Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-28-2004, 08:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     
Default 427 Race info

I have a friend who has recently purchased a Nationally known Drag Racers inventory of 427 engines with a large inventory of exotic parts. Of the dozen or so engines blocks he bought a few of the blocks have had CEMENT POURED INTO THE WATER PORTS ABOUT HALF WAY UP THE CYLINDER WALL. Has anyone ever heard of this before? Randy tells me the cement provides stability around the cylinders and that it still allows coolant to move through the block.

I have never heard of such a thing. Are these blocks boat anchors now?

Clois

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 07-28-2004, 08:24 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Clois,

I never heard of that and I asked a couple of the local drag racers if they had and they said no. I suppose if you are just running the engine 1/4th mile and then cooling it down that is a possibility, but I don't think you could drive it that way very long. It will be interesting to see what some of the knowledgeable drag racers have to say about this.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 07-28-2004, 08:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I like Cobras, but I'm here for the FE stuff...
Not Ranked     
Default Hard Block

It's common to fill blocks this way for drag-race applications. Of course, the cooling is compromised. Doesn't mean they couldn't be used on the street (I know people who do it), but it's an unknown that would make me choose another block for my project.

Somebody with more experience might be able to tell you that the filled blocks definitely CAN'T be used in a streetcar, but I doubt anyone could tell you definitively that they won't overheat on the street. Wildcard.
Old 07-28-2004, 11:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Not Ranked     

I talked to an old drag racer here and he said they once did this and it helped the engine stay together. He also thought that the cement could be "COOKED OUT" in a oven after pulling all the freeze plugs.

I had just never heard of such a procedure. Personally, I would not be comfortable buying one of the blocks that had the cement treatment done to them.

Clois

"Let's roll"

Old 07-28-2004, 02:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates, Vette suspension, Baer 6P brakes, 540 cid Chevy, Haltech Fuel Injection
Not Ranked     

This practice is still very common with drag race motors. Modern racers use a product called HardBlok, among other products. I have heard of folks using partially filled blocks on the street, but I think you've got to try some out to determine how much fill you can get away with. Also if there is not enough fill, the results in cylinder wall stabilization will be minimal. Usually, this is considered a race-only mod.

See www.hardblok.com

The blocks you refer to are likely great for drag racing. May be OK for road racing. You could contact a reputable 427 builder to discuss how much block-fill is still streetable.

BTW, I doubt a cement-based product can be cooked out, but you could try it.

My $.02
Old 07-28-2004, 02:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: EM cobra, 450 inch sbc running a best ET of 9.14..so far..ALL MOTOR...approx 800 horse.............ERA with 482 FE..All Aluminum Engine
Send a message via Yahoo to Hotfingrs
Not Ranked     

I've never heard of anyone using cement in a block. My block is half full of the Hardblok. The Hardblok stabilizes the crank and bottom end. I drive on the street all the time, on the freeway engine stays at 170 with no fan, when I'm in the city, temp might hit 200 with the fan on....Don't see any need for it, if you're not turning some high RPM's
Old 07-28-2004, 04:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates, Vette suspension, Baer 6P brakes, 540 cid Chevy, Haltech Fuel Injection
Not Ranked     

Hotfingers,

Hardblok is mostly cement, with some Iron granules added to get the CTE to match the block better.

I suspect the filler in the blocks in question is similar, unless they were filled a long time ago, and then it might be just cement (?). If they've been run that way and the filler is not cracking away from the walls, its probably OK.
Old 07-29-2004, 05:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Son of a Gun,

I seem to learn something new every day. I had never heard of this procedure.

Clois

"Let's roll"

Old 07-30-2004, 08:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: -Sold- Contemporary 427S/C # CCX-3152 1966 427 Med Rise Side Oiler, 8v 3.54:1 Salisbury IRS, Koni's.. (Now I'm riding Harleys)
Not Ranked     

A good vinegar soak will eat the cement paste. It is hard to get out but it can be done.

A man that is young in years, may be old in hours, if he have lost no time. But that happeneth rarely. Generally, youth is like the first cogitations, not so wise as the second. For there is a youth in thoughts, as well as in ages... Sir Francis Bacon (1561-1626)
Old 07-30-2004, 08:47 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I've heard of it many times, but never actually seen it. Seems to me the last person I heard make reference to it was DV, Double Venom. He is a drag racer after all.
Old 07-31-2004, 08:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: made mine from molds taken off an original, 302/ 351 heads hand made intake drysump oil system, and lots of nitrous.
Send a message via AIM to griffinzein Send a message via Yahoo to griffinzein
Not Ranked     

filling blocks is common practice where im from. a friend of mine has created what he call his secret mix, its a compound that i wanna get my hands on, it allows complete cooling.he wont tell anyone what it is. i think hes just scaming, i think mabey he filled the block a little with water then put wax in on the water and so on untill the had the block layered then poured the water out after the wax cooled, filled then poured the hardblock in and heated it and melted the wax out allowin quasi cooling tubes to be formed in the hardblock. just my 2 cents, and i wouldnt run a half filled block on the street.
Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer inwaht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?
Old 08-01-2004, 03:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Clois There was an article in Hot Rod or Car Craft about filling a block with hardbokt. You can run a block on the street if the fill is below the freeze plug level without an problem. The higher the fill the less coolant needed. The heads and the top 2" of he bore in the block are the most important. You can get that stuff out with a dremel tool if you have the time. A local racer told me he drills holes in it down the passages and sends the block to a vibration table place that causes the hardbloc to fall apart without damage to the block. I would check these block for how much cylinder wall is left first, if 30 over it might not be worth it. If stock bore or 10 over, buy 2 and you have a winter project. Hope to see you at R&G in Sept. Rick Lake