Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-29-2004, 11:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Crendon 406FE(Southern Automotive)
Not Ranked     
Default Engine age

Hi,
Can anyone help me out please?
I have just imported an engine from SA and the following number is cast on the block
C6ME.
this number is stamped onto the block
7D14N
I need to be able to prove the age of the engine for emissions test purposes in the UK.
I have Emailed FORD and they cannot help. Does anyone know where I can get this information from.

THanks in advance,
Peter.
Old 11-29-2004, 12:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via MSN to CowtownCobra
Not Ranked     

pthomas,

C6ME:

C indicates 1960's
6 indicates model year '66
ME is for type of vehicle it came out of

however,

7D14N:

7 means manufactured in year 7 of the decade
D means manufactured in April
14 means 14th of the month
N ?

What else can you tell us about this motor?
Old 11-29-2004, 01:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Crendon 406FE(Southern Automotive)
Not Ranked     

Its a 390 bored out to 406 and thats all I can say. Why does the number stamped on the engine not match the casting number?

Peter.
Old 11-29-2004, 01:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via MSN to CowtownCobra
Not Ranked     

Because one is a model year code, and one is a foundary date stamp.

But why would a model year '66 be cast in 1967? Doesn't make sense, does it.
Old 11-29-2004, 04:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: HM-2027 / 427 SO
Not Ranked     

The C6ME 390 block was used for 66 and 67. There is not C7 390 casting and the reason for the 66 block code and 67 build date code. The N is most likely a plant control number/letter. G.

Last edited by FFR428; 11-29-2004 at 05:02 PM..
Old 11-29-2004, 05:44 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

At any rate, the C6ME is the key to UK registration.

It's common knowledge that the standard Ford methed to identify parts IS like the code you have on your motor.

My connecting rods, for instance, are C6AE-E. C6 (1966) is the year, end of story. The AE-E indicates a SCJ rod (in this case).

My block is more complex, it has NO NUMBERS at all. But through knowledge of the side oilers, etc there is no doubt it's a 1968 service block drilled for hydraulic lifters side oiler. How I would "prove" that in the UK would be a nightmare!

My heads are C4XX-X,,, (1964).
Old 11-29-2004, 08:26 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4300, C5AE-H, Toploader
Not Ranked     

I beleive the "N" or for that matter the very last letter in a ford part numbers indicates (I forget the term) when a part may change it's design from it's original design or style. That block was originally designed in 66 for a particular application but when it is carried over to another year only the date code changes not the part number. If small changes are made to the block over it's life than the last letter would change.
Old 11-30-2004, 02:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Excal, does you service block have a date code that starts with two dots under a number? G.
Old 11-30-2004, 05:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Metaline 1969 Ford 390 bored to 402ci
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by Sal Gerace

I beleive the "N" or for that matter the very last letter in a ford part numbers indicates (I forget the term) when a part may change it's design from it's original design or style. That block was originally designed in 66 for a particular application but when it is carried over to another year only the date code changes not the part number. If small changes are made to the block over it's life than the last letter would change.
I thought the Ford change code was at the end of the cast number IE C6ME-N? Or maybe thats just on things like heads?

Paul
Old 11-30-2004, 07:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: Early 427 car
Not Ranked     
Default ID Markings

nm .

Last edited by Byots; 05-28-2018 at 05:38 AM..
Old 11-30-2004, 09:07 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Just below the oil fliter mount are:

E
2L4

These are the only "meaningful" numbers. So how do I know it's a 1968? Service blocks did not have numbers, like mine. Only the late model (1968 for instance) blocks were drillled for hydraulic lifters. Plus their are "ribs" cast into the external side of the block for additional strength, again only the late model blocks had these. And of course the side oiler galley is visible AND "drilled" for carrying the oil. I understand SOME late model blocks were cast as side oilers but the passage was not drilled and there were "center oilers".

352 is cast in the front of the block but all FE's have that. Next to the lifter holes (under the intake) are: "427" but MOST (all?) FE's also have that.

The late model, "ribbed" and cast for hydraulic lifters is the best 427 side oiler block out there.
Old 11-30-2004, 12:55 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4300, C5AE-H, Toploader
Not Ranked     

Sorry I screwed that up. I thought the "N" was at the end of the part number! But the Ford book shows that block being used with at least three different bore sizes. I remember my Mustang had that block and it was a 67-390.
Old 11-30-2004, 02:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hmmmmm. I've had a few 428 service blocks but not a 427. One of the 428's had the same sort of date code as your 427 and the other two dots under a 2 at the beginning and neither had casting numbers. From what I've found the dots were for a 70's block and the number over them the year cast which made it a 72 block. It had a CZAE-6010-F part number on the Ford box and was a 428 service block with the external ribs. I never did figure out the other but have it jotted down in my notes somewhere. Your looks like a Nov 4 1972 but who knows. One of my blocks had part of the date code ground off and had to use a lupe to see it better to figure it out. Service blocks have always been kind of a mystery block to some myself included. I continue to find bits and pieces of info on service blocks and find them very interesting to research. I love a good puzzle. G.
Old 12-03-2004, 06:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Something else i've stumbled across....any service block that has the external ribs is a 70's era block. Do a archive search at www.fordfe.com on 427 service blocks. Interesting reading. G.
Old 12-03-2004, 07:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters, Tweaked 351W, T-5Z, CRII Tech Support Team.
Not Ranked     

Went through a similar exercise trying to explain to a DMV inspector how to determine the "Year" of the engine using Ford part numbers and block casting codes. Had an old Motors Manual (similar to Chilton service guides today) that had part number references back to the mid '60's. Flipping through the pages, I explained how C5 = '65, C6 = '66 etc., for year of manufacture or service.

Might have to resort to this with UK DMV.