Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 05-14-2007, 12:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 758 KC Pond 482
Not Ranked     
Default Anybody using this intake?

[IMG][/IMG]

I was leaning to the 2x4 tunnel wedge, but for simplicity sake I'm thinking of using this Dove unit instead. Any body have any experience with this? Motor would be 482 stroker, hydraulic roller.

Thanks,
Bob
Old 05-14-2007, 02:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX 4766 (Vegas Built) with 482 Aluminum Pond motor
Not Ranked     

A friend installed one on a 427. Required a lot of maching to match up to the edlebrock heads.
Old 05-14-2007, 03:04 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Those tunnel type intakes LOOK great, I would run one just for that reason! Of course the dual fours is a great looking intake as well. In either case if you really want to take advantage of their POTENTIAL you need to be running some pretty high rpm's. If your looking for max horse power make sure your hyd roller cam profile (not to mention the bottom end of the motor, crank/rods, etc.) will support a high rpm application.

If it's mostly a 'street' cruiser a single carb with smaller intake runner ports would be a better solution (how boring is THAT)!
Old 05-14-2007, 03:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427 (KMP 266); CAV GT40
Not Ranked     

before my webers I ran a demon 750 with a victor intake much like the Dove, it ran great with no problems at any RPM.
Old 05-14-2007, 05:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 758 KC Pond 482
Not Ranked     

Well, the intended use is primarily street with occasional track days. I won't be twisting the motor much over 5500 rpm. My thinking is that these motors have plenty of low end for the street, and a manifold like this might help out in the mid-range where you can actually use the power exiting a medium speed corner.

I suppose I should run this by KC and get his take on it and find out what he's seen on the dyno. I will be using Edelbrock heads, so if it requires extensive machine work, that might be a considerable expense. It's going to bad enough as it is!

Thanks for you input guys.

Bob
Old 05-14-2007, 09:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Coupla little problems with single-plane manifolds. 1) The idle is going to be inconsistant - it doesn't settle immediately in at 850 RPM's. It kinda wanders done for a few seconds, then settles in nicely. 2) They are all cold-blooded by design because they don't get heated by anything nearby. You need to brake left-footed in order to keep the engine lit until it warms up a bit.

If you can love with these little peccadillos, they can add 40-75 HP depending on the rest of the rngine. I got about 75 peak HP at 5,000 RPM's over the Performer RPM. Plus I love the look.

Brian
Old 05-14-2007, 09:33 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I'm running the high riser (OEM 1964) heads and 2X4 intake. When I first got the car it had a 'bad to the bone' solid roller and LOVED 7000. The cam profile was so radical it was a tough to drive comfortably on the street below 3000 plus rpm, and would just explode with power from 4000 up.

Out with the old, in with a new flat tappet 1800 to 6200 rpm range cam. Now I KNOW that cam falls far short of what my intake and heads will SUPPORT as far as horse power goes. And it is STILL a little rough in the morning (that intake has no heat riser built in to it) until it warms up good. Idle speed needs to be 900 or higher to be 'comfortable'. It could be the cam (Comp Cam 292S, nice lumpy idle) or it could be the BIG ports/head/cam combo. It's definitly OK on the street, but not perfect, just something a guy has to get used to.

I love the 2X4 look, and the Tunnel style intake is also right there for that 'cool' factor.

Heck the car STILL runs in the 11's, the mpg is TWICE what I used to get and streetability aint bad. I'd go for the Tunnel!
Old 05-14-2007, 09:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Mrk III 427 SO TP 2x4 and a toploader
Not Ranked     

I'm running the duel TP version and its actually quite streetable. Mileage isn't so great, but the eyeball factor makes up for it. Go for it!

Old 05-16-2007, 03:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Good manifold with FI system

xracerbob Bob I am running this manifold for 8 years on my 452 motor. I did have to do some cleanup work on the pushrod holes and coolant passages. With the FI system the car runs great with go power and a flat tork and HP curve. I am running a 501-533 cam. Shelby block and heads. 368 hp and 460 tork. 1,200 cfm throttle body on the top. You might want to go the the FE-Forumn. There is a guy, Joe Craine that will match the ports on most manifolds. Matching the runners helps. 30-40 cfm readings in differents between ports. Side note, It took 10 months to get manifold No other problems. Make sure you check all the pushrod holes for clearance through the whole travel of the pushrod. Rick L
Old 05-17-2007, 09:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrision FE 427 so 2-4s
Not Ranked     

I bought my car used . The Dove 2x4 tunnel wedge is what it came with. It has problems, the engine is almost level so carbs are on an incline ,a little more than the line of the hood. It is tall enough that I have to trim the S&H aircleaner perforated steel rings to get the front and rear edges to not hit the hood and scoop. If I had nothing I would have made other choices like a custom built intake to get the carbs level ,a single four barrel intake, with a large 4150 Holley maybe a small dominator or even electronic multiport fuel injection. Dual four aircleaners are limitted restrictive. More cleaners choices are available for a single four .
Old 08-10-2007, 08:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance aluminum427
Not Ranked     

Im running that manifold on a 484 Shelby block with Eldbrock heads a holley 750 double pumper, it casme from southern automotive. i havent had any problems with it
Old 08-12-2007, 05:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Hood clearance in an ERA chassis may be a problem...

the Dove intake may not fit under the hood of you ERA with machining the carb pad ,if possible.

SFFD

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: