Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2004, 07:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default 428 build

Hello, I built my FE 2 years ago for my 68 mustang GT. It's actually a 419ci. I started with the factory 390 hipo and put a 428cj crank and rods in it. I bored it .040 over and ordered new pistons. This made 419ci. I used the Edlebrock heads and a Blue Thunder dual plane medium riser intake and a 750 Demon carb. I port matched the heads and intake and cleaned up the head ports. I used a cam with 232deg @50 intake and 236deg exhaust with .565 lift on both with a 108 centerline. I also used a new shaft roller rocker system, and of course headers. This combo made 460HP and 485ftlbs of torque. With a Tremec TKO 5-speed and 3.91 rear gears this car will really move. And cruise rpm at 70mph is 2500rpm. With 3.50 rear gears the cruise rpm at 70 is 2100rpm. The cam comes on really hard at 2500 to 6000rpm, but it's a little weak from idle to 2500rpm. That's why I went with a 3.91 rear gear. If your centerline is a 110 or a 112 this will help the lower end, but it won't come on as hard. Hope this helps, Greg
Old 04-13-2004, 02:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: No cobra but 1972 Ford F-100 w/390 428 close to ready
Not Ranked     

You guys have really been a lot of help. It seems like the collective thoughts of everybody is to keep the duration at about 230 at .050 or lower. That is what I have been thinking too. That has been about my limit ever since I have been thinking about a cam. I want the big horsepower but I don't want to sacrifice too much low end to get it. Once again thanks everybody for the suggestions and don't be afraid to give me more. I'm enjoying everybody's input no matter how large or small it is.
Old 04-23-2004, 08:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here's another question I have for you guys. I'm kind of looking at two different Comp Cam grinds and was wondering for an opinion on what might be better. One is the XE274 with 230 on the intake and 236 on the exhaust. 0.562 lift on intake and 0.565 on the exhaust. The other one I am looking at is the 280H with 230 at both intake and exhaust and 0.53 lift on both intake and exhaust. What do you guys think? Right now I'm leaning toward the XE274 with the split duration. The greater duration on the exhaust side might really help out. Anyway tell me what you think.
Old 04-26-2004, 12:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

no_dice6, I have used Comp Cams 260H, 268H, 270H and 280H, but not any of the Extreme energy cams. If you use the XE-274, let me know how you like it. I am especially interested in the low end torque, since it is advertised as mid-range power. My son has been looking at that cam for his 68' Torino. I trust you will be using a compatible valve spring for the .565 lift? Also check valve to piston clearance. Let me know - Good Luck!

GT-347
www.forddragteam.com
Old 04-26-2004, 01:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'm sure the valve spring will be compatible as I have the Edelbrock Performer RPM heads and they are supposed to be compatible for up to 0.600 lift. The valve to piston clearance is one thing I'm not sure of. Maybe somebody else out there has done this combination and can enlighten us. GT-347 out of all of those cams that you have run, what one did you feel was the best. I assume the 280H since that is what you have now but how did the others compare?
Old 04-27-2004, 12:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

For the most power and still having good street manners, the Comp 280H, as long as you have a stall converter or manual transmission. With a stock convertor the Comp 268H works best. Even though Comp says that their 270H is the largest you can go with a stock convertor, I disagree, their smaller Comp 268H in my opinion has the best street manners with a STOCK converter. The 270 tugs a bit more on the car at a stop light.

If I remember correctly, you have a manual tran? If so, you will love the 280H. It pulls from the low end up. A great power band.

The thing I detest about many cams bigger than 280, is that you have to really be cranking before they begin to make power, and by that time your already well over most posted speed limits.
Old 04-28-2004, 12:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I do have a manual transmission so I'm not worried about converters or that sort of thing. I don't want anything over about 230 duration on the intake at 0.050. I think it would be just way too much. This pickup might see the strip every once in awhile but its main intention is as a hot street vehicle. It's not my main daily driver vehicle. Well like I've said before, I'm seriously thinking about either the 280H or the XE274. I think I might give the Comp tech line a call and see what their recommendation is. I'll let you know what I find out.