Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-21-2004, 02:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #375 427 S/C - 428FE - Toploader - 1968 AMX 390 Go Pack 4 Speed - My Daily Driver is a 2004 Crossfire
Send a message via AIM to REDSC400
Not Ranked     
Default March Performance Pulleys for FE

Hi Guys:

I have been toying with the idea of replacing my current 428 pulleys with the March Performance pulleys. My current pulleys are dark brown adonized billet pulleys as typical from DCE. At present here are the outside (outer edge of Pulley) diameters of my current 3 pulley set.

Crank 3 bolt, one grove - 6" (fits outside of damper)
Water Pump, 4 bolt one grove - 7" (has some Moroso shims)
Alternator, One nut one grove - 2 11/16"

From the looks of my pulley set it is an underdrive (read large) waterpump set, thus maximizing HP at the expense of lower water flow. I am putting ~420 HP at the rear wheels on a chasis dyno with my current setup.

Now, it appears MARCH has two sets of pulleys...

the 1910 Set (Common) which is their "Performance Set" at 5 1/2" crank 6 3/4" water pump and 2 11/16" alternator.

March also has a less common (read special order) 1905 set designed for higher water flow with all pulleys equal with the exception of the water pump pulley, it being only 6" on the 1905 for faster water pump speeds and thus a loss of HP to drive the water pump. I think I would like this set to keep the engine cooler? Your thoughts on this?

Does anyone have experience with either of these two sets of pulleys?

Also, is the diameter that March gives the Outside diameter or the inside grove diameter?

Thanks in Advance.

A car can massage organs which no masseur can reach. It is the one remedy for the disorders of the great sympathetic nervous system. Jean Cocteau 1889-1963, French Author, Filmmaker

Last edited by REDSC400; 03-21-2004 at 02:55 PM..
Old 03-21-2004, 03:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #629, BBM Side Oiler Block, 482ci, Richmond 5 speed
Not Ranked     

I'm running the standard 1910 set. I don't see a need to go with the 1905 set unless you're having an overheating problem and you really need that extra waterflow.

The diameter that March specifies is the outside diameter.

Chris
Old 03-21-2004, 03:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #375 427 S/C - 428FE - Toploader - 1968 AMX 390 Go Pack 4 Speed - My Daily Driver is a 2004 Crossfire
Not Ranked     

Chris:
Thanks so much for the feedback on the 1910 set, also the clarification of the March size being the OD.

Did your pulleys line up well or did you have to deploy any shims to align the V groves?

Thanks.

A car can massage organs which no masseur can reach. It is the one remedy for the disorders of the great sympathetic nervous system. Jean Cocteau 1889-1963, French Author, Filmmaker
Old 03-21-2004, 03:59 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Original ERA 427sc, Powered by Gessford
Not Ranked     

Art-
I have the 1910s also. They look great and have had no problem at all.

The grooves on the waterpump and crank pulley lined up perfectly, but I think I had to shim out the alternator slightly (maybe one washer?) to get the alternator to line up correctly.

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."
Old 03-21-2004, 04:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Chaplin, I think I will order them from Jeg's tomorrow.
BTW, Chaplin, do you have a turkey pan on your carb? If so how is it running?

Old 03-21-2004, 07:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #676, 428SCJ (2x4), TKOII
Not Ranked     

Isn't the standard set underdrive? I have them...I believe they are. THis would mean less flow than stock pulleys

"There are 10 types of people out there....the ones that understand binary and the zeros that don't."

Last edited by joea; 03-21-2004 at 07:32 PM..
Old 03-21-2004, 07:26 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Art-
At the moment, I don't have the turkey pan on. I took it off becuase I was doing a lot of carb tuning and it is impossible to play with the carb with the pan on. Then I decided to get a new carb, which I put on a couple weeks ago, and have left the turkey pan off b/c I'm going to take the car to a chassis dyno in a week or two to tune the new carb properly. Before I go to the chassis dyno I am going to buy a full size air filter and conduct a little experiment: I'm going to run it on the dyno with the current air filter (small K&N with xtreme top that fits in the turkey pan) and see what the power and air/fuel mixture is and then run it with a full size filter and what it does. My nose tells me that the motor runs much richer with the small filter, but the dyno will be the final judge.

I'll let you know how it goes. I do like the look of the turkey pan though.

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."
Old 03-22-2004, 03:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by joea

Isn't the standard set underdrive? I have them...I believe they are. THis would mean less flow than stock pulleys
You know, that is a darned good question Joe. I frankly do not know what the diameters were for a "standard" 3 pulley set for the 427 or 428 actually were.

In any case, it appears I was really under-driving my water pump based on the size pulley there. No concern though, never had an overheating problem. The engine is not running hot or lean.

Chaplin:

Yes, I agree with you trying to find out which air filter combo will give you the best volumetric efficiency. I would start with the big air filter sans pan, then switch to the small k&N sans pan, then the K&N with Xstream top sans pan then finally, pull the carb, put on the pan and do the K&N again.

Thanks for your information guys.
Appreciated Much.

Old 03-22-2004, 04:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427SO with big twin autolite inlines on custom intake, jag rear, top loader, wembeldon white, guardsmen blue stripes
Not Ranked     

I wanted to run twin belts and they did not (at that time) have a twin underdrive pulley for the ford alt., after a bit of research they said a buick underdrive alt. pulley would work. And it did.

Remember!, there's a huge difference between a 'parts' changer, and a mechanic.
Old 03-22-2004, 06:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #629, BBM Side Oiler Block, 482ci, Richmond 5 speed
Not Ranked     

Art, my pulleys all lined up great with no need to do any special shimming.

Chaplin, I'm dieing to hear the results of your dyno experiment. Be sure to keep us posted.

Chris
Old 03-23-2004, 10:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None yet, saving $ for a Kirkham. Buy a FE from me and I'll be that much closer.
Not Ranked     

Guys,

Joea is right, the 1910 set is the "performance" set from March, which is in fact an underdrive set. They do offer a "high water flow" set, which includes a different diameter water pump pulley to get back to the stock ratio. If you ordered from Summit or Jegs and got the ones that were in stock, you are currently underdriving the accessories. They do not stock the other set.

Thanks for looking and have a blessed day!
"For whosoever shall call upon the name of the LORD shall be saved."
Romans 10:13
Old 03-23-2004, 10:43 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Even with the 1910s, I have absolutely no problems with the motor running hot. I run a 180 t-stat, and I don't think my water temp has ever gone over 190.

Old 03-23-2004, 12:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Guys, I just ordered the 1910 set from Jegs yesterday along with a set of shims just in case I had to do some alignment adjustments. I also ordeded a new regulator-less (external regulator) 80 Amp polished and chromed alternator as well. My current alternator is 12+ years old and even though it does work well, I figured that a refresh was due. I will keep it as a spare (funny how those spares accumulate eh?)

After I get the pulleys installed with the new alternator, I think I will tackle the turkey pan installation.