Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-16-2004, 04:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AC Frua, FE Side Oiler
Not Ranked     
Question Edelbrock heads stage 2

I am thinking about buying 72cc Edelbrock head with stage 2 porting to be installed on a otherwise stock 428 SCG, with a Police Interceptor intake Manifold. I will run a slightly hotter hydraulic cam as well. I have a c6 automatic transmission and the car weight 3150lbs.

a) Will the stage 2 porting make a big difference compared with the standard head? or will it be too much?

b) Is the $600 difference worth it

c) anybody has any experience with the stage 2 heads?
Old 08-18-2004, 02:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Please read my thread called "Dyno numbers and Cam Selection" posted on the FE forum here by me (Shelbytexas). I have a very similar set-up with the PI intake and the Edelb. alum. heads. The HP out of the 454 is only 300; I have consulted MANY and am convinced I needed: 1)worked heads 2)more cam 3)Roller cam and lifters.
Evidently these heads flow about like stock heads and you can make terrific gains with this work.
Good luck!
Ken
Old 08-18-2004, 03:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AC Frua, FE Side Oiler
Not Ranked     
Question

On my other car, with a side oiler, I have stock Edelbrock 427 heads (76CC) and a relatively mild cam, the engine was dynoed at 468hp and 550lps of tork. So I know the potential with the Edelbrock heads out of the box, what I am trying to access is if there is any benefit in buying Stage 2 heads on a relatively stock 428 SCJ. If the ports are too big, the engine will have actually less HP and torque! Thanks
Old 08-18-2004, 03:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I would LOVE to know the specs of your 427 if you have a moment; as for your question, you should call Kieth Craft in Arkadelphia Arkansas at 870.246.7460.
Old 08-23-2004, 10:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yes, I agree. Call Keith Craft. I almost ordered their stage 2 Edelbrock heads for my 428. But after talking to Keith and discussing exactly what my application needed, he talked me into going with as-cast Edelbrock heads with a good valve job and better valve springs. Saved me a lot of money, and I'll get the performance I'm looking for. Not only does the guy know his FE heads, he's honest. He won't talk you into buying something you don't need so he can make a buck.
Old 08-24-2004, 06:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I like Cobras, but I'm here for the FE stuff...
Not Ranked     
Default Something to think about...

82ACAUTOCRAFT, Keith Craft is doing an FE stroker for me that's going in a big Galaxie that will use the old 3x2 intake. With this obsolete intake, I had the same question as to whether the Stage II head was worth it. Or like you say, would it even HURT the performance? Keith said the Stage II wouldn't hurt but didn't necessarily recommend it with the stock carbs (as jared says, he's honest). But I ended up going with the Stage II anyway after Keith's engine builder, Jeff, said, "You could put the Stage IIs on a stock, single-two-barrel motor and they'd make more power."

The "something to think about..." is that your goals may change over time. I like knowing that my heads can support considerably more power if I ever want to get more aggressive with the rest of the combination.

So do take jared's advice and give Keith a call. Whether or not you go with the Stage II, Craft's heads are a much better product than out-of-the-box heads.

Have fun!
Old 08-24-2004, 04:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: HM-2027 / 427 SO
Not Ranked     

FWIW the stock tripower carb setup flows a total of 728 cfm. G.
Old 08-25-2004, 05:06 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA # 665, 390 (to start with) Toploader
Not Ranked     
Default Has anyone tried the BG tripower carbs?

Have any of you tripower guys tried the new Barry Grant tripower carbs? I think he has a chevy setup out now but I expect they could be recalibrated for a ford.

Chuck
Old 08-25-2004, 02:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: HM-2027 / 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Chuck they are cool! I'm keeping my eye on those for sure! Didn't Boyd Codington's roadster he built get the prototype? I think I remember seeing them in one of the AHR episodes. G.