Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        
Old 08-26-2004, 06:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The shell lifters use longer push rods
Old 08-26-2004, 06:48 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA # 665, 390 (to start with) Toploader
Not Ranked     
Default Pushrod length

Since I think we determined you have non-adjustable valvetrain there is just one basic pushrod length for the pushrod with ball ends on both ends. But... because there was no other way to adjust the length Ford used to sell them in longer and shorter sizes to compensate for milling the heads etc.

I think what you'll have to do is get some standard ones and compare them with your good ones. You could have custom length ones for all we know, it's fairly common to have to make up custom pushrods these days.

Chuck
Old 08-26-2004, 09:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique FIA
Not Ranked     
Lightbulb

Paul,
Measure the length of the good ones. We can measure ours here in the states and compare to see if you have a custom length.
Steve

Last edited by Steve R; 08-26-2004 at 09:56 PM..
Old 08-26-2004, 10:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #523, 427 S/O
Not Ranked     

Paul,
US Automotive should be able to help you out on parts, I may even some kicking around that you could "borrow".

US Automotive
18-19, St. Martins Way
Bedford
Bedfordshire
MK42 0LF
United Kingdom

Tel. 01234 273155
Fax. 01234 273064

http://www.usauto.co.uk

Paul

Last edited by FatBoy; 08-27-2004 at 01:35 AM..
Old 08-27-2004, 06:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrision FE 427 so 2-4s
Not Ranked     

My car came with a set of Dove roller rockers and shafts. They are supported on the ends.The ends bolt down to special head bolts. When I took them appart and needed advise and instructions. I ended up getting information through George Anderson at Guessford Machine in Nebraska.He's under" member discounts" at the top of the page and I beleive he is a dealer.Thirty years ago I messed around with a 406 stuffed in a 55 Customline and later a 428 in a 63 1/2 gallaxie.solid lifters were the choice I went with .Shell lifters were the choice for me .They date back from the first FE 332 in late 57 I beleive. They are a solid lifter shaped like an empty drinking glass but with straight outsides . The longer pushrod sits against the bottm of the lifter allmost on the actual cam lobe.I found some supplied by Holman Moody (1972) that were incredably lite even lighter than originals.I mainly had problems with the pushrods supplied by Crane ,Allways bending them..My choice is a solid lifter cam, shell lifters, and the best pushrods you can find . My part was easy I only had a couple of bent pushrods so I measured the good ones and ordered another set and replacements. Apparently my geometry was correct so I stayed with that length. I've seen others with new configurations that must have been off a little and problems insued.My pushrods were made by.
Smith Brothers Pushrods (541) 388-8188 (on shipping lable)
62968 Layton ave-suite 1 1 800 367 1533 ( on box)
Bend Origon
Do not try to straighten severly bent tubular pushrods . Metal doesn't compress when it is bent it stretches.If it gets stretched it gets thinner.It allready has a predisposition to bend.It will bend again with less force.There is allways a trade off with all things. With the lighter lifters you use a longer push rod.That creates another problem.Good tubular pushrods go a long way to taking care of that problem ,but everything has its limits.
Looking at the box my pushrods came in, my machinist paid $148.34 to get them here to Tacoma WA.

Last edited by Michael C Henry; 08-27-2004 at 07:30 AM..
Old 08-30-2004, 03:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: -Sold- Contemporary 427S/C # CCX-3152 1966 427 Med Rise Side Oiler, 8v 3.54:1 Salisbury IRS, Koni's.. (Now I'm riding Harleys)
Not Ranked     

I have 2 NOS units C8AE (better oiling than earlier shafts) in the wrapper. $75 ea. 707.235.6639

A man that is young in years, may be old in hours, if he have lost no time. But that happeneth rarely. Generally, youth is like the first cogitations, not so wise as the second. For there is a youth in thoughts, as well as in ages... Sir Francis Bacon (1561-1626)
Old 09-08-2004, 03:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: -Sold- Contemporary 427S/C # CCX-3152 1966 427 Med Rise Side Oiler, 8v 3.54:1 Salisbury IRS, Koni's.. (Now I'm riding Harleys)
Not Ranked     

I guess you found some. I still have these NOS units if anyone wants them.

A man that is young in years, may be old in hours, if he have lost no time. But that happeneth rarely. Generally, youth is like the first cogitations, not so wise as the second. For there is a youth in thoughts, as well as in ages... Sir Francis Bacon (1561-1626)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: