Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2004, 03:16 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Question 1966 427 ALLOY engine??

The Australian Motor Sports magazine (Jan. 1966) quotes Ken Miles (in Australia for the Tourist Trophy Race) as stating his competition Cobra (the one he was running in Australia at the time) was essentally the same as the street car Cobra with the exception of an "ALLOY" engine. The AMS magazine referred to THAT Cobra as 427 "race" model.

The car broke the rear suspension on the 34th lap of something like 85 so was a disappointing DNF.

Question: I recall the very early alloy 390 in 1964-5(?) as used in the "Turd". But I DON'T recall refference to a 427 alloy block in 1965-66.

What say you?

Ernie

Last edited by Excaliber; 02-01-2004 at 03:18 PM..
Old 02-01-2004, 04:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Aluminum SPF #SPA0001 ,round tube frame, with a shelby 484 CID AL engine,68 GT 500 KR , 4 spd with factory air
Not Ranked     

Not that an alloy 427 was ever made , but I dont think it ever made it to a cobra , lots expermental drag racing parts were being developed at that time ,not only by Ford,holman & moody for one.
Tout
Old 02-01-2004, 05:15 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I hear you Tout! It would be news to me.

How about a "time line" check:
The magazine article was published in January 1966. So what month and year would the Tourist Trophy Race be run? Perhaps Oct, Nov or Dec 1965? Even earlier?

WAS Ken Miles in fact running an alloy 390 at that time? PERHAPS the magazine was "confused" about what K. Miles really said? Perhaps K. Miles DID make reference to the alloy 390 and the magazine assumed that he talking about the 427 engine in his car at the race?

'Cause you know, you can ALWAYS believe an article in a magazine.

Ernie
Old 02-01-2004, 06:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Aluminum SPF #SPA0001 ,round tube frame, with a shelby 484 CID AL engine,68 GT 500 KR , 4 spd with factory air
Not Ranked     

I believe the alloy 390 only ran one race and had an engine failure
Tout
Old 02-01-2004, 06:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The car ran extreamly well until the engine died, in those days engines were developed for drag racing and not really long endurance racing. Even though the car ran well,the BB cobras were history ,as Ford was pushing the GT40.
Tout
Old 02-01-2004, 08:01 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by Excaliber

How about a "time line" check:
The magazine article was published in January 1966. So what month and year would the Tourist Trophy Race be run? Perhaps Oct, Nov or Dec 1965? Even earlier?

WAS Ken Miles in fact running an alloy 390 at that time? PERHAPS the magazine was "confused" about what K. Miles really said? Perhaps K. Miles DID make reference to the alloy 390 and the magazine assumed that he talking about the 427 engine in his car at the race?
The TT race that Ken Miles ran in, driving CX3002, was the Australian Tourist Trophy race at Lakeside International Raceway in November of 1965.

We discussed that race and posted some pics
back in April.

As this was the first factory-owned 427 Comp car, in discussing the engine, they may have been referring to it as a "lightweight" engine. Not alloy block, but alum heads and "lite" magnesium and alloy engine parts.
Old 02-02-2004, 12:36 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Australia Motor Sports writer riding with Miles

Ah, thats what the reference must have been to! Light weight components on the steel block!

A good read going back and checking the old thread about the TT race, thanks Ron.

..... I wonder if the car today has similiar or same light weight engine???

Ernie

The "writer": No helmet, no seat belt and no brains?

Last edited by Excaliber; 09-17-2008 at 06:46 PM..
Old 02-02-2004, 06:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Previous ERA owner on break
Not Ranked     

One of my Cobra books has a little blurb on the introduction of the 427 prototype at the Nassau race in (I believe) January 1965. The writeup states that the engine was a " high performance aluminum block 390". Perhaps that's the rig to which you refer?

The article contains one of my favorite photos. It's looking down the frontstretch from a slightly elevated position, and shows the cars coming at the camera with the Cobra about to enter Turn 1 and the two Grand Sport Corvettes just emerging from the turn at the far end of the straight. There's about a quarter mile of distance between the Cobra and the two Grand Sports. The caption reads "End of Lap 1." Unfortunately, the car DNF but sufficiently impressed those present with its potential.
Old 02-02-2004, 06:12 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by chopper

One of my Cobra books has a little blurb on the introduction of the 427 prototype at the Nassau race in (I believe) January 1965. The writeup states that the engine was a " high performance aluminum block 390". Perhaps that's the rig to which you refer?
Chopper...
that was CSX2196 (the flip-top) at Nassau (12/64) with the 390.