Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-20-2004, 05:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby American CSX 4241 - authentically built
Not Ranked     
Default FE Toploader Questions

Hey guys, I have a few toploader bellhousing questions concerning the FEs. What is the "correct" bellhousing casting for an original Cobra? Also, what "other" casting numbers can be used in place of it, and what's the clutch size I will need to be looking for? Any help would be appreciated!

Sal

See my car at CSXinfo.net here >> CSX 4241
Old 07-20-2004, 06:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000, 427
Not Ranked     

If you like your legs connected to your body, I wouldn't get an original cast iron bellhousing. Get a new blowproof bellhousing from George Anderson at Gessford Machine. The bellhousing probably needs to be notched for the passenger side frame rail, and George knows what needs to be done to it so it fits correctly. He's very reasonably priced as well, as I don't think you'll do much better,. I think he's a new Shelby dealer as well, so he should know. He'll set you up with a clutch as well.

www.gessford.com
"After jumping into an early lead, Miles pitted for no reason. He let the entire field go by before re-entering the race. The crowd was jumping up and down as he stunned the Chevrolet drivers by easily passing the entire field to finish second behind MacDonald's other team Cobra. The Corvette people were completely demoralized."
Old 07-20-2004, 07:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby American CSX 4241 - authentically built
Not Ranked     

Well, I really don't like the look of the Lakewood. I have one right now actually, from all the parts I was going to use for the T56 I was putting in my FFR. But with the CSX car I'd really like to use a proper bellhousing. Are clutch explosions common in these cars for some reason? I've had many stick cars over the years and never had an issue with it.

See my car at CSXinfo.net here >> CSX 4241
Old 07-20-2004, 07:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000, 427
Not Ranked     

Clutch explosions are not that common. and neither is being struck by lightning, but you won't find me standing next to a tree in a lightning storm.
"After jumping into an early lead, Miles pitted for no reason. He let the entire field go by before re-entering the race. The crowd was jumping up and down as he stunned the Chevrolet drivers by easily passing the entire field to finish second behind MacDonald's other team Cobra. The Corvette people were completely demoralized."
Old 07-20-2004, 08:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Past owner ERA 146, ERA 694 in progress, 428 CJ, toploader
Not Ranked     

I think several factors go into the decision on the scattershield. #1 is horsepower and driving style. If you plan on HP much above 425 AND plan to exercise that HP, street or track, get a scattershield.. If you plan a mild street-only motor with mild driving habits, a cast steel bellhousing may be OK.

#2 is component selection. 35-40 year old original parts such as flywheel, bolts and clutch beg for a scattershield, no matter what the HP or usage. All new everything may not.

Me....scattershield all the way. If you don't like the look, paint it black. LOL

John
Old 07-20-2004, 08:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Re: FE Toploader Questions

Quote:
Originally posted by Power Surge

Hey guys, I have a few toploader bellhousing questions concerning the FEs. What is the "correct" bellhousing casting for an original Cobra? Also, what "other" casting numbers can be used in place of it, and what's the clutch size I will need to be looking for? Any help would be appreciated!

Sal
Try Marge, I believe it is Alum. - Motorsports International in El Cajon ,CA 619-390-9080.
Old 07-20-2004, 11:04 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Interesting question. SO, did the original comp cars run a stock Ford bell housing or a scatter shield?

Drag race rules today require a scatter shield or "blanket" over the clutch if you go fast enough I would assume?

When I ran under 12 sec in my ERA I had to have (and have now bought):

Arm restraints, racing gloves and a nomex jacket. My roll bar was inspected and approved.