Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2004, 03:51 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 S.O. Dual Quad / Cobra undecided
Not Ranked     
Default found: 427so block and components

I found a 427so block, #C7AE-A bored .30 over. I believe this block is a '67.
I plan on a magnaflux test. Can you guys give me some recomendations on what I need to look for to make sure this is a healthy side-oiler?
Everything else is there, heads, cam, crank, intake maniflod for a dual quad, Lemans rods, valve train. Will the use of original parts to the block enhance the overall engine value?
I think I might finally go for it, the price is too good to pass up. Owner is retired machinist who has decided to move some engine goods he has been holding for "too long" as he puts it.
Opinions? Thoughts? All input appreciated.

Mark
Old 04-10-2004, 05:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

It was nice talking with you last week! Contrary to what some might say around here - there's nothing exactly liike an original side-oiler, go for it! Just curious since we don't know this fella - what's the price?
Old 04-10-2004, 06:17 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Cracker, good to hear from you. For a complete original component 427ci engine he wants six grand. He has quite a few 427 blocks as well as some 428's.
An original 427so block, with original factory bore, he is asking $2900. He can also supply all the necessary components to build this out as an original engine if desired.
He also has a completely assembled engine recently overhauled with Lemans rods, edelbrock performer heads, steel crank, forged pistons etc. etc., asking price for that is $6500. I'm taking my questions, manuals, and checkbook back to his shop on Monday and hopefully I will be able swing a deal.
He's got a nice machine shop set up behind his house and I am considering him to build, balance and blueprint a short block for me. His shop is spotless, he is an "older" gentleman, (h*ll, I'm fifty next week) and quite meticulous about his work, it's easy to see. I'm still looking real hard at a Weber set up to finish off the induction end of this mill. We'll see how the cost factor on the bottom end comes out, thanks for the encouragement.

Mark
Old 04-10-2004, 06:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Johnspeed,408W,Tremec 600 roadrace, Liquid Yellow w/Black stripes
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Mark,
Sounds like a good deal!! I like your idea about the webers too. Hope the engine will help make your dreams come true!
PS. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!
Old 04-10-2004, 07:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique, 427SO, it runs
Not Ranked     

His name wouldn't be John Turner would it? Sounds a lot like the guy who built my side-oiler, which has been flawless.
Old 04-10-2004, 07:37 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Terrible Ted13,
Thanks much for the kind thoughts and wishes. This is gonna be fun.
Mark
Old 04-10-2004, 07:44 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

clayfoushee,
Nope, names not Turner. Where in Annapolis are you located? I've got family in southern Annapolis on the bay, about three miles by water south of the Naval Academy. I have more family on St. Michaels island also. Some beautiful old ships up your way.
Old 04-10-2004, 08:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: What Cobra?
Send a message via Yahoo to Turk
Not Ranked     

Guys,
I caution you to to do due dilligence.
There hasn't been a Standard Bore Side Oiler Block for $2900.00 available for few years!!!

TURK
Old 04-10-2004, 09:11 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Turk,
I will stay alert.
I saw the block sitting on a wood platform wrapped in oil paper, owner said he would be happy to put a mic on it for me. If you have a standard bore block do you bore it for the extra HP or do you find the HP in other ways?
Old 04-11-2004, 06:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: What Cobra?
Send a message via Yahoo to Turk
Not Ranked     

Considering std.bore Side Oiler blocks have sold upwards of $5000.00 on EBay etc. and also considering 30 over is the highest recommended bore, I for one would not bore it any more than absolutely necessary.

Talk to your engine builder, because some of these std. bore blocks due to numerous imperfections end up getting bored beyond std. bore just to clean up due to surface rust etc.

I bought a NOS Std. bore 427 Side Oiler Block, we ended up sleeving one cylinder in order NOT to bore it any more than necessay.

Good luck.

TURK
Old 04-11-2004, 08:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique, 427SO, it runs
Not Ranked     

Randy,

I agree with Turk, but you never know what you might find in someone's backyard.

BTW, I'm on the South River in Annapolis just off the Chesapeake Bay about the same distance from the Naval Academy that you described.
Old 04-12-2004, 12:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: HM-2027 / 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Wow that's a great find and hope it all works out for you. Good luck, G.