Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2004, 01:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 293 is a MA registered Kirkham 427 which has a lifetime emissions waiver
Not Ranked     
Default Dyno run for FE

Below are the dynamometer run figures for a 495 cu. in. engine built on a Shelby 427 aluminum block, headers and pipes in place, by Kinetic Racing Engines in Westland MI for my Kirkham KMP 293.

I’d requested a tractable state of tune for the engine since there is no intent that it would be used as a flat out racer. In keeping with that, Kinetic used hydraulic lifters and an Edelbrock dual plane manifold.

I really don’t have much experience with this type of engine and was wondering if I could get some feedback from other members of this forum as to how this test shapes up against other engines.

RPM lb/ft Hp
3500 605.4 403.4
3750 603.8 431.1
4000 609.3 464.1
4250 610.1 493.7
4500 599.9 514.0
4750 592.3 535.7
5000 581.7 553.8
5250 550.3 550.1
5500 533.2 558.4
5750 483.7 529.6
6000 444.3 507.6
Old 09-09-2004, 02:06 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Original ERA 427sc, Powered by Gessford
Not Ranked     

That looks like a nice street motor. Great torque #s, and the HP is very good too. What are the rest of the specs on the motor, which cam, compression ratio, etc. ?

Do you know what the torque/hp #s are between 2500 and 3500?

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."
Old 09-09-2004, 02:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Nice torque curve. Staying within 80% of max from 3000 - 6000 rpm will make for nice steady puller.
Don't worry about how it compares to others, that's a can of worms you don't need to open. Big blocks rule and you have a damn nice one. If it idles nice and is well mannered at low RPM you will be very happy with those numbers for a good all around street motor. It will have more than enough pucker factor when you step on it.

Keep us posted on your progress.
Old 09-09-2004, 02:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Owned CSX 3121 1969-1975. Went to the dark side and bought a 'Vette. May yet repent and be saved.
Not Ranked     

That should be good, clean fun in a light car. You could probably granny shift at 4000 and beat 90% of the hot street cars.
Old 09-10-2004, 09:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Dyno run

The specs look good for a street motor. You are getting about 1.1 HP per cubic inch, which is relatively mild, but in a 2500 lbs car, you really don't need any more for the street. One thing that might be considered in Cobra applications, is how you intend to drive the car, even if you don't intend to race it at a track. If the car is mainly going to see stop light to stop light in town driving, then a big cubic inch torque motor works quite well. But if you intend to drive the car on the open road with a lot of sharp turns, then a motor that builds more upper end HP and less low end torque will make the car much more enjoyable coming out of tight turns. Just something to consider with the the popularity of the present day stroker motors.
FE Specialties Your West coast FE source. We build FEs with todays technology, not circa 1970. We can supply you with any type of engine and drive train parts. From mild to wild. We engineer engines, not just throw parts at them. I currently am campaigning a 67 coupe that has C4AE-G iron heads, full interior, 3300 lbs. 10.51 @ 130.5mph. 665 HP(revised) with 11.6 to 1 comp. single 4 barrel.
Thanks Much. Tom
Old 09-10-2004, 09:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

With all that torque, if the tow vehicle breaks down you could put the truck on the trailer and tow it with the Cobra
Nice engine
--Mike
Old 09-10-2004, 09:52 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Very interesting numbers!!! I would like to know the specs on the cam, or the model number of the cam so I can look it up.
Old 09-10-2004, 10:34 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4795 (Sold)
Not Ranked     
Talking Hows my engine doing?

Tom,
How's my engine comming along? Still no date on my car yet!

jdog
Old 09-10-2004, 11:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #2119 289FIA
Not Ranked     

Walrus, You're going to really like your engine on the street. Even though mine is a dreaded Chebby, it is very similar to yours. I run a bored and stroked 454 at 496" (4.310 bore x 4.250 stroke), Edelbrock rectangular port aluminum heads, 10.25 compression, Crane Hyd. flat tappet cam with .553/.578" lift, and 224/234° duration at .050, Edelbrock Air Gap manifold and 800 CFM Performer carb. My dyno numbers are somewhat less than yours but with 596'#@ 3700 and 552HP @ 5400, it is very streetable, doesn't load up or overheat and definitely tries to make my navel hit my spine. I've got over 6000 miles on the motor and have been thinking maybe I'll change the spark plugs just to have something to do to the motor other than change the oil. hope you have as good of luck with yours.
Old 09-10-2004, 02:44 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4795 (Sold)
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Nice web site Tom!

Tom,
I like your web site. Talk to you soon.

jdog
Old 10-13-2004, 01:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Jdog,
I need to get on the forum more!!!! I just saw you replys. Thanks for the nice words on the site. Your motor is getting balanced and assembly is right around the corner.
Take Care, Tom
FE Specialties Your West coast FE source. We build FEs with todays technology, not circa 1970. We can supply you with any type of engine and drive train parts. From mild to wild. We engineer engines, not just throw parts at them. I currently am campaigning a 67 coupe that has C4AE-G iron heads, full interior, 3300 lbs. 10.51 @ 130.5mph. 665 HP(revised) with 11.6 to 1 comp. single 4 barrel.
Thanks Much. Tom
Old 10-13-2004, 02:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000, 427
Not Ranked     

Walrus,

can you tell us what other parts were used in your build up, and what the final cost for your engine was?

I've heard good things about Kinetic.
"After jumping into an early lead, Miles pitted for no reason. He let the entire field go by before re-entering the race. The crowd was jumping up and down as he stunned the Chevrolet drivers by easily passing the entire field to finish second behind MacDonald's other team Cobra. The Corvette people were completely demoralized."
Old 10-14-2004, 05:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 293 is a MA registered Kirkham 427 which has a lifetime emissions waiver
Not Ranked     

KMP 293 Engine Specifications

Built by Kinetic Racing Engines, Westland MI
Cost: estimated to be well over $25K (required to maintain interspousal deniability)

Shelby 427 aluminium block

Bore: 4.280
Stroke: 4.30
Displacement: 495 cu. in.
Compression Ratio 10.47:1

Moldex billet crankshaft
Carrillo connecting rods
Forged aluminum pistons
Cloyes timing chain
Crane crank H-242/325-2S-10 T2
Crane lifters
Edelbrock aluminum heads
Edelbrock performer rpm manifold
Unobtanium, Special Sauce, and secret machining by Dennis Rossow and Chris Gesek of Kinetic