Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2004, 08:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via AIM to Boomer427
Not Ranked     
Default 427 Engine

Does anybody have a complete list of every engine part on a 427? I am restoring a mustang and want to build my own engine but dont really know where to start, so i figured i would get the list first. Thank you.
Old 04-01-2004, 08:50 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

...errr. ..I am going to put this in the FE Forum, instead of the 429/460 forum.

God forbid you get the wrong parts list.

Ron
ClubCobra Moderator
Old 04-02-2004, 05:06 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates, Genesis 427 S/O
Not Ranked     

Boomer,

Which 427 do you have? Sieoiler, topoiler, marine...

Chris-
slithering
Old 04-02-2004, 06:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Previous ERA owner on break
Not Ranked     

Boomer:

Get a copy of Steve Christ's book "How to Rebuild Your Big-Block Ford". It has all of the appropriate parts and numbers for all FE series engines, along with complete instructions on the entire rebuild procedure. His book is sort of considered the bible on all things FE and can be bought at just about any speed shop. Loper's here in Mesa has them on their book rack.

I am a bit curious, though. I didn't know any Mustangs (other than pure racing units) came with 427s. I thought they were all 428CJs and SCJs. The parts for 427s are relatively easy to find, except for the blocks, which have become very scarce. The last I'd heard, bare 427 blocks were going for about $4 grand. Are you sure you have a 427 block?
Old 04-02-2004, 01:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: HM-2027 / 427 SO
Not Ranked     

The Gessford site has the numbers and diagrams you need. Look for the link on the website. It has info and numbers on both the 427 and 428. Very nice. G.
Old 04-03-2004, 09:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: -Sold- Contemporary 427S/C # CCX-3152 1966 427 Med Rise Side Oiler, 8v 3.54:1 Salisbury IRS, Koni's.. (Now I'm riding Harleys)
Not Ranked     

www.gessford.com tons of original documents on file there. The problem is 40 year old part numbers mean nothing and if they did you would want a newer version of the original part anyway.

That you posted this originally in the 385 forum suggests you may want to let someone else go looking for parts for you. give George Anderson a call at gessford.

A man that is young in years, may be old in hours, if he have lost no time. But that happeneth rarely. Generally, youth is like the first cogitations, not so wise as the second. For there is a youth in thoughts, as well as in ages... Sir Francis Bacon (1561-1626)
Old 04-05-2004, 07:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 90% of a 428 friggin SCJ Engine!
Not Ranked     
Default $4000?

If you know of a 427 block for $4000, let me know. I can make at least $2000 more selling it on e-bay. Typically go for $6000 now.

I have a 428 SCJ. Anybody know what the market price for one of those blocks is now?

Mike
Old 04-05-2004, 09:07 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Boomer...
get the book mentioned above first....
Then
Start here....page 19

Ford Muscle Story

Ford Illustrated Parts Book

Ford FE Block Info

Ford Performance Guide
Old 04-05-2004, 10:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: What Cobra?
Send a message via Yahoo to Turk
Not Ranked     

George Anderson has a 427 Side Oiler Block that belongs to me that is NOS, that is for sale. Anyone interested, give him a call.

TURK
Old 04-06-2004, 10:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX 4766 (Vegas Built) with 482 Aluminum Pond motor
Not Ranked     

Mike,

What planet are you living on? 6000.00 for a 427 block!!! Hell, you can buy a 427 Shelby Aluminum block for 5500.00. You can get a new Gen block for 3500-4000 dollars. Your SCJ Block is worth about 1000 dollars!

Morgan
Old 04-06-2004, 11:34 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

SO,,,,, once more I ask:
Whats the deal with this complete 427 side oiler in Texas that STILL hasn't sold for $8,000?

427 Side Oiler Ready to go

Ernie
Old 04-07-2004, 05:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Morgan,

Same planet you live on. Check e-bay on a regular basis and see for yourself. Genis is new, not yet proven, shelby block is cool no doubt, but an original 427 SO, now that is cause for bragging rights. Anyways, availabilty of original 427 SO blocks is very low, cost pressure is high, and they are not a commodity so no amount of "replacement" blocks will bring market price of 427 SO down.

Again...check e-bay.

Mike
Old 04-07-2004, 05:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Morgan, he's right. The only ebay SO block auction I participated in after a lengthy conversation with the owner resulted in me bailing at the $6,200 mark and it sold for 6,500. For pure performance I'd rather have a Shelby but for the real deal there is no substitute for the "original" (can't believe I said that!) block. As nice as the Genisis is - it is not original and having seen one up close I could tell the difference in about 5 seconds - but most people couldn't tell a SB from a BB but the owner knows!

The biggest problem with the 427 blocks of all oiling designs is not knowing what your getting until a complete inspection is done correctly which isn't always possible but this is also what drives up the price of truly verifiable "good" vintage blocks as well. If anything is going to drop it will be all the "other" blocks that offer an unlimited supply even if their 10 times better than the original - their not rarer!! JMHO
Old 04-07-2004, 12:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: HM-2027 / 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Bomelia, does your SCJ block have "super" stamped into it? If so you can get a good $$$$ for it. G.
Old 04-07-2004, 02:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hmmm, not sure about that. It is a service block. I hate to open this can of worms! Has all the webbing, 428 stamped in the water jacket, big "C" scratched on the end (sand scratch).

It is not for sale...I am building it up as we speak for my Cobra. I bought it in a fit of passion and paid a bit too much for it...but I am extremely happy with it.

Every now and again, I pick up parts at a steal, so that makes me feel better about it...just got a set of 30 over TRW pistons (with possibly the new rings) for $300.

Soon, I am going to post a picture of all my parts, before the build.

Mike
Old 04-07-2004, 04:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by Cracker

Morgan, he's right. The only ebay SO block auction I participated in after a lengthy conversation with the owner resulted in me bailing at the $6,200 mark and it sold for 6,500. For pure performance I'd rather have a Shelby but for the real deal there is no substitute for the "original" (can't believe I said that!) block. As nice as the Genisis is - it is not original and having seen one up close I could tell the difference in about 5 seconds - but most people couldn't tell a SB from a BB but the owner knows!

You consider ebay to be realistically priced?
You really need to get out amongst the real people and then see how much actual 427 blocks go for. Not through ebay, or Gessford or anyone else who is brokering a deal and expecting a cut. As for the Genesis, you could tell the difference in 5 seconds, probably with the heads off, because the walls are so much thicker and the crossbolts are thicker as well. It's a better block all around, better than any 'original' save in a concours setting. Are you building a concours correct Cobra?

My opinion, sorry I disagree with yours.
Old 04-07-2004, 04:42 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Wouldn't have to be "concours" to be desirable to everyone. I am TOTALLY stoked my ERA has a 427 S.O.

I would have been happy with a 427 C.O., or even a 428, a 460 would have left me "bummed".

I think it is SO cool to be able to say, "I got a 427 S.O." End of story, no elaboration about how some of them came with a 428 or the 460 is better or whatever.

,,,,man I'm gonna cry when I blow that puppy up on a missed gear shift.
You KNOW I'll replace it with a "modern" block, and it won't be the same.
Old 04-07-2004, 06:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Sizzler - I think your dreaming of reindeers again - back to reality pal! Yes, to an extent, Ebay is a reflection of market conditions. I know I wasn't playing with fake money. Regarding the Genesis block - I believe I stated that on a modern performance build I'd rather have a newer version but am very happy with the 'ole Side-oiler nonetheless! AND NO, I don't need the engine disassembled to tell the difference that quickly and am thankful for that since it was one of my concerns when I first heard about the Genesis blocks.

SIZZLER - Never apologize for your opinion - even in cases when you’re wrong. Your question regarding the "concours" would be answered simply by looking at my scoop. Contact me when in the Atlanta area sometime - I promise my old boat anchor is faster than your SLIEGH.
Old 04-07-2004, 08:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sizzler & RedCSX1,

What kind of engine do you have? Maybe I missed where you mentioned it... Just curious.

Mike
Old 04-07-2004, 11:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX 4766 (Vegas Built) with 482 Aluminum Pond motor
Not Ranked     
Cool Mike, Check my photo!

Mike,

After spending a long day at work and traveling home. I stopped at Doug Garifo's Shop (Precision Oil Pumps) picked up a his engine hoist. Had to walk around a Gen block he had sitting on a engine stand. The reason for the engine hoist is that I have time scheduled at a Dyno in Stockton CA. The motor going on the Dyno is a 63 427 center oiler that Doug and I built. I spent the rest of the night taking care of a few last minute details like installing wires and MSD Distributor. I will post pictures and update everyone hopefully Friday night. Man got my legs and finger crossed tight that everything goes well. A friend of mine Phil Featherson is going to be there to help me out. The race shop sponsors his 64 Thunderbolt (yeah its real).

Cracker, I totally respect your opinion, but as you said finding one that has not been sleaved or is in need of sleaving and a lot of work is tough. I would chose a Shelby Block over a 427 side oiler any day of the week, but hey its just me. Of course many people will say that a center oiler is actually a better block than the S.O. Glad we live in a free country so we can all pick the one we want.

Morgan