Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2004, 05:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #414 427 s/o w. Shelby Aluminum heads, Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake, Mighty Demon 750, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     
Question FEs for Dummys

I'm a newbie and what to get a basic education on Ford FEs. Would like to be able to basically do the following for starters:
1) Identify the difference between models when I look under the hood, and make sure what's advertised is what's in the car
2) Know what I don't know, but enough to know what to ask about
3) Be able to tell which buzz words and specs are meaningful and why, and which are just BS
4) Know where to go for knowledgable help and to get good work done

Hopefully one day I'll graduate to the level of the gurus in this forum, but trying to figure out where to start.

Thanks!
Old 08-02-2004, 06:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

FE's aren't really special in terms of engines. They're actually easier to learn than some of the other engines that are out there in terms of bores, strokes, deck heights, etc.

The FE family consists of the 332, 352, 360, 361, 390, 390HP, 391, 406, 410, 427 center oiler, 427 side oiler, 428 Police Interceptor, and 428 Cobra Jet.

The 361 and the 391 are truck engines.

What's cool about FE's is that you can interchange parts on almost any engine...there are exceptions of course.

With the engine in the car, and the heads attached, it's pretty near impossible to identify one at first glance...without getting underneath, looking at the block, getting the casting numbers, etc, because they all look the same. I'm pretty sure all deck heights are the same....all block dimensions are the same....There are a few ways of telling the hipo blocks....screw in freeze plugs, side bolts on the main caps, and of course the humps on a 427 S/O block.

FE's have a 'Y' block design.....they are skirted. This means that the block extends down past the main cap. If you looked at say a 302 or a 351W, you will see the main caps hanging down below the block. On an FE, you will not see this.

Another unusual thing about the FE engine (and this will help you identify one quickly) is that the valve cover rests on both the cylinder head and the intake manifold. If you look in a parts catalog, you will see what I'm talking about.....

It's hard to answer questions when there are no specific requests.....maybe this will get you started. If you wish, I could post bores and strokes and maybe discuss the different cylinder heads that were available back in the day....the low, medium, and high riser heads, and the tunnel port heads.

As for who to go to when you need professional information, I would post here on this forum first. There are more knowledgeable people here than you can shake a stick at.
Old 08-02-2004, 09:54 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The Holy Grail of FE's is of course the 427 side oiler. It's tricky making an ID on this engine as opposed to the 427 center oiler. You really have to study some pictures of the block and be very dedicated to discern the difference.

I have one and it took me a couple of weeks to really really confirm that I DID have one.
Old 08-02-2004, 10:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     

Most people prefer the 332 because it is lighter

Ed
________
Old 08-02-2004, 11:59 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

How's the soup coming along Ed? It might need a little more stirring.

Big Blocks rule!
Old 08-02-2004, 01:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: HM-2027 / 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Get a couple of the books such as rebuilding your big block ford by steve christ and high performance ford by george reid. These give you casting numbers and explain date codes and how to ID parts and rebuild engines. There are some typo's in each but for the most part a good source of info. Once you understand the basic casting numbers and date code translation the rest is easy. Do a google search for FE engines and check out some websites. There are lots out there.G.
Old 08-02-2004, 03:14 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The problem with the 427's is that most of them came with or without ANY standard markings. Very tough to ID them from "numbers".
Old 08-02-2004, 04:00 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: R.U.C.C. with a 427FE, toploader
Not Ranked     

http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/74182
These guys know all!!!!
Mike
Old 08-02-2004, 04:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: made mine from molds taken off an original, 302/ 351 heads hand made intake drysump oil system, and lots of nitrous.
Send a message via AIM to griffinzein Send a message via Yahoo to griffinzein
Not Ranked     

ive always wondered what doe FE mean? i know its an engine family, but what does it mean? i.e. sb = small block bb= big block
Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer inwaht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?
Old 08-02-2004, 07:01 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Some say, Ford/Edsel others say Ford Engine. I bet there are other variables also.

Me? I'll go with Ford Engine.
Old 08-03-2004, 09:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     

FE is Latin for "Fordious Excessivus". Translation = Excessively heavy Ford engine.

(I had to say it)

Ed
________

Last edited by CobraEd; 08-03-2004 at 09:28 AM..
Old 08-03-2004, 09:48 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I think that translates to Greek as "boatus anchorus". Ford painted 'em blue later so they would blend in better with their surroundings.
Old 08-08-2004, 11:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #414 427 s/o w. Shelby Aluminum heads, Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake, Mighty Demon 750, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     
Default New dumb question - Pros & cons of 427

Thanks all for the great tutorial on the 427 side oiler. Got some books too so at least have a start.

Now for my next question, which I'm sure will open lots of debate:

What are the pros and cons of running a 427 side oiler vs any other FE engine? I understand the cost issue, but am wondering about things like cost of service and parts and the level of on-going maintenance required on the engine. Since the 427 was designed as a racing engine, does it then also take a race team level of know how and maintenance to keep it running and tuned?

I guess right now I'm pretty hung up on having an "authentic" engine in the car. That said, is there a good source that shows the various big blocks that were used in the originals? I noted that Kurt Scott mentioned the first big block cobra experiment used a 390 and I believe the "commericial" version of the car had a 428.

Thanks all for the help!
Old 08-08-2004, 12:45 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

At least one owner of an original car noted HIS came with a 427 center oiler. That was a "street" car without sidepipes (under car exhaust). I'm thinking it was one of the very EARLY street cars and shortly after it came the 428's.

Authentic? 390, 427 center oiler, side oiler and 428 take your pic. First 120 or so comp car and S/C cars? 427 side oiler. The S.O. is not really any different than the rest in terms or build or maintenance, just a lot more dollars!

Some will pay more for a CSX number, some will pay more for a side oiler. If I had the money I'd have BOTH in one car!
Old 08-08-2004, 03:07 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4795 (Sold)
Not Ranked     
Cool OOOH.....YAAAH.........!!

Ex, my man, I couldn't agree with you more:
Quote:
Some will pay more for a CSX number, some will pay more for a side oilier. If I had the money I'd have BOTH in one car!
I have acquired an 196? 427fe side oilier for my CSX car (on order). Don't really know the date there aren't many numbers on the block. I just know that it's a solid (sonic tested) 427fe side oilier block @ .030 over! With a stroker kit, roller cams, aluminum heads & intake, I hope to get: 600/600!
I plan to run this through a new TKO 600 trans., & back it up with a 200 hp NOS system! I like to have an edge! ( it's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it!): Prison rules.
800hp LOOK OUT!
Need to wait to see just how wide of a tire I can stuff under the rear of a CSX car. I will need a second set of rims & drag slicks to use on "special occasions"!
There is a bunch of Viper guys around here that think they are "Hot ****".
I will be a Viper's worst nightmare!

jdog

P.S."If you can't run with the BIG DOGS, stay under the porch!"

Prison rules: "THERE AREN'T ANY!"

Last edited by jdog; 08-08-2004 at 04:54 PM..
Old 08-08-2004, 03:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former Owner/Builder of KMP142 427 Sideoiler, Tunnel Wedge, Aluminum heads, etc.
Not Ranked     

FE was Ford Motor Company's designation for the "Ford/Edsel" series of V8's. There is no other definition.

For a replica, it is my opinion that a side oiler only gives you bragging rights. Before the Shelby/Genesis offerings, if someone wanted a side oiler they were often faced with the daunting proposition of avoiding blocks that had a myriad of "excuses" including welds, sleeves, excessive overbores, etc. At the same time, lots of great 428 Cobra Jet or Super Cobra Jet blocks went begging, because they didn't have the cachet of a "sideoiler". Truth is, for most enthusiast's purposes, the best choice for a big block Cobra engine would be a properly prepared (read properly oiled) 428 CJ and if a good block can be found, a Super Cobra Jet. Unlike a sideoiler or center oiler, these blocks can handle overbores of .030" - .040" without any issues, and if not abused, can stand up to some pretty severe usage. It is unfortunate that many folks who demand a sideoiler settle on a block that has been opened up .030" or .040" and then wonder why they can't fix an overheating problem.

I run a C5AE-H sideoiler, and love it, but if I had it to do all over again, I would follow my own advice.

Bud
Old 08-08-2004, 04:08 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hey my side oiler has been running perfect ever since I got that sticking exh valve, blown head gasket and over heating issue fixed.

....what?
Old 08-08-2004, 05:09 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4795 (Sold)
Not Ranked     
Cool The Heat is.....ON!

Horsepower = Heat!
If my engine has an overheating problem I don't think it will be because of the .030! lol!
It may be from the whip marks all over it!
If it breaks, I'll fix it, if it don't...I WIN!!

jdog

P.S. I'll see you in my rear view mirror!

You'd better get it done today, it's pretty arrogant to think you will have tomorrow to do it!
Old 08-08-2004, 06:42 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: R.U.C.C. with a 427FE, toploader
Not Ranked     

[quote]Originally posted by Bud Man

[b]FE was Ford Motor Company's designation for the "Ford/Edsel" series of V8's. There is no other definition.

That will be argue till the end of time!!!
Mike
Old 08-08-2004, 07:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Ford engines used in Shelby Cars

As part of my search I came across this listing of the engines in various Cobra models:

Ford Engines Used in the Shelby Cars
Author: Carroll Shelby (more...)

1965 GT350 Block C5AE-6015-E 6 Bolt; HIPO , Thicker Main Caps
1966 Cobra 427-CSX3101-CSX3199 Block C5AE-A 1965 center oiler
transition block; press in freeze plugs, solid lifters
1966 Cobra 428-CSX3200-CSX3300 Block C6AE-B 428 solid lifter Police
Interceptor
1966 GT350 Block C5AE-6015-E 6 Bolt; HIPO , Thicker Main Caps
1967 Cobra 427-CSX3301-CSX3360 Block C5AE-H 427 side oiler block,
screw in freeze plugs
1967 GT350 Block C5AE-6015-E 6 Bolt; HIPO , Thicker Main Caps
1967 GT500 Block C6ME-A or C6ME Bore is 4.13 std