Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-20-2004, 06:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 #708, 427 SO
Not Ranked     
Default 406fe

Have an opportunity to purchase a 63-64 406FE. It is completely machined, pressure tested, painted and ready to build. It is supposedly standard bore. It is also cross-bolted.

Asking price is $2,250.

The 406FE is visually identical to the 428FE?

What do you think?

Will I have any issues building this motor. Parts readily available?
Old 11-21-2004, 05:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Anyone?
Old 11-21-2004, 05:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

Seems a little high for an engine that needs freshened up. A buddy of mine had the record for super stock in drag racing years back....he kept it for years and years....and used a 406FE built by Keith Craft. Apparently it was a high revving son of a gun.

Visually similar? Most FE's look like each other except for a 427SO. And then you have to know what to look for. Don't think a 428 has cross bolted mains does it?

I don't think you'll have any issues building it....should be the same as any other FE.
Old 11-21-2004, 05:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427 (KMP 266); CAV GT40
Not Ranked     

What parts are included? chuck
Old 11-21-2004, 05:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: HM-2027 / 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Sweet! I love those 406's. That is not a bad price at all. I've seen complete rebuilt 406's go for double that. The 406 was a 62 1/2 till 63 1/2 only deal. It has the same 4.13 bore as the 428 but uses a 3.78 stroke crank. If it's original it should have grooved main journals on the crank. The cross bolts were likely added later at some point in it's life. The blocks were cast with the crossbolt bosses in place and some 406 blocks have very thick 427 walls and all have enlarged oil passages and oil pressure relief valves. It should be a solid lifter block and you will see "HP" cast on the side and rear of the block and also inside by the cam and main bearings. If it does not have the "HP" it's not a true 406! They also sported lowriser heads and intake with some using the 3x2 tripower setup. HOWEVER some guys will bore a 390 .080 and call it a 406 so take a good look. Get the casting numbers and date code off the block and heads and let me know what they are. The block should have the older 2 bolt motor mounts also. The last 406 I saw on ebay was close to $4000 but the guy shilled the bid being greedy. Nice find! G.
Old 11-21-2004, 06:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

FFR428

I will see what else I can find out.

The $2,250 asking price was just for the machined block in "ready to build" condition. No heads or crank included. Seller talked about oil passages being opened up already. Block is freshly painted and new freeze plugs?

Seller is an engine builder here in Lafayette, NJ. He also builds a couple of Cobras a year using his own frames and Unique bodies.

So you say the cross bolts may not have been original? However engine was designed for cross bolts. Is this a bad thing if it was done later in life?

Again, parts will available for this somewhat offbeat FE? (ie edelbrock heads and intake)?

Thanks again.
Old 11-21-2004, 06:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thats a bit steep for just the block. I found mine for $1500 complete including the tripower but needed a rebuild and going through. The block is .030. Yes most of the 406's were not crossbolted as many think by Ford but there were a few. However lots of them have been converted and it's a good upgrade as some of the 406's had the bosses for crossbolting cast into the block. Parts will be no problem to find to build it either. There is a 406 block .030 on ebay now and the last I saw sold for $800. The item number for the current listing is 4505928446. What is the casting number of the block your looking at? I can let you know if it's a factory crossbolted block or not. If it is a original crossbolt block it might be worth the money as they are few and far between. I've only seen ONE true factory crossbolted block in my time. G.
Old 11-21-2004, 06:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Oh and BTW the 406 oil passages were stock 427 size from the factory unless he opened them up more for some reason. The casting number will tell the story though. G.
Old 11-21-2004, 06:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

After thinking I take that oil passage comment back, Some of the very early 406's were 390HP blocks carried over and bored to 4.13 sorry for the mixup. The one crossbolted 406 I saw was a C2AE-6015-BD and was rumored to be one of a small batch Ford cast and approved for NASCAR. The 406 is a weird block and had six versions cast in the year they were used. As the horsepower wars raged on Ford was upgrading them to compete in racing. It's kind of a tweener between the 390HP and early 427's and was ever changing to be better. As the 406's were blowing up on track the 427 was being developed and the 406 was the test mule for these changes. The rest as we know with the introduction of the 427 is history. G.
Old 11-21-2004, 08:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

BTW while the $2250 asking price seems a little high he probably has a bit of $$$ into it. I overlooked the fact that it's crossbolted and machined ready to build. Figure crossbolting would cost the average joe $600-800 with the cap cost figured in. The block machining and cleanup another $500-700 depending on what was done. I see std 406 blocks for around $600-800 needing machining and basic cleanup. So depending on what the cost of the block was it seems to be around what you would spend to have all this done plus the cost of the block. Adds up quick huh? At first glance it did see high but after thinking it's an ok deal. Offer him $1800 but I have a feeling $2000 is the magic number he's looking for. Sorry to be so long winded. G.
Old 11-21-2004, 10:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique FIA
Not Ranked     
Question

Cbmax,
Is the guy who is selling the block named Mike?
Steve
Old 11-21-2004, 10:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Check your PM's
Old 11-21-2004, 02:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

cbmax PM returned. G.
Old 11-22-2004, 07:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None yet, saving $ for a Kirkham. Buy a FE from me and I'll be that much closer.
Not Ranked     

cbmax,

Be careful about this block. There were no 406 blocks with 64 casting numbers or dates. There were, however, lots of 390 and 352 blocks with 63 and 64 casting numbers that had the bosses for cross bolts. I've run across a bunch of these old 390 blocks that someone has installed 427 caps and cross bolts, then tried to pass it off as a 406 or 427. As has been said, the casting numbers will tell. The 406 casting numbers all look different from normal FE casting numbers. They are smaller letters and are right up at the front of the block on the drivers side. Should be C2XX or C3XX if it is a 406. It will also be a solid lifter only block and should have a oil pressure relief valve exactly like a 427 center oiler. It will also have the letters HP cast in the lifter valley.

There were, though not many, 406 blocks that were cross bolted by Ford. It could be that this is one of them. Steve Christ's FE book is a great resource for casting number research.

The price is also a bit steep for the bare block. You can buy a useable 427 block for that much. The 406 block makes a VERY nice engine when built with 428 crank and pistons.

Thanks for looking and have a blessed day!
"For whosoever shall call upon the name of the LORD shall be saved."
Romans 10:13
Old 11-22-2004, 04:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

rritchey

Think I'll stay away from this one.

The 427 center oiler or 428CJ are my first choices. This 406 was intriguing due to the cross bolts, but not if it truly a 390 in disguise. I don't think it will be worth the aggravation with the seller trying to get to the bottom of it all.

I'll just keep on hunting.

Thanks.