Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2004, 06:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: Early 427 car
Not Ranked     
Default How much compression have you guys got away with on pump gas?

I'm in the final stages of an engine assembly where I'm tweaking things to reduce a greater than 12:1 compression ratio resulting from small chamber heads. My pistons are currently flat top, which alot of guys seem to consider optimal for flame travel, etc., so I'm leary of putting too big of a dish in them. I will be ceramic coating the chambers and piston tops. Any "data points" out there for max compression utilized would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 10-09-2004, 09:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold 3047 & 3002 in 2012
Not Ranked     
Default Compression

Cut heads are great for compression.
Dished pistons and valves are not the way to go.

If it were me, and I have had both street compression and 12:1 in a Cobra....
Just go the 12:1.
You will be happy.
For the amount of time you will use the car and the fact that you will have a 42 gal tank, don't even thing about pump gas, not worth the issue.

But if you need..
Pump gas
Iron heads 10:1 or less
Aluminum 10.5:1 max

A lot depends on other build issues such as static compression and other things I can not explain.
But, my engine builder partner can if you need.

www.competitionlife.com

"Hurry Up And Live"
Old 10-09-2004, 09:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters, Tweaked 351W, T-5Z, CRII Tech Support Team.
Not Ranked     

First off, you may not want to ceramic coat the pistons or chambers. Aluminum absorbs heat faster than iron which is why you can go up on CR by as much as a point or so. Ceramic coating pistons and chamber retains heat, and in this case would work against you.

Next, dishing pistons OK, except under the quench or flat area in head. Dish, in this case would be a "D" shape in piston.

Open up chambers a little. Unshroud valves and plug. Tough part is getting all 8 chambers the same.

When grinding valves, seat valves a little deeper in head.

Thick head gasket.

Add these small changes up and dial in your CR.
Old 10-09-2004, 09:36 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

12.5 to 1, iron heads, freakin' nightmare on the street. Out with old pistons, in with new dished ones so I can keep my 1964 high riser iron heads (I like 'em). Shooting for 9.5 or 9.8
Old 10-10-2004, 03:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary with 482 KC/SO, TKO600,IRS Jag/AMP, 3.54 Salisbury PL,
Not Ranked     
Default Compression

I blew the headgaskets twice with my iron heads with 11.5 compression. Pump gas is all I can get around here, and that at 97 RON with added octane booster. I also blew a lot of money with the two engine repairs needed, because in both cases the metal rim of the gasket found its way to the crankshaft and ruined it.
Now I have a set of DOVE F5 aluminum heads with 9.6 compression and TRW flat pistons. I think that with the better flow and better heat characteristics of the aluminum heads, I did not lose much power with the switch. What I have now is peace of mind, a motor that runs like a clock and a decent idle. 95 unleaded is what I use with no problem.
Old 10-10-2004, 08:39 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: JBL now SOLD
Send a message via AIM to jdean
Not Ranked     

In order to run 10:8 with premium gas (93), i decked the block so that the pistons are .005 out of the hole. This gives a very tight quench area with flat top pistons, which helps control detonation.
Old 10-10-2004, 08:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Comments

I don't understand blowing head gaskets with 11.5 to one with a good build.

For the .005 out of the hole guy, I also don't agree. I would never have a piston out of the hole because...........

Piston rock will cause an unequal compression in a cylinder and the potential for hitting the valve.

www.competitionlife.com

"Hurry Up And Live"
Old 10-10-2004, 09:05 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     

10.8:1, aluminum heads.
Old 10-10-2004, 09:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Mustang 427 CO (489 cid), TKO-600
Send a message via AIM to My427stang
Not Ranked     

I run 11.5:1 in my heavier Mustang on 89 Octane. The trick is polish everything for no hotspots (valve reliefs, edges of valve, chamber, etc, and in your case I'd probably have the chambers opened slightly, unshoruding the valves for more airflow and even bore matching while cheating a few cc's out.

With a timing curve of a 26 degrees in no sooner that 2700 or so, and an initial of 12-14, you should be fine on 91 pump gas in the lighter car

The last thing is, make sure you are running a cam with some overlap, if you go with a mild cam, it will ping
08 F-250 6.4 PSD 4x4 SB pulling a 26 ft Mirage for the toys

Last edited by My427stang; 10-12-2004 at 10:33 PM..
Old 10-10-2004, 09:47 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
I am running 11:1 in both my small block with aluminum heads and my big block with the factory iron heads with no real problems. The aluminum heads dissipate heat much better and I don't have to watch the timing quite so close on hot days. And believe me, I do notice a big difference when I use pump gas and my racing gas.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 10-10-2004, 11:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     
Default Compression

nm .

Last edited by Byots; 05-28-2018 at 05:45 AM..
Old 10-10-2004, 11:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     
Default Dish

nm .

Last edited by Byots; 05-28-2018 at 05:44 AM..
Old 10-10-2004, 07:58 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: JBL now SOLD
Send a message via AIM to jdean
Not Ranked     

How can .005 out of the hole cause piston rock? Better check your facts. I would not say this is common practice, but it is certainly not unusual, esp. for racing engines.

Keep in mind that between rods, crankshafts and compression heights there is enough room to combine for a difference of .005 off or more in many engines.
Old 10-10-2004, 08:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default JDEAN

I was trying to say that since there is going to be piston rocking, it would be safer to be .005 in the hole than out.

www.competitionlife.com

"Hurry Up And Live"
Old 10-11-2004, 11:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     
Default Dished vs Flat Top

nm .

Old 10-11-2004, 01:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: shell valley, all aluminum 540 ci chevy
Not Ranked     

First, let me assure you that .005" out of the deck will not in the least make the piston rock or in any other way harm the performance. There are a lot of motors that blueprint with the piston out of the hole to get factory advertised compression ratio. It will, however exacerbate your problem of too much compression and or cylinder pressure (which is the problem here). A long overlap cam will reduce cylinder pressure. Do not sink the valves into your head as one poster advised as this will negatively affect airflow. Cometic gaskets makes thick head gaskets purposely to reduce compression ratio. I think they have applications for all engine makes. Lastly, if all else fails just retard your ignition timing. This is the easiest way to reduce excess cylinder pressure. -Bob
Old 10-11-2004, 01:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000, 427
Not Ranked     

Byots, From my reading and understanding, I think the difference you're referring to actually is secondary to the use of closed chamber vs' open chamber heads (read more carefully) , the former having a smaller combustion chamber with better (quicker) combustion (smaller area/volume for the flame of combustion), as opposed to the difference with running either flat top or dished pistons. I think the efficiency is pretty close between flat top and dished pistons, but drops with domed pistons, with the dome impeding flame travel during combustion.

You want a small combustion chamber for good combustion, but yet you also want unshrouding of the valves for high rpm breathing, contradicting aspects somewhat.

At high rpm's, under full load, you may not hear detonation before your engine fails. I'd be careful.

Regarding piston height, there is an optimum quench distance, I can't remember, but I think it is about .030-.040". Knowing your head gasket thickness, you can then determine what piston height you will need to get the targeted quench distance.
"After jumping into an early lead, Miles pitted for no reason. He let the entire field go by before re-entering the race. The crowd was jumping up and down as he stunned the Chevrolet drivers by easily passing the entire field to finish second behind MacDonald's other team Cobra. The Corvette people were completely demoralized."
Old 10-11-2004, 04:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     
Default Dome vs Dish

nm .

Old 10-11-2004, 04:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     
Default Dish vs flat

nm .

Old 10-11-2004, 04:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     
Default typo

nm .