Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2004, 10:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 148 with 427 SO
Not Ranked     
Default She's a smokin!

OK, I need some help in starting to track down some worsening exhaust smoking. I am going to change the oil, but it is only just about 2500 miles. This is a new car to me, so any help is appreciated. It has dual 4 barrels. runs smooth, well as smooth as a "built" engine runs. What should I be looking for? engine has about 15,000 miles

Thanks
Buzz
Old 07-05-2004, 11:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC # 571, 472 Shelby aluminum "stroker " CSX # 299 from Gessford, 48 IDA Weber carburetors from Jim Inglese
Not Ranked     
Smile

Buzz,

What type of exhaust smoking do you (or your car) have?

- black/brown ?
- blue ?
- white ?

Greetings, Walter

Walter

http://www.kreuchi-auto.ch
Old 07-06-2004, 03:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

definitely black/brown
Old 07-06-2004, 04:10 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Cobra
Not Ranked     

If it is Black/Brown, you have fuel/mixture problems.

How old are the carb(s)?

Might be time for an overhaul.

What a lovely way to spend a week. Pull the carberators off the Cobra and rebuild them. NOT!

Check your plugs and see if any are sooty. If the rear bank of plugs are sooty, the rear carb may need a look at. If the fronts, then the front carb. If it is just one or two, try a tune-up with new wires.

Oh heck. After you are completely frustrated, just give the car to me ( I'll just take it off your hands to save you from this headache ) LOL.

Just my View.
Old 07-07-2004, 05:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

Buzz,

Give me a call this weekend and maybe we can check it out. Sounds to me like you may have a fuel issue. Might just try to run some carb cleaner through your car today and see if it helps. If not Steve at Creitz Automotive is excellent at rebuilding carbs but he will bust your wallet for about $200.00 per carb.

By the way I saw you when you "BLEW" down 61st yesterday. I could here your Cobra rolling through the gears when I looked out my window to see you flying by. Why were you not working? It's not fair that you were goofing off yesterday.

Clois

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 07-07-2004, 06:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

If you're running very rich, monitor your oil closely to be sure it is not being diluted by fuel leaking past the rings. Gas in your oil can ruin your bearings.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 07-07-2004, 10:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Hey Clois!

You know I don't work At least not where / when there are any witnesses

And I am surprised you heard me blow through as I NEVER get the engine RPMs above about 2500

If you want to get together this weekend..that would be great. I appreciate all the help I can get. Let me know what time is good for you and we'll give it a shot. I have limited carb experience...so much appreciated

I see from pics of DVSF that Jay got his car rolling again...what did he have to do to get it running?

Buzz
Old 07-07-2004, 11:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Not Ranked     

Sorry Jay, I can't resist this.

Buzz,

Rumor has it from a VERY GOOD Source (Jay) his wheel fell off during a poker run because someone (not Jay or me) forgot to tighten his lug nuts after a brake inspection following the Tulsa event. I also heard that after closer inspection all four wheels where loose. Seems like there have been one or two other incidents but someone else can bring those up.

Clois

"Let's roll"

Old 07-07-2004, 04:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey, forgot to ask...what filter and oil are you running...? I need to change about now, but didn't have a filter. I think I have some mobile 1 out in the garage. It has Amsoil in it now. Maybe I will pick some up running around this week

Buzz
Old 07-08-2004, 05:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Buzz,

I am running Royal Purple Synthetic "Racing 41" and I use a reuseable System One oil filter. One of the best things I have ever put on the ole snake. Each time I change oil I get an idea of how much wear I have to the engine when I clean my stainless steel filter with CRC cleaner.

But if I wasn't running the System One I was advised to either run Motorcraft, K&Nm, or a WIX (same as NAPA). If you are running a Canton oil pan and I think you are, you will need 8 or 9 quarts oil.

Clois

"Let's roll"