Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-27-2004, 05:04 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Smile Re small oil drip

I have a small oildrip in my 428SJC that has been there from when I bought the car new. After a major rebuild and everything it is still there. I have tried every method I know of to trace the source and no luck. Drip falls from the clutch bracket mounting which is behind and above any oil bearing part of the engine. Also some right at the left side of the inspection plate which is also above the oil pan. This is being blown back by the wind and the only other place I have ever found a wet spot weas on the 4th oil pan bolt on the left side, but nothing around it is even damp. Block is very clean and I can't find even a light film of oil anywhere on it and the leak is always on the left or drivers side. I first suspected it may be out of the adapter for the oil cooler but that is bone dry. Just leaks a drop or so a day for a week after I drive it. And always from the two spots mentioned above. The oil gets in behind the bracket and cover and takes time to all seep out. Not a big thing, but I think I have heard of a dye that you can put in the oil to look for this kind of minnute leak. If so, will it work with the Mobil 1 Synthetic 15/50 racing oil? Or did I just imagine that I have heard of such a dye? thanks for any help or ideas.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 06-27-2004, 07:30 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #684, 428 FE, TKO600
Not Ranked     

Ron:
Short version, yes, there are tracing dyes made for use with engine oil. A web sight that talks about it is:http://autorepair.about.com/library/...aa050804b.htm.
One of the problems with an under engine leak is the varied air currents that are running around down there. It makes it hard to trace the leak because the oil is blown all over the place. A leak from the timing case cover will end up with traces on the starter type of thing.
A pain in the butt and time consuming but about the only sure way to trace it is to completely clean the bottom of the engine and undercarriage and then put the car up on stands or a lift. Run the car and then shut it off and wait for the leak to reappear. Clean paper under the car will help show up the leak if it drips from the source, just look above the spot.
DonC
Old 06-27-2004, 07:41 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Don,

Thanks for the answer. The bottom end and undercarriage are clean enough to eat off of and the oil just won't even show on it. I have to take my finger and run it along to find any oil film. The air currents are what makes this one so hard to find as the drips come from behind the engine and up where oil has blown into the bracket. I have tried running it and watching with no luck at all. I do know for certain that it is on the left or drivers side and is a very small leak. I just had the engine rebuilt a month ago and had hoped that would stop it as it has had a small drip ever since I bought the car in 69 brand new. Not enough to worry about, but just something that I would like to pin down for my own knowledge. I talked to the engine builder and he said call him next Wednesday and if he has his lift free I can bring the car down and we will put it up on the lift and see if we can spot anything. The darn car even dripped oil while the engine was out of it at the builders. Must have generated it's own supply during that time.

Ron

Old 06-27-2004, 07:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

After ten years of fixing oil leaks for FoMoCo I have a little insight.
Look at the rear of the intake manifold, the valve cover gasket and the area where the intake and cylinder head join.
These are common FE oil leak areas.
HTH,
--Mike
Old 06-27-2004, 10:19 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 377 - 428SCJ
Not Ranked     
Default Re small oil drip

SFfiredog,
Man I am so hoping you are right. I have had a nagging leak that I do not want to be a rear main or any place requiring pulling the trans, clutch, flywheel.
I know it's not the valve covers, but if any of your other suggestions pans out I am going to be so glad to have read your post and definately the 1st, 2nd and 3rd rounds are on me.
Thanks
428SCJ
Old 06-28-2004, 04:46 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Question

SFFiredog,

That was one of the first places that I checked and since everything is very clean, I can't find even a film of oil anywhere around the corners or anywhere else. I ever put talcum powder which I have used to find small seeps before on both sides along the gasket and manifold and it is still as white as it was out of the can. The engine builder seems to think is is from up near the front and low down and he keeps talking about the oil cooler adapter. I do know for sure that it is ony on the drivers side as the right side has not dripped a single drip. I have twice found oil on the 4th pan bolt from the rear on the right side. But I think the wind currents put it there, so that would tend to indicate it must have came from in front of there. However I am almost temped to pull that bolt as it is the only one that ever has and oil on it and put some gasket maker on it and then put it back in. I am supposed to call my engine builder Wednesday and if he has his lift free I will drive it down there and we can get it up where we can really look, Trying to do it with it just on jack stands just doesn't give much room and especially since I have exhaust pipes, clutch linkage, and power steering ram all in that area, so trying to look when it is hot is almost impossible. If and when we locate this I will post it for the benefit of anyone else that may be looking for one.

Ron

Old 06-28-2004, 09:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Aluminum SPF #SPA0001 ,round tube frame, with a shelby 484 CID AL engine,68 GT 500 KR , 4 spd with factory air
Not Ranked     

Ron:
I just had the same problem, traced it to the steel type valve covers. They don't put enough pressure on the ends, and oil will seep out, I had to take off , clean all parts and use a sealant on both sides of the gasket, reinstall and don't over tighten.
Tout