Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2004, 06:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch build......a little every day.
Not Ranked     
Question fe oilpan selection ?

Hi ya'll
My 390 fe 425 hp is in the parts gathering stage and am looking for some advice on a 7-? qt pan. Canton, Shelby,etc Anyone have a preference ????
Thanks
Dave
Old 07-09-2004, 08:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: -Sold- Contemporary 427S/C # CCX-3152 1966 427 Med Rise Side Oiler, 8v 3.54:1 Salisbury IRS, Koni's.. (Now I'm riding Harleys)
Not Ranked     

A 9 quart Aviaid would be my choice www.aviaid.com just like ol carroll used.

A man that is young in years, may be old in hours, if he have lost no time. But that happeneth rarely. Generally, youth is like the first cogitations, not so wise as the second. For there is a youth in thoughts, as well as in ages... Sir Francis Bacon (1561-1626)
Old 07-09-2004, 08:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Michael
Yes I must agree. I just visited their site. Very impressive. Thanks for your imput.
Dave
Old 07-09-2004, 09:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF with 514 and tko
Not Ranked     

AVIAID
Old 07-09-2004, 10:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: -Sold- Contemporary 427S/C # CCX-3152 1966 427 Med Rise Side Oiler, 8v 3.54:1 Salisbury IRS, Koni's.. (Now I'm riding Harleys)
Not Ranked     

George Anderson at Gessford sells Aviaid for a really good price. www.gessford.com They are not inexpensive but he can save you a few bucks.

The FE pans also have oil return lines ala the dry sump 427 racing engines in the GT cars and the Coupes. Most people mistake these for dipstick holes. Gessford will plug them for you if you like for a few dollars more. I'm in California and I saved almost $100 even with the shipping.

A man that is young in years, may be old in hours, if he have lost no time. But that happeneth rarely. Generally, youth is like the first cogitations, not so wise as the second. For there is a youth in thoughts, as well as in ages... Sir Francis Bacon (1561-1626)
Old 07-09-2004, 10:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #676, 428SCJ (2x4), TKOII
Not Ranked     

Search the forums for "Armando" (ex Aviaid employee) ....he makes a copy of the pan. He does really nice work. It's probably 100 bucks cheaper than the Aviaid pan but you may have to wait a few weeks. He had mine and I picked it up immediately

"There are 10 types of people out there....the ones that understand binary and the zeros that don't."
Old 07-09-2004, 11:23 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I will be buying a pan also, from George because he's one of the good guys and a member of the club!

So why am I buying one? My current pan on my 427 is a large stock Ford pan used on trucks or Vans in the 60's. 9 qt capacity but with no baffling to speak of. I loose some oil pressure on tight turns and hard stops.
Old 07-10-2004, 06:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sounds like George and Armando are the people with the solution. Thanks. Will be making contact with them shortly. Got to get this darn counter top installed for the wife before I can get "permission" to order one. Gee, the things we go thru to get a cobra.
Dave
Old 07-10-2004, 08:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former Owner/Builder of KMP142 427 Sideoiler, Tunnel Wedge, Aluminum heads, etc.
Not Ranked     

I installed a Aviaid style pan made by Armando on my sideoiler a few years ago, and love it. The workmanship is superb, and there are a few subtle improvements over the Aviaid product. You simply can not go wrong.

Bud
Old 07-10-2004, 09:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4761, KCR Shelby Alloy 496,760hp
Send a message via AIM to misfit41
Not Ranked     

Any one have a way to contact "ARMANDO",thanks,Tim

"this whole Adult thing just isnt working for me "
Old 07-10-2004, 01:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former Owner/Builder of KMP142 427 Sideoiler, Tunnel Wedge, Aluminum heads, etc.
Not Ranked     

Armando Rodriguez

Armandos Racing Oil Pans
6225 Wilmington Ave
Los Angeles, CA 90001

323 588 7622

Bud
Old 07-10-2004, 01:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: era#671 Keith Craft Motor
Not Ranked     

Here is a pic of a 9QT ARMANDO pan
[img] http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/d...mage03-med.jpg[/img]
Old 07-10-2004, 09:14 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Dave...any of the above pans would be a great addition to your FE Cobra project....(Of Course I like the Real Deal 55410 from Aviaid with their original decals...but you do need a good pan like any of the above)
Make special note of the front depth on the pan you select...that 6 1/4" front depth is about all you can use and still have ground clearance. Look for both the front drain plug hole and a place for the oil temperature sending unit to go. The sump has four trap doors and you need to double check each one when you get your pan to ensure they move free and don't catch on one another when fully open.... The Pickup bracket that bolts to the pump needs to be checked with the crank rotated to ensure the flange is on correctly and not going to touch the counterweight on the crank. If you're going to run ARP studs in the block the rear main cap studs will stick up too far and cause you grief later on when you try to install the windage tray....so get short studs and mill the bolt bosses down so you can fit the tray correctly...
these are some images to give you an idea of the dimensions on all of these above mentioned pans....in general....

Aviaid Passenger Side View

Aviaid Front View

Aviaid Driver Side

Aviaid Driver Side

Aviaid Dip Stick and Puke Tank Return Plug

Modified Rear Main cap for Windage tray and ARP Short Studs

It's also a good idea to use pan studs and not bolts...such as the MRG 6318 kit.....and of course you'll need an additional pan gasket like the inexpensive Felpro OS11701C. These should give you some good ideas and some vision of how we do our motors.
George
P.S. even the best built pans may have a few holes that aren't in the right spot and may require a little TLC...so be patient..

Last edited by GEORGE ANDERSON; 07-10-2004 at 09:17 PM..
Old 07-13-2004, 07:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

George
Thanks for the Aviaid information. It was some great tips. You also have a great web site. Will be in touch.
Old 07-13-2004, 08:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Past owner ERA 146, ERA 694 in progress, 428 CJ, toploader
Not Ranked     

Here's Armando's web site for those interested in seeing his work.

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Flats/1624/