. Turned out to be a bad (internally shorted) Lucas ignition switch. Good suggestions though.

--Mike

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: