Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-21-2004, 06:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B cobra (sold), Hurricane HMS1002 (sold), Kirkham 289 FIA, (sold) RCR GT 40(sold) SPF GT40 2122(sold) Hurricane HMS2002, (sold) RCR SLC (sold) GTR on the way!
Not Ranked     
Default what is the best intake?

As some of you know I am building a 427SO for my new Cobra. You will probably get tired of all the questions but I Have built a cobra before and I spent a lot of money on parts that I found out later were not the best choice. In an effort to avoid most of that I need some advice. So this question is about FE intakes. I currently have an Edle. 427 intake. Are there othe intakes that do a MUCH better job or are they all about the same. This is on a road racer and I have heard to stick to a single 4v setup. Lets hear some opinions!

By the way, Rockers are next. I guess I should through that out there as well. Do you need to change the shafts, rockers, stands and spacers to get a bullet proof rocker system? These are for a MR set of Oem heads. Which brands do the experts use? (That would be you guys!)
Old 11-22-2004, 04:33 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA # 665, 390 (to start with) Toploader
Not Ranked     
Default I'd look for a sidewinder.

If you are using MR heads I'd look for a sidewinder intake. They offset the carb a little to the left side of the car to equalize the runner length.

Second choice would probably be one of the blue thunder MR intakes. They make 2 versions and I don't know the particulars.

For rockers most people swear by the Ersons. Crane has a new set coming out too and there are several others.

Good luck, Chuck
Old 11-22-2004, 05:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

Dean,

Go with the Sig Ersons and I think you should find a High Riser Tunnel Ram. Cut a 12 inch hole in your hood so everyone can see your carb. That would be way cool dude!!

Clois

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 11-22-2004, 09:29 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Road racing I would 100% go with a single four.

I prefer an original style intake myself, and of those the side winder does indeed seem to be best choice. BUT, I'm not sure how it stacks up against the modern intakes available.

I don't think a side winder was available for the high riser heads like I have.
Old 11-22-2004, 06:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Which Edelbrock intake?

If you have the Edelbrock F427 intake, you've got a pretty decent manifold but I don't remember offhand if it's got the MedRiser or LoRiser ports. If it's LoRiser in port design, then the manifold of choice would be the MedRiser Sidewinder. I've got a Sidewinder on my 406 in a drag only '64 Fairlane and it runs solid 11.O's with an occaisional drop in the 10.90's if the air gets really good. I've got a Performer RPM on a streetable 390 Fairlane and I'm happy with its performance (12.50's through the mufflers).

Some of the other gurus can comment on the F427 manifold in which port configuration it has. I haven't run one of those in over 25 years but it was stout on the 427's and 428's at the time.

Ted.
Old 11-22-2004, 07:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrision FE 427 so 2-4s
Not Ranked     

It is all a trade off.If you go with a tall tunnel ram,hood clearence and air cleaners become compromised.The more redical you go with any modification the more other modifications are needed to realize the original modifications potential.
Old 11-22-2004, 09:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF replica, 351W, about 420 HP
Not Ranked     

The intake RPM "window" should match the RPM use that you plan on driving your Cobra.

"If you think that you can cut it, if you think you got the time, you'll only get just one chance, better get it right first time. 'Cause in this game you're playing, if you lose you got to pay, and if you make just one wrong move, you'll get BLOWN AWAY. Expect no mercy.
Old 11-22-2004, 09:33 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Edley, EXCELLENT point, and adding to that, the rear gear ratio becomes a major player.

The key is getting all the components to work together. High rpm intake used with a lower rpm "torque" type cam will NOT work well together.

A single plane intake on a "torque monster" built motor is kind of a waste of time. One thing works well at low rpm, the other at high rpm!
Old 11-22-2004, 09:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

How about some more info on your plans for the rest of the engine, plus some info on the car's gearing, transmission, etc.
Old 11-23-2004, 03:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

dlampe Come on Weber intake with a set of 58mm, Top of the line rockers, start with Jessel or T&D. Sharps are next with the complete roller rocker, not the bushing one. Ersons would be after these. You get what you pay for. You have to get amchine work for some of the kits, top ones, the others are bolt ons. How big a cam is going in this motor? RPM range? The smaller the cam, the easier it is on the valve train. Any single plane manifold with port matching is good to 7800 rpm but your motor is not nascar. Match the intake, heads, cams, compression, and exhaust to run best in what rpm you want. Build a tork motor, the hp will come with it. Bigger is not always better. You could buy Cracker's motor Rick Lake
Old 11-23-2004, 05:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B cobra (sold), Hurricane HMS1002 (sold), Kirkham 289 FIA, (sold) RCR GT 40(sold) SPF GT40 2122(sold) Hurricane HMS2002, (sold) RCR SLC (sold) GTR on the way!
Not Ranked     
Default More info on the build

The rear end gear is probably a 3.5 to 1 and the tranny is a tko600 roadrace with a .82 overdrive. I can't see running this motor over 6500 rpm's. I will probably run the erson rollers with a solid flat tappit cam. I have not looked at cams yet but I would be open to any suggestions. I like the rough idle, but I need to be fast under 6500 rpms which I know is possible.

The bottom end has polished LeMans rods and will have custom pistons set to about 11 to 1 compression. I have only used 110 octane in the past and will probably continue to do so. Standard steel 427 crank with an aluminum flywheel.

As I said earlier, I have a 427 edlebrook intake with a totally trick holley 750 DP. The usual MSD eletronics will bring the fire!
Old 11-23-2004, 06:08 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA # 665, 390 (to start with) Toploader
Not Ranked     
Default Is it the F427?

The F427 Edelbrock intake is said to be pretty good. I'd stick with it for now and see if you like it.

Chuck
Old 11-23-2004, 12:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Rick,

You forgot about the Shelby rockers. I haven't had hands-on a set of Harland Sharps, but I understand ours offer better geometry. Shelby rockers are also investment-cast stainless steel instead of just an aluminum extrusion.

Chris Weisberg
Carroll Shelby Enterprises
(310) 538-2914