Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2004, 01:46 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 S.O. Dual Quad / Cobra undecided
Not Ranked     
Default 427SO on ebay

Is anyone familiar with this shop?
SHELBY COBRA FORD FE 427 SIDE OILER STROKER ENGINE Item number: 7926796108
Old 10-12-2004, 08:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: -Sold- Contemporary 427S/C # CCX-3152 1966 427 Med Rise Side Oiler, 8v 3.54:1 Salisbury IRS, Koni's.. (Now I'm riding Harleys)
Not Ranked     
Default yes...

Yes,

Precision oil pumps in Madera, CA. I think the owners name is Doug. They sell (possibly assemble) very high quality rocker arm and oil pump asseblies. I get 90 psi out of their high volume pump.

Both Brent Mills and I got a set of roller tip rocker arms in which the adjuster caps were not properly heat treated. Doug was very quick to bend over backwards to fix the problem in both cases. Including hand delivering a package to the post office and sending me a new set priority mail so I would get them the next day. 100% no cost. Which seems only right except they sat in my toolbox 14 months before I installed them. I got a good feeling about him from what could have been a bad situation.

I will be honest with you, If you don't buy this I might. I put a 427 in my cobra because it was "original" and I got a nice period C5AE medium ride side oiler. But I have 3 times in my engine you'd have in this. This short block makes mine look enemic. slap on a set of edelbrock heads for $1200 and you have a great street motor.

Yea it's been sleeved, but so what. Every Ferrari engine built has been sleeved (aluminum blocks) done right it is a benefit. It will last longer run cooler and you can bore it out at least 3x.

I'd be happy to help with your deal if you decide to do it.

A man that is young in years, may be old in hours, if he have lost no time. But that happeneth rarely. Generally, youth is like the first cogitations, not so wise as the second. For there is a youth in thoughts, as well as in ages... Sir Francis Bacon (1561-1626)

Last edited by SCOBRAC; 10-13-2004 at 03:14 PM..
Old 10-12-2004, 08:42 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

If I was going to bid I'd have two questions for clarification purposes.

1. The "side oiler" block has been and still is now drilled to be a "center oiler"?

2. The lifter galley oiling has been "drilled" for "solid lifters" as per the e-bay ad. I think normally the oil galley would be drilled for "hydraulic lifters", as the side oiler blocks (pre 1966 at least) would ONLY accept solid lifters.

Or is it that this "late model" (after 1966) service block WAS drilled for hydraulic lifters and then the oil feed hole size was "reduced" to allow for the solid lifters? An important issue if you want to run hydro or solids down the road.

An interesting motor at what appears to be a somewhat high price for a "side oiler" that really "isnt"???? It's complicated at best.

Last edited by Excaliber; 10-12-2004 at 08:45 PM..
Old 10-13-2004, 03:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: -Sold- Contemporary 427S/C # CCX-3152 1966 427 Med Rise Side Oiler, 8v 3.54:1 Salisbury IRS, Koni's.. (Now I'm riding Harleys)
Not Ranked     

Service blocks were commonly modified to suit the application. You are right that hydraulic lifter engines were made from solid lifter engines by drilling out the obstruction. However many later service blocks were drilled both ways, with removable screw in allen plugs. You may want to get him to clarify this. He may be using "drilled" interchangeably or it may be a mis characterization
Late 1966 blocks on were this way, they came drilled tapped and you either took out one of the two set screws to allow oil to pass into the lifter galley.

It really isn't a lot of money considering the balanced rotating assembly alone is $2,000. Plus assembly $800. A quality prepped block is almost $3,000. Yes it has sleeves but it has 8 and will give you a better truer surface for a good long time. I can't tell you what 8 sleeves cost to install but I bet it was $800-1200.

It wouldn't surprise me if this block's owner spent $6k getting it this far. Call Doug and ask him.

A man that is young in years, may be old in hours, if he have lost no time. But that happeneth rarely. Generally, youth is like the first cogitations, not so wise as the second. For there is a youth in thoughts, as well as in ages... Sir Francis Bacon (1561-1626)
Old 10-13-2004, 03:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I just talked to him and yes it is a center oiler which was never drilled as a side oiler, but has the provision to be. Even still the machine work on the sleeves was $1200 the rotating assebmly, new crank, pistons etc would be $2,000. Yadda Yadda Yadda. It started as a .060 block which was never damaged and sat around for 10 years.

Here's the thing, depending on the heads this thing will make about 11-11.5:1 compression. It will be quite an engine for someone.

Old 10-13-2004, 05:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here's another option...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=34202

Old 10-13-2004, 05:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Engine

Thoughts on this one?
Old 10-13-2004, 06:07 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Tough finding the right 427 FE, buyer beware sums it up pretty good. The .040 over block looks like a good price at the CURRENT bid price (less than 3000). But that .040 over bore is worrisome at best, regardless of what the guy "says", .040 is really out there for a 427. Plus the pistons shown indicate .030. So whats up with that? I'm a little fuzzy on wether the engine does or doesn't come with the NASCAR crank/rods etc.

The last one offered sounds a little hjgh for a totally bare block with cement filling half the cooling ports. Must have been a drag racer in it's day.

No matter WHAT 427 FE I was to buy I would serioulsy consider shipping it to Gessford and have it totally checked out. Figure shipping and machine work above and beyond the cost of the block or short block as the case may be.

Kind of fun "shopping" though!
Old 10-14-2004, 02:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Excaliber - you're right...it's kinda fun to shop for a 427.

Always looking for the "next great thing to do" on the Cobra. Already have a good 428 that was build by Randy Ritchey out of in AR (complete with reasonable HP/TQ and loud sounds) but I just can't seem to resist the urge to want a 427.....
Old 10-14-2004, 05:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

If anyone is interested in a high dollar 427 (this thread opened the door) I have one that is .005 over standard (5+ rebuilds @ .005 each and WOULDN'T need that trip to Gessfords for inspection - dyno time only! Email me for specifics although they are already public knowledge to say the least.

Pics Gallery

PS. - for those seriously interested I do have a couple dyno runs available for viewing online.
Old 10-14-2004, 09:23 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Well how about some numbers Cracker! Thats a beautiful motor. Numbers like, compression ratio and horse power at rpm. Cam profile and type, etc.

Did George build the motor? I know he favors solid flat tappet cam and compression in the "9,s" for good long lived street use.
Old 10-14-2004, 10:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Slick - You've got to be kiddin! Unless your heads buried in the sand somewhere in Ha-vai-ee you couldn't be that out-of-touch.

I don't piece meal out info. for sale items - as you know - so a comprehensive data sheet will be up possibly today but most likely by the end of Friday.

I still can't get over your questions - are you serious?

LINK TO 1st Thread (16,000+ views Ernie) = LINK

LINK TO RESULTS = LINK

Last edited by Cracker; 10-14-2004 at 10:25 AM..
Old 10-14-2004, 10:04 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Sure I'm serious, why not, it's been a fun thread. Notice I didn't go anywhere near the "dollars" question. I'm rebuilding my 427 right now and so am looking closely at the specs others have used.

Not sure why such questions would be considered "piece meal", most of us like to talk about our horse power (or lack thereof).

Mine had 667 with open headers at 6000 rpm before a roller lifter quit rolling and it ate the camshaft. I'm following Georges advice for a nice basic street build on my motor. I will surely miss the BIG horse power though!

Last edited by Excaliber; 10-14-2004 at 10:08 AM..
Old 10-14-2004, 10:31 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

This has been fun watching the info come up on this thread and it really does help in the decision process.
Went out to pay a visit to my engine builder and the topic of "cammers" came up, he showed me two older cammer short blocks he has stashed in his parts "shack". I started asking stuff like "how much" for an overhauled blueprinted and balanced bottom end. He told me it was considerably more labor intensive than a standard SO block but he would come up with an estimate for me.
I know this is a much sought after motor but I gotta believe that it would certainly enhance the value of my cobra, (if I can ever get it finished), but you know what they say...................."Hurry up and #%*+ up".
I have no expereince with this engine other than reading everything I have been able to get my hands on and what my builder explained to me. It's by no means overwhelming but it is one serious power plant, Whaddaya you think guys, you can't hit the ball unless you step up to the plate. All input much appreciated.

Mark
Old 10-14-2004, 10:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

You asked... If you want to drive your "Cammer" alot stay away from them.

Garry Grimes was the "ONE" who rebuilt Pete Robinson's Cammers for three years and he wouldn't touch one with a ten foot pole. Would it be neat? Sure, but what do you want to do with it - look at it or use it? The only real way to go, if you decided to do a cammer is install a gear drive system and get rid of the seven foot snake inside - Hoyt Grimes (Pete Robinson's Crew Chief) developed the 1st gear drive system for a Cammer back in the '60's. Generally speaking - move on.
Old 10-14-2004, 10:54 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I thought it was a lot of engine for my intentions but thats why I asked. Thanks for the input Cracker. I checked the pics you posted of your 427, well done.
I'm the guy that called you a few months back with some questions about your Weber setup, thanks for the observations and try not to get sideways unless you want to.

Mark
Old 10-14-2004, 04:18 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I wonder what the differences are between a side oiler block and a cammer block? I thought they were very close to the same thing, just the heads made the difference.

So Cracker, you got those numbers posted somewhere yet?
Old 10-16-2004, 08:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR #4928,427SO MED RISE,2-4,FULL ROLLER,TREMEC 5-SPD,TRU-TRAC 3.73
Not Ranked     

I was wondering if the sale of my 427so on ebay would be a topic brought up here!for those who made comments heres whats up-after speaking with Bill Pareham of SA he suggested i have block sonic checked before boring,checked clear,as with pistons,if you would have taken time to read the post you would have seen the new Ross .040 over pistons in the box and that the .030 over pistons were still installed on the nascar rods.sale came with choice of either cast crank and lemans rods or nascar parts.was selling to finance completion of a NOS 427so to go in a factory 5 roadster.hope that clarifies this discussion,and many missed out on some really nice parts at a reserve of $3000.00.thanks
Old 10-16-2004, 09:17 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hi Chuck, I'm surprised your 427 didn't move at that price. I bet it's because of the way the Ad is worded, it is confusing unless you read it very carefully.

Having re-read it I was still a little fuzzy on exactly what it was I was bidding on. Or perhaps the .040 overbore is a little scary for most folks? Good luck on the next go round with it.

CRACKER,,, oh THAT 427, the infamous Keith Craft motor, of course!
Old 10-17-2004, 07:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: HM-2027 / 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Excal, Cammer blocks have a provision for oil drain back from the heads.