Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-27-2004, 11:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my beloved Shelby CSX 4068, Gessford 427 Ford
Not Ranked     
Question Shelby vs Edelbrock water pumps?

I need to buy a new water pump for my 427, and am wondering if anyone has used either the Shelby or Edelbrock aluminum FE pumps. Preference? Recommendations? Pros/cons?
Old 10-27-2004, 01:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold 3047 & 3002 in 2012
Not Ranked     
Default Pump

Dove looks the most correct and has aluminum impeller. Will not cavitate and has great flow.

www.competitionlife.com

"Hurry Up And Live"
Old 10-27-2004, 02:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Doug D I have an Edelbrock water pump. I have had no problem with it. What is the price different between the 3. I don't need to buy a name and pay $20.00 extra. My 2 cents. I think the only different is the plate they rivet on to the impeller for more flow. The Edelbrock has this. I don't know about the others. You can buy the kit for $10.00 and do it yourself. Rick Lake
Old 10-28-2004, 08:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Rick
I just checked prices:

$160 Edelbrock (Summit)
$190 Shelby (Shelby)
$180 Dove (Gessford - not sure - web site list both Dove
and Edelbrock, but only one price?)

Anyone know if Dove has a web site? Or a vendor with a web site that stocks Dove products?
Old 10-28-2004, 09:21 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

http://www.doveengineparts.com/

and my thoughts on Pumps....of course we all appreciate the fact that Edelbrock offers the parts they do for the FE engines....that's a given for sure.....
I appreciate that Dove has been in the business a very long time providing FE parts...I needed them when I did my Cobra in 93...they were very helpful then and continue to be!
Shelby on the other hand has done much to support our need for FE parts too....in fact I don't see Edelbrock doing a block for us but Shelby saw the need and did the deed....we wouldn't be able to operate without this source! So I'd much prefer to spend the little extra for the Shelby Pump in support of the help he's offered the FE market....call me old fashion...but the pumps work well and look great and will continue to be something to see when you open the hood....
by the way we quit selling the Edelbrock pumps last March and only handle Shelby at 175$....and Dove for special orders.
G

Last edited by GEORGE ANDERSON; 10-28-2004 at 09:32 PM..
Old 10-28-2004, 09:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427 brushed aluminum with Keith Craft 527C.I. all aluminum FE
Not Ranked     

We use the Edelbrock waterpumps with great succes and the Shelby is just a Edelbrock with the Shelby name. I can sell you either one for 159.00 and either will work great for you. The Dove is to high and he could get that when he did not have any compitition. Good luck, Keith Craft
Old 10-29-2004, 05:31 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I love Club Cobra.....buy that Shelby Pump from Keith and support Shelby.....I have now accomplished my goal because with that great pricing you have no reason to buy the Edelbrock pump from Summit and will be supporting Shelby. Keith's comment about the Shelby being an Edelbrock with a different name is right on the money....now Edelbrock gets a sale and Shelby gets a sale and Keith is helping you do it.....
Go Keith!
G
Old 10-29-2004, 06:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

George
You are a gentleman and a scholar! I was actually trying to decide between you and Keith for the pump. I agree, sometimes a few extra dollars are worth it to support a business you want to see continue to make money and be in business a long time. Both you and Keith run reputable firms, and both deserve to have Club Cobra members buy from you for the reasons I listed above. Quite a conundrum for those of us out here that want to support both.

Thanks everyone for the input. I'm gonna buy the Shelby pump from Keith. Why not, for the same price. I do own a Shelby, after all.
Old 10-29-2004, 11:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Smile

Thanks George, and thanks to our customers for the support!

Not a lot of people realize that Carroll Shelby Enterprises is much smaller than companies like Edelbrock. Rather than this place being the financial giant we wish it were, it exists to provide Cobra and FE enthusiasts with a venue for buying engine parts and adding Shelby content to their automobile. Producing your own engine block or cylinder heads is a difficult and sometimes unprofitable endeavor, hence the demise of the ill-fated Dove and Genesis FE block programs. Thanks to the support of our customers, we've produced over 500 Shelby FE blocks to date, and over 200 Shelby engines. We appreciate it and we're working on new stuff!

Chris Weisberg
Carroll Shelby Enterprises
(310) 538-2914
Old 10-29-2004, 02:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000, 427
Not Ranked     

The Shelby dual plane and single plane intake manifolds appear to be the same as the Edelbrock performer rpm and victor manifold as well.
"After jumping into an early lead, Miles pitted for no reason. He let the entire field go by before re-entering the race. The crowd was jumping up and down as he stunned the Chevrolet drivers by easily passing the entire field to finish second behind MacDonald's other team Cobra. The Corvette people were completely demoralized."
Old 10-29-2004, 02:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Anthony,

The manifolds are based on the Edelbrocks but they're finished differently. Our plenum divider is a little different and so is the detail at the rear of the manifold for the breather flange.

We don't have a single plane yet.

Chris Weisberg
Carroll Shelby Enterprises
(310) 538-2914
Old 10-29-2004, 07:29 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Sigh,,,,, the 12" McCleod clutch and pressure plate I bought from Chris (Vitamin C) didn't come with "Shelby" stamped on them anywhere, no signature or nothing!

Aw what the heck, I haven't been able to figure out how to show it off anyway!
Old 11-05-2004, 01:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Just to bring this thread to an end - I received the water pump from Keith yesterday. Just what the doctor ordered. Thanks everyone for your input.
Doug
Old 11-18-2004, 08:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: -Sold- Contemporary 427S/C # CCX-3152 1966 427 Med Rise Side Oiler, 8v 3.54:1 Salisbury IRS, Koni's.. (Now I'm riding Harleys)
Not Ranked     

Are you sure Vic isn't making Carrols water pumps? I bet he is. They go back more than 45 years.

A man that is young in years, may be old in hours, if he have lost no time. But that happeneth rarely. Generally, youth is like the first cogitations, not so wise as the second. For there is a youth in thoughts, as well as in ages... Sir Francis Bacon (1561-1626)
Old 11-19-2004, 08:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

scobrac
Yes, I believe Edelbrock is the source for Shelby's water pumps. Keith pointed that out in one of the above posts.

I gotta say, though, that at the same price as the Edelbrock, I prefer the Shelby pump with their logo rather than the Edelbrock name.