Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2004, 08:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     
Default FE Rods...Tell me how bad I messed up

Guys...I just placed a bid on a set of FE rods and pistons.....used....My bid is only $34....which isn't bad. Of course I wasn't planning on using the pistons.....

Here's where I messed up....I read my FE rod identification book wrong....and I thought I was bidding on Lemans rods. After I looked at the book for about 20 minutes, I seen I wasn't bidding on Lemans rods....but now it's too late.

These are C7AE-B rods....it says they're 428ci hipo rods or also 68 427 hipo rods.

I normally wouldn't buy used connecting rods for an engine....but you could see my excitement when I thought I was buying Lemans stuff.

Question is....would these rods be beefy enough (upon further inspection, cleaning, shotpeening, etc.) for a 500hp FE engine? No 9500rpm's here....but probably around 6000-6500.

I wanna know how much money I just threw away.
Old 08-05-2004, 09:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 with 331 KC
Not Ranked     

$34

By the time you are done getting those used rods sized, magnafluxed, etc then buy a decent set of ARP bolts to put in them you will be within a few dollars of a new set of Eagle rods.

IMO.

Pat
Old 08-05-2004, 09:25 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CR 427 S/C, 351W, 5 Sp & KMP142 - 427 SO, 4 Spd
Not Ranked     

All I can say is that if $34 is going to put
you in a state of major concern, and you
are starting a build - boy are you in for a
roller coaster ride!
Old 08-05-2004, 11:06 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

No kidding Flip!!! $34 won't even fill the gas tank, just walk away man, it's OK to let it go!
Old 08-05-2004, 11:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

How ya going to fit them in that fire breathing 351 stroker?

Ahhhh a switch hitter.........

Rick

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way

Last edited by Rick Parker; 08-05-2004 at 11:50 PM..
Old 08-06-2004, 02:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #375 427 S/C - 428FE - Toploader - 1968 AMX 390 Go Pack 4 Speed - My Daily Driver is a 2004 Crossfire
Send a message via AIM to REDSC400
Not Ranked     

Idea....
Paint them up and give them as gift paperweights.

I agree with the other opines....

If $34 is shaking your timbers.... you are in the wrong house. We all have about (figure withheld by truth police ) dollars tied up in impulse purchase hardware and car lotions, balms, waxes and doo dads.

A car can massage organs which no masseur can reach. It is the one remedy for the disorders of the great sympathetic nervous system. Jean Cocteau 1889-1963, French Author, Filmmaker
Old 08-06-2004, 04:09 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Cobra
Not Ranked     

Yo Blykins, are you hanging in there? How's the job search going?

Well, $34 is a better hit than what I laid out for BOSS 351 rods.

It can get pricey. I think all total I ended up with about $300. after all the machining and new bolts.

So, if the rods are $34 worth of engine parts you will not use, hold on to them. You are going to be reading some thread from someone who needs a set of rods and you will be able to help them out.

Think of it this way, $34 is about what you would spend on beer for one night.
Old 08-06-2004, 04:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, 396 CI
Not Ranked     

boy, you would not believe how much extra stuff i have in my garage from trying this or that mod, bags of AN fittings, just now got a custom Samco silcone hose, $50, from England, and sure enough, won't work. I could build half another car with what is out there now. Not to mention the special tools i have acquired to do this or that.

Put one of the rods on a plaque on your garage wall, say something like "from Le Mans winning GT 40" or something.
IV Corps 71-72, Gulf War
Old 08-06-2004, 04:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tru....still looking buddy. I'm actually taking a job for a month in Louisville to help a manufacturing company refine their processes and get some lean manufacturing started. It's not a full-timer, but it's a foot in the door. I thought I was buying a set of $34 Lemans rods to celebrate...hehehe

Rick....I do have a fire breathing stroker...hehehe...but I've always wanted a fire breathing boat anchor too. I had gotten a hold of a cherry 390 high nickel block....thick cast....and the thought in the back of my head was to always build it after I got the Cobra finished....kind of a back-burner project. Believe me, I know about Cobra parts diming you to death. I too have a garage full of spare parts that I can't use in my build.

My major concern was whether I could use these rods or not. Yeah, I could buy Eagles....but I can get all my machine work done for free....so I'm not worried about revamping a set. I normally wouldn't put used parts in an engine....everything is brand new in my Windsor engine...except for the front cover and the block....however I know the beefiness of a Lemans rod....and thought it might be the best way to go at this point.

Last edited by blykins; 08-06-2004 at 04:55 AM..
Old 08-06-2004, 05:00 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Cobra
Not Ranked     

I'm with Hal on the rods on the wall. That would be a good use if they don't suit ya.

Hal, I have the same collection going. Leather seats that don't fit my car, pullies from three of four different Cleveland engines and I am not sure how much Earl's plumbing I have that leaks.

Everytime I read about someone on the club here that is looking for a part and I have the parts, I try to make the connection.
Old 08-06-2004, 07:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#1981/ 418Stroker
Not Ranked     

You could always Hang em from the ceiling fan and make a wind chime

Click to Win a Cobra!!
Old 08-06-2004, 07:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

Send them to Hal, let HIM make a wind chime for the patio. Hurricane season is right around the corner! It'll take more than a gentle breeze to make them things tinkle!!!

Rick

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 08-06-2004, 07:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Brent,

Looks like you are still in the cat birds seat on the auction, just rethink things again. Maybe you could build a fire breating 352, and have something real unique! May use less gas???

Just kidding .............not the end of the world. Pray that someone jumps in and snipes them, or just retract your bid with an explanation.

Rick

Old 08-06-2004, 08:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

are the rod bolts 3/8" or 13/32"?( you need a 25/64ths socket to remove the rod nut)
The 13/32" rods are the same ones that came in 427 low risers,427 hi-risers and 428 CJs.
With some minor prep work and new aftermarket rod bolts they are more than capable of handleing 500 hp and occasional 6000 rpm blasts.
Even the standard 3/8 rod, if prepped properly is plenty strong.
--Mike

Last edited by SFfiredog; 08-06-2004 at 08:27 AM..
Old 08-06-2004, 08:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I really don't know now that they're not Lemans rods...He didn't mention it in the description and I can't find mention of it in my FE book. I don't have them yet, so I can't look at them myself.
Old 08-06-2004, 10:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

They are not Lemans rods, just standard 352/390 type.

Rick

Old 08-06-2004, 01:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: HM-2027 / 427 SO
Not Ranked     

No the C7's you have are not LeMans rods. $34 is not a bad price either for some questionable rods. All in all a good rod and I've used them in several engines. They sell for less than $200 a set reconditioned with new bushings. Put them back on eBay for a $50 buy it now....someone will pick them up. C5AE-B,C,D and C6AE-E are what your looking for. Good luck, G.
Old 08-06-2004, 01:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M Cobra Ford FE 427 w/ Webers 48 IDA
Not Ranked     

This sparks a question for me now. I was just trying to search the internet to see what kind of rods I have. The number printed in the rods are C70E-A. I was told that they are NASCAR rods. I also have the crank ID 09AZ6303, It is pretty hard to see the ID.

Can any one shed some light here.
Old 08-06-2004, 02:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: HM-2027 / 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Forgot to add that the C9ZZ SCJ are the LeMans type also just with shortened caps screws to clear the 428 block skirt. And yes the C7OE-A are NASCAR rods. G.
Old 08-06-2004, 03:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I knew for a fact they weren't Lemans rods....after I placed the bid....because I looked at the wrong line in the book. I was just curious to see if these would stand up to a healthy engine...

Funny how questions in posts get turned around isn't it?