Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-26-2004, 08:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby American CSX 4241 - authentically built
Not Ranked     
Default Sidewinder Intake

Ok, let me start off by saying that I did a pretty detailed search on this subject (don't want the search police mad at me), and read about 20 or so posts concerning the single 4 barrell intakes.

I am building my car to be a an S/C clone. I'm trying to use the proper parts, for the proper look.

In reading all the search posts, this is what I concluded:

- none of the Cobra "experts" agree on what is correct. Some say 2x4, some say 1x4 with turkey pan. I've seen original cars both ways, and I like the 1x4, so that's what I'm doing.

- the REAL correct 65-66 1x4 intake was magnesium, with no casting number, and I'll probably never find one.

- the Sidewinder intake came on "later" 427s, but that doesn't make sense to me. The "later" cars were supposed to have 428s, and all the 428 cars I've seen had the CJ intake, with no oil fill tube.

- some say the Sidewinder is great for a 450-500 hp FE and some say it sucks.

Now based on the fact that I want a "correct" type 1x4 intake, and the Sidewinder seems to be a widely accepted correct intake, I think that's what I wnat to get.

So my question is what is a proper part number for the Sidewinder? I'm looking at a few right now, but I am being given part numbers with different suffixes. Or maybe does anyone here have one they want to sell?

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

See my car at CSXinfo.net here >> CSX 4241
Old 06-26-2004, 08:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold 3047 & 3002 in 2012
Not Ranked     
Default Sidewinder?

So you really want to only drive in circles in order to feed all the cylinders evenly? That's what it was designed for. Truly just a legendary buzz word as opposed to functionality. Part numbers? Some C6...... or C7.......and some had none. I would look for a no part number straight up 4 barrel. Try Perogie. They are expensive but, they usually have what you want.
PS. If you are cloning, are you aware that the hole in the hood was actually offset 1" to compensate for the motor not being dead center of the hood? The sidewinder brought it back dead center but had the unequal length runners.

www.competitionlife.com

"Hurry Up And Live"
Old 06-27-2004, 04:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Power Surge - You have mail.
Old 06-27-2004, 05:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby American CSX 4241 - authentically built
Not Ranked     

Steve, I have noticed your dislike for the Sidewinder in other posts. Let me as you this... I currently have an intake I bought off ebay already. It was advertised as a 428 hi po intake, so like a dumbass I bought it without doing my homework. It turned out to be a 63-64 hi-po low rise intake, most likely from a 406 or 427 Galaxie I have been told. Do you think this intake I have is closer to being correct than going with the Sidewinder? I was told I could use it and just port match it to the Edelbrock heads I plan to use. And if not, how do you identify one of the right MR intakes if it has no part number? Thanks.

See my car at CSXinfo.net here >> CSX 4241
Old 06-27-2004, 06:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: HM-2027 / 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Sal I really like the sidewinder intakes and had a few of them years back. I'd say a sidewinder or MR would be more correct than the lowriser you now have. But the lowriser is still nice. I'm sure you know about the carb offset and part numbers as Steve mentioned above. Some came with "Shelby" and "Cobra" cast into them also. I had a "Shelby" one on my GT500. Perogies had/have one that was ok but had few helicoils.The nice ones I've seen on epay have gone for over $700++ almost new in great shape. I've seen several others in great shape (almost new) for $500-600++ so shop around. I have a link or two I'll post later (need to find) that will help you ID these if your interested. G.
Old 06-27-2004, 08:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000, 427
Not Ranked     

I don't know the casting #'s, probably best to contact somebody like perogie ? www.perogie.com for the numbers. I just looked for the off set of the carburetor to the driver's side, when I bought mine. On ebay I think they usually go for between $400 - 700 depending upon condition.

Supposidly, the advantage of the sidewinder is that it did have equal length runners, as opposed to other single four intakes which didn't.

Sidewinder intakes that have no wording on them have a solid plenum divider. The one's with SHELBY on them have a notched plenum, for a little higher rpm power. Ive only seen one with COBRA on it, and I can't remember any specifics about it if it differed from the other two. The runners are large, larger than the edelbrock performer, and performed rpm. The only intake that may be better is the blue thunder single four, with large runners.

With the turkey pan on, you can't read the writing in the intake, as mine is the SHELBY version. It's a great intake. Close to the best performance potential from a dual plane intake out there.
"After jumping into an early lead, Miles pitted for no reason. He let the entire field go by before re-entering the race. The crowd was jumping up and down as he stunned the Chevrolet drivers by easily passing the entire field to finish second behind MacDonald's other team Cobra. The Corvette people were completely demoralized."