Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2004, 11:40 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar LS427, Keith Craft 496 Genesis, 649 hp, 668 ft-lb, TKO-600, Dynatek Stack EFI
Not Ranked     
Post Okie newbie has FE questions!

Hi guys,
This is my first post but have been lurking around here for months. I want to thank everyone in this forum for helping me make my decisions on my build that is in its first stages of progress. Here's where I'm at:
Keith Craft 496 Genesis (I won't post the dyno #'s, everyone knows what they are) , TKO-600. Waiting on my Lonestar, should be ready to pick-up next week. I've spent the last few weeks detailing the engine and assembling what I can without the car. Ran into a few snags along the way and looking for some suggestions.

1) Mcleod aluminum flywheel #563210. Have one hole that doesn't line up with the crank. Off maybe .010". Scat steel crank. Can I use my dremel and just ream it a little without screwing up.

2)Mcleod modular bellhousing. Anyone using this setup? If so did you use the bolts that came with it to secure to the block. Having a hard time getting enough clearance to get them in (to close to the bell in the bellhousing).
There are pics in my gallery but don't think there's enough detail there to see what I mean.

3)I also purchased a expansion tank kit from Enzo @ Finishline. There were no instructions! Anyone know where there are some diagrams. I mean, it's pretty straight forward, except the inlet pipe is really long where it goes into the bottom of the tank. Wondering if it is supposed to extend up through the baffle? or just cut it to fit into the lower portion?

Any help or comments appreciated. And thanks again to everyone. This is a great forum and very informative!! I hardly ever watch the tube any more.

Brad
Old 08-09-2004, 04:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

Beautiful engine and transmission. I am sure the rest of your Cobra will look just as great.

I will try and answer what I can.

1. Don't touch the crank or flywheel with a dremmel tool. It will void your warrenty. Call Red today on the McLeod tech line. It may take several tries to get through but be persistant.

I am not sure what you want to know about the expansion tank, a lot of us paid to have an older refurbished model shortened? I assume you purchased the unassembled model? Height is an issue with the expansion tank as well as is the air cleaner. If so it is sold that way so the tank can be turned 180 degrees and shortened depending on the users needs.

Your McLeod bell housing looks just like mine and I used 7/16" 12 point bolts and it was a little tight in places. Just wait until some time in the future you decide to replace your clutch or throw out bearing and you are lying on your back taking these bolts off. That's a lot of fun too!

Clois

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 08-09-2004, 09:58 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar LS427, Keith Craft 496 Genesis, 649 hp, 668 ft-lb, TKO-600, Dynatek Stack EFI
Not Ranked     

Hi Clois:
Thanks for your reply. I will call Mcloed today about the flywheel. As far as the expansion tank, I will be reversing and shortening the tank, but the lenght of the inlet tube elbow concerns me. It is long enough to reach into the upper portion of the tank, if a hole was cut into the baffle plate. Not sure if that is the correct way or not. I just tried a 12pt. bolt in the bellhousing and it will clear, but just barely. Wonder why the kit came with 6 pts if they don't fit? Thought maybe the allen head bolts were the ones (3/8") and the Genesis blocks had bigger bolt holes than the original blocks. Yeah, I can see those things are going to be hard to remove while in the car.

By the way, we've probably met. I worked or actually was a partner with an oil and gas co. on the eight floor of your building. We sold a lot of gas to you guys. Even bought part of the Osage Co. system last year. Anyway, saw your car in the garage many times when I was in town. Tried to stay in the field as much as possible though, I hate meetings. Hoping to get the car ready before cold weather, but thats probably just pipe dream. Lots of hard work ahead. Thanks again.

Brad
Old 08-09-2004, 10:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Not Ranked     

Brad,

I can't tell you about the baffel hole because I got a chance to buy the Dove Expansion Tank. Once I got it all sealed up it has been a real nice tank. I originally had bought an expansion tank from George Anderson at Gessford. George has a guy who modifies and test the tanks according to owner specs'.

When you get everything all together the way you want it, drive it up and we can get together with some of the other Cobra's here. I wish I could spend more time away from the office than I do. I agree that sometimes less is more. By the way were you with River City Resources?

Clois

"Let's roll"

Old 08-09-2004, 10:41 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

No Clois, I was with Patrick Energy. I ran all of our field operations. We started the Oklanoma coalbed methane boom back in the early 90's. If you don't know those guys, you should stop and see them, suite 810. Quite a racing history there. Mr. Patrick, although he still lives in Michigan and not there often, was the co-founder along with Penske of the CART league. I think he sold his teams last year, but won the Indy 500 three times as an Indy owner before CART, twice with Johncock and once with Fittipaldi driving, if memory serves me correctly. Pretty cool working for him, we had free reign to go anywhere during the CART events. Amazing how much technology is in those cars.

Brad
Old 08-09-2004, 04:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #629, BBM Side Oiler Block, 482ci, Richmond 5 speed
Not Ranked     

Brad,

Don't dremel out the flywheel hole. The flywheel is made to go on in only one position. If all the holes don't line up, I think all you have to do is unbolt it and rotate it. If you rotate it on the the crank one bolt hole at a time, you should find one position where all the bolt holes will line up.

Chris
Old 08-09-2004, 04:41 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Chris:
Thanks for suggestion. I have tried all the available positions. Some of them were off as much a full bolt hole. In the position that fits best, all holes line up except for one and it is off just a little bit. I can get the bolt started but it is crossed and I know it will strip the threads in the crank if I force it. It am trying to contact Red @ Mcloed to see if they have ran into this before. It may be the crank that is misdrilled. Thanks again. I'm still trying! Anyone know about the internal design of the expansion tank?

Brad
Old 08-09-2004, 06:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: HM-2027 / 427 SO
Not Ranked     

I have an original Ford tank and the neck only goes far enough inside the take to solder it. In other words it's fairly flush to the tank bottom on the inside. There is also a lip on the end of the neck that goes into the tank that helps steady the tank for soldering. Hope this helps somewhat. G.
Old 08-10-2004, 10:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Brad,

What crank are you running? If you are running a 428 crank you will have 28 oz of balance on your flywheel. I believe the 427 uses a different flywheel as does the 390 that is zero balanced.

Just a few thoughts here.

Clois

"Let's roll"

Old 08-10-2004, 11:20 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star Classics #89 Keith Craft Genesis 427 so, stroked to 482, 649 hp. Sabre GT 40 #16 351W stroked to 408, 527hp, TWM stack injection, Fast XFI, G50/50.
Not Ranked     

Hey Brad,

Congradulations on your new Cobra! I like your choices, check out my tagline we have a few things in common. I am alittle more that half way between you and Lone Star, holler next time your coming down I would love to check out your car.

John
Old 08-10-2004, 11:41 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Clois, thats the way I understand it also. 428 crank external balance, 427 crank internal balance.
Old 08-10-2004, 12:08 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Clois and Excaliber:
I'm running a 427 stroker crank. It's 0 balance.
Still waiting to talk to Red though. I'll let you guys know what I find out.
FFR428:
Thanks for your reply. That helps alot. I didn't thing the neck went into the upper reservoir but need some confirmation. Thanks again.
JRoss:
Thanks. I'm excited about getting down to the grind on my build. I was working and oil and gas project in Rock Springs, Tx all winter and drove over to Austin the weekend of the TCC event, in April, I believe. I met you and several of the other TCC guys there. Your car really helped sell me on the LS427. Damn sure sold me on the Keith Craft Genesis. I think are engines are almost the same (I wasn't trying to copy, just went with Keith's suggestions). I'm through Mckinney quite often, so I'll let you know when I'm down that way.

Bra

Last edited by 2KWIK4U; 08-10-2004 at 12:11 PM..